ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication

Thread: What effect does lube on bullet bases have?

What effect does lube on bullet bases have?

I been pondering on leaving lube on bullet bases vs wiping them clean. I generally wipe the bases of bullets with a rag wetted with a spritz of lighter fluid. Sometimes I don't if it's plinking ammo that I plan to shoot soon. I don't clean the bases of bullets that are tumble lubed.

So. I'm wondering, will the lube melt into the powder if it sets in the sun? Does the powder that sticks to the bases burn?

Thoughts,

Bazoo

Boolit Master

My ammo is stored in the garage. In the summer, it gets pretty warm in there.
    I quit leaving lube on the base after a few misfires with light powder loads, and ammo that was a few years old.

I figure with a large powder charge, there's enough powder to soak up any melted lube and not be noticed except on the target.
    I think a light charge hasn't got much powder to give up before it only has enough for a 'pop' left to fire.

I should get with the program and powder coat, but for now- as they come out of the sizer, I wipe the base across a old towel.
    It wasn't playing the blame game, finding fault, and complaining about every little thing that made America great.
    It was God, guns, and guts.

Never pick a fight with old people.
    If they don't think they can win it: They'll just kill you.

I don't normally have many rounds loaded in storage. It's all stored in the house.

I wonder if it would be better to dip the bullet bases in a powder rather than wipe them clean. Maybe mica or graphite dust? Maybe not better but it would be easier and quicker thank a rag with solvent like I'm doing now.

I don't think lube will will migrate from the side of the bullet between the case wall.

Boolit Bub
    I wear one brown jersey glove with the fingers cut off on the right hand. I pick out the bullet from the sizer and run the base across the palm of the glove.

Not a bad suggestion there alfadan, thanks.