RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Drum switch for Atlas Lathe

Boolit Buddy

Drum switch for Atlas Lathe

I have a 12 x 48 back gear Atlas lathe. The drum switch is going bad. I'm looking at replacements and found this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Forwar...d-tools&sr=1-1

Yea or Nay ?

Boolit Grand Master

First thing is to check the name plate on the motor for the amp draw and be sure the switch has a high enough rating. It probably does. I expect that for that price that its made in China and I would prefer an American made switch. But it will be more expensive.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That is definitely an import.........especially for that price. I paid over $100 for an American-made drum over 10 years ago.

Now I use a 220VAC VFD on my big South Bend lathe. Definitely worth the cost of conversion!!!!!!

For that small price, if it does not fit your needs, you are only out a small amount of $$. I would not be afraid of trying it.

Moderator Emeritus

If it were me, I'd possibly vote "Yea". BUT... I had a reversing switch gone bad on my lathe, and rather than replace it with a drum switch, it was replaced with a heavy duty double pole double throw -- with centre off -- switch. The one caveat for either is to NEVER EVER flip the switch while the motor is running. My school-shop-electrician buddy suggested the manual toggle switch as it was so incredibly less costly than a drum switch. We wired power to the two centre terminals, with the blue coloured starting wire to the top left switch, as well as bottom right switch terminals. And, similar with the yellow wire -- bottom left and top right. With the switch in its centre position -- motor was/is off. But, with switch to right or left will determine which direction the motor turns. Note the colours mentioned were/are on my motor -- the starting coil connectors are sometimes different on different motors -- sometimes red & green. Good luck! I did not -- my switch replacement was "pre-computer" -- but I'd be most surprised if there are not Google articles and even YouTube videos showing how to do (the switch) this.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    A while ago my motor burnt out.
    Got another motor and a drum switch off of evil bay.
    Haven't gotten around to installing the drum switch.
    Maybe some day.
    I think I paid under $50 for the switch.