Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coated cast in Glocks

Boolit Buddy

I have cast for many 9mm Glocks. I found that generally when I get leading, it is because I did something with the hitek improperly. I size 99% of my 9mm to .357 and powdercoat now and my Glocks actually look cleaner after shooting than before. I'm not knocking Hi-tek, I ran it for several years but it can be a fickle beast and unless youre smash testing and acetone wiping every single batch, you can get some that slip by. I just had to remelt 500 .311 boolits because I bungled something in the coating process.

I just dumped a Glock 17 for a CZ because I didn't want to take chances with a loose chamber. I have had a couple of tight barrels throated by Doug, but the Glock I only shot jacketed rounds through it and got rid of it after the newness wore off.

Boolit Master

I thought there was an absolutely never do it rule about using a Lee Factory Crimp die with cast bullets. If not there should be.

A properly adjusted Lee collet die is a much better option.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I thought there was an absolutely never do it rule about using a Lee Factory Crimp die with cast bullets. If not there should be.

A properly adjusted Lee collet die is a much better option.
    Lots of us use that die with good results .

I shoot a whole lot of cast 40 in my G35. But I shoot it through a KKM barrel.
    My stock Glock barrel only had less than 50 rounds through it until I went to Front Sight a little while back...
    WWG1WGA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Did you smash test the bullets? you should be able to flatten them & have the coating be intact. Are you seating & cr9imping in separate steps? Are you flaring enough that the coatring isn't scraping off the base edge someplace?
    IMO, forget slugging, modern bbls are pretty uniform & if you load for more than one gun, & have diff bore dia, an issue. If you are sizing down in the dreaded LFCD, that could be part of the problem, but I have never gotten leading like that in any Glock regardless of the bullet size. That looks like coating failure. I used to run 0.357" in all my 9mm but went back to 0.356" because Ioad in mixed brass & would get the occasional fat round. No issues with accuracy or leading, commercial HT bullets or my own. The only powder I have ever seen hard on coated bullets is TG, so me, I would & do avoid TG.
    that would have been my first test. I think you just coated a batch that werent cured well enough. With pc it shouldnt matter what alloy your using at pistol velocitys. If shot 10s of thousands of coated bullets through my many glocks and never got leading. I size all my 9mm bullets to 357 and have never had an issue with any of them and ive got 6 different 9mm glocks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123