Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Broomhandle Mauser in .22TCM?

Boolit Man

Broomhandle Mauser in .22TCM?

I have a couple of Mauser Broomhandles, a 1930 Commercial in .30cal and a Bolo in .30cal. The bores are long gone in both of them and while I had talked to Redmans about a reline, that guy is much to cranky to deal with so I have endeavored to do it myself. I have a compromised 30-30 barrel that I can make a liner out of for the 7.63 reline but can't help but wonder what one would be like in .22TCM. I am not sure about pressure differences between the two cartridges and wonder if it would be a sane reline. Granted I could load my own to make it safe I'm sure but does anybody have any thoughts on how the Mauser would deal with the new factory cartridges? I would probably choose the 1930 Commercial since it is most likely newer than the Bolo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    I have a couple of Mauser Broomhandles, a 1930 Commercial in .30cal and a Bolo in .30cal. The bores are long gone in both of them and while I had talked to Redmans about a reline, that guy is much to cranky to deal with so I have endeavored to do it myself. I have a compromised 30-30 barrel that I can make a liner out of for the 7.63 reline but can't help but wonder what one would be like in .22TCM. I am not sure about pressure differences between the two cartridges and wonder if it would be a sane reline. Granted I could load my own to make it safe I'm sure but does anybody have any thoughts on how the Mauser would deal with the new factory cartridges? I would probably choose the 1930 Commercial since it is most likely newer than the Bolo.
    Wikipedia says the .22TCM cartridge fired in a pistol moves a 40grain bullet at 2070FPS in a 5" barrel, and 2800fps in a 22.75" rifle barrel. I happened to look up the .30 Mauser round earlier today, and they're rated for a 1450FPS with 60 or 70grain bullet. I'm thinking the difference in pressures would be too much for either of your Mauser pistols. Maybe a replica made of modern heat-treated steels would be safe.

Personally, I want an 1896 Mauser myself, but I haven't managed to blow up a gun yet, and I wouldn't want to do this on a gun I'd drool over if I could get to it. Makes more sense to have it sleeved to.30 cal, and keep shooting it, IMO. YMMV, of course. I'll tell you, if I can ever find a set of blueprints for the thing, I'm surely going to try to build my own. I've managed to lay eyes on one once in my life, and it was $1450 and so far out of my range I couldn't see it from there!

Boolit Buddy

I wouldnt choose a 22 tcm, pressure is a bit high for the Mauser steel and mechanism. I have lined a couple of them back to .310 for the .30 Mauser cartridge, and there are the Red Nines out there in 9 parabellum. Some folks insist on shooting the Tokarev ammo and that's not smart at all. Think on it for a while before you jump in...

Boolit Master

This brings up another question . . .
    Is Redman's the only place now doing relines on 96s.

I kept saying I was going to send one off to a place in FL that used to list in "Gun List" and they seem to have bitten the dust.
    I'm thinking 9 mm!

Boolit Grand Master
    The standard Mauser load was an 86 grain bullet at 1450 FPS, twice as heavy as the TCM bullet. IN the one test I saw The 22 TCM did not run at 2070, but more like 2040. The TCM runs at 40,000 psi, roughly 10% higher than the Mauser round. If I did this modification, I would restrict it to hand loads in the 1800 FPS range.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the replies!
    Certainly it could be done by reduced power handloads but I feel that that would not be safe for the next owner who may not reload. So I guess that I will continue on with the .30 caliber reline although I think it would have been pisser to have one in .22TCM.
    Redmans will no longer do a 9mm reline or rebore so you are stuck with the .30 call reline if you go with him. Be prepared to pay more than his advertised price though. He will tell you that his website has not been updated and that there has been a price increase. If you don't like it, he'll charge you $75 just to return your upper even though you already payed for the postage. Then he will tell you don't send him anymore work because he does not want to deal with a customer like that - a customer who expects the work to be done for the advertised price.

The recoil impulse is very light with the .22TCM. You'd have to really drop the spring pressure which could be a problem if the breech opens while the cartridge is still under pressure.
    The fire ball would be impressive if you did get it to work.
    I was able to buy from Armscor in the P.I, the first .22TCM sold in NM. It is a fun cartridge to shoot.

Boolit Master
    A CZ52 would probably be a good choice...………...
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    This brings up another question . . .
    Is Redman's the only place now doing relines on 96s.
    Randy is the only one that I am aware of. I had one done several years ago. He turned it around fast. His communication was short, almost terse, but I realized he is a one man show and he doesn't have time to develop a relationship with everyone who emails him.

At that time I had him reline one for me, he would only reline to the original chambering of .30 Mauser. He said 9mm left too little metal at the end of the barrel to keep the front sight intact, so more work for him, if I recall correctly. Also there is the issue of some very hot 9mm loads out there that would strain the old Mauser. I've shot 9mm submachine gun loads, unwittingly, in a newer CZ75 and they made me jump. They'd tear up an old gun.

Looking clsely at the design and small size of the bolt stop in a C96, the part that keeps the upper receiver from recoiling back into your face, I caution ANY attempts to "speed up" the chambering.

Bulldogger