RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any kayak fishermen here?

Boolit Bub

Any kayak fishermen here?

Just about to purchase a kayak. I live in FL and there's some great kayak fishing in the flats and inland bay areas. Any tips; do's/don't to pass along?

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I dont but buddies do. Never forget a knife at easy access. Water proof floating radio just in case. Make sure your "empty" before your too far from shore. Wider body kayak, for when they pull to the side. You slide slip instead of tipping over.

These guys are in shape..your gonna want a fair amount of core strength. And they are sore when they are done. These guys are middle aged construction workers in the Labor union.

Check out those kayaks you can run with your feet. Not only does it give your arms a rest, you can change gear while moving to a new spot.

I have a 12' Old Town kayak all set up for fishing. I have had it for close to 8 years and use it to "workout" in the summer time. I will paddle for a bit, stop take a break, cast a line, but have yet to ever catch a dang fish lol. However I will give you some advice for kayaking open water.

Wind, pay attention to it! Your body will act as a sail and the wind that was at your back going across the lake is twice as bad going back.
    Waves, even little white caps will make you feel like a viking crossing the ocean in a storm. Sure is a lot of fun but you will have to bale some water often.
    Boats, wont see you if they aren't paying attention. Hug the shore or make sure you are highly visible. I carry a signaling mirror to let boats know where I am at.
    Capsizes, if you flip or fill up with water stay with your kayak. Most of them have internal flotation you can perch on top of until help arrives.
    Learn the tipping point of your kayak (side to side) close to shore first.
    Water proof stuff sack for all your important stuff. Phone, keys, wallet, shoes and dry clothes.
    Invest in a good paddle. The cheap ones will work but you will instantly feel a difference when you get a better paddle. Shoot just a little bit of expanding foam into each paddle for added flotation for when you drop your paddle in the water lol.

Have fun man kayaks are a blast.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I've done some kayaking already so I know about some of what you suggested. In FL, most people prefer the 'sit on top' type which are 'self-bailing' which is a good thing if nature calls. I'm going to buy one that has been pre-fitted for rod holders and area for stowage of small tackle containers.

Boolit Mold
    I would make sure you have a whistle around your neck so you can warn off motorboaters if they are not paying attention. Make sure to get a nice paddler life jacket as well. Keeps you safe and ensures you are comfortable while paddling.

I have a 12' Old Town i've outfitted for fishing as well!

Boolit Master
    Watch for sharks & stay away from the boaters they are equally dangerous!

https://youtu.be/bHa9WpOUyVI

https://www.newsweek.com/sick-hungry...-kayak-1497706

Have a buddy in another one so you can video each other when a big catfish gets on.

Here; You'll see them take folks for a 'Nantucket sleigh ride' once in awhile, and its a hoot to watch.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    not a kayak, not fishing, but I run crab traps and crab lines in the wife's 11' canoe.
    I'm in coastal georgia.

Boolit Master

My Son has this one and loves it so far https://www.cabelas.com/product/boat...5.uts?slotId=4
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Academy sports .....pescador 120......it's the old wilderness systems 12 footer bought it for fishing st Andrews bay in the panhandle

Ive been running jugs out of my kayaks this summer. Lots of fun. Last year i did a bit of casting. Ive got sit ins that i put a couple rod holders in. I keep tackle in the well where legs are supposed to go, and my legs just sit on top. Works for me. I do want a pedal drive pretty bad though.

For anyone wondering, i pull a second kayak filled with most of the jugs, keeping about 5 in mine. Takes a little bit over an hour to drop/check 35 jugs.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I’ve been fishing from a poke boat for over 25 years. Perfect for trans versing the deep pools on the smaller rivers to wade fish. Good on the family fishing lakes for bream and catfish. My tackle is in my shirt pocket and I really like the simplicity and lite weight. My poke boat weighs 35 lbs, can carry it down to the water most any reasonable place.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have an Old Town Loon 10 feet long that is not set up for fishing. I use it in the evenings to fish for bass and bluegill working the shoreline on a good sized lake. It works well when I keep the gear to a minimum and the trip to an hour or two. Ski boats can make it rough with the chop and waves but that's why I fish in the evening. Casting isn't bad and I can even fish a fly rod if I keep the casts reasonable. After an hour or two of sitting the lower back gets a bit sore.

I have used two different kayaks and a few canoes to fish from over the years. I add floats to my paddles by adding a line float or a 12" piece of pool noodle in the middle of the paddle. If that gets in the way just cut the noodle into 2 6" pieces and slide them down to the paddle ends. Have a cord (I use paracord) with a quick detach clip or D ring to the rod holder to keep your rod and tackle tethered to the boat if you go over (ASK ME HOW I LEARNED THIS!!). I also stuff a small dry bag down by my feet with a change of clothes and a towel in it, don't squeeze all the air out and it adds flotation. And make sure to bring drinks along, I just tethered a 1 quart nalgene bottle to the boat permanently, filled with water in case I forgot. In an emergency you could bail with it too. Also as stated above, get a good paddlers or fly fishing life vest and attach a whistle and waterproof flashlight. A signal mirror is also a genius idea!
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master
    Find a waterproof, floating case. Put your keys, cellphone, wallet in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33BEEA05-055D-4AFC-BCC7-03504C3DDB37.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	266063[ATTACH=CONFIG]266063

Got it at academy sports use it in St Andrews Bay in Panama City Beach

Banned

A friend of mine takes his kayak fishing in the Gulf of Mexico!

Boolit Master

I heard about a guy fishing in the Indian River inlet down by St Sebastian. He hooked a big Cobia and was on his way to Africa via fish power. Some guys in a power boat let him come aboard to fight the fish. That might be why you want a knife handy, in case no one is handy with a bigger boat. " I think we are going to need a bigger boat! "
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Not a whole lot and Only in lakes for kokanee and trout
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    Kokanee, gotta look that up. Don’t think we have them around here.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast