Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Help identifying type of hull

Boolit Mold

Help identifying type of hull

I am looking for some assistance identifying the type of hull I have so that I can figure out some loads for it. Forgive me, I have been reloading rifle and pistol for 19 years but am just now getting into shotshell reloading.

These hulls are close to 30 years old but seem in good shape yet. Still have some of the loaded rounds left even.

They were from Winchester #6 Pheasant Loads. 1 1/4 oz of shot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Outside of hull
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	124CD199-3D9C-48EB-AEB1-615EBCC39126.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	262123

Hull base

Name:	0810D6BD-E117-42EC-902F-59373CC14EBC.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	262124

Interior components less powder and shot (1 1/4 oz of #6 shot)

Name:	356E676C-80F6-48A8-B46A-53AE8384B47F.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	262125

Boolit Buddy
    Well, it would have been a good shell to shoot, but not now.

All kidding aside, why mess with hulls like that? There are too many hulls out there that are easier to find lad data for in any Lyman book, and all the powder manufacturers have online load data. Below are a couple. That hull would load as a SW hull, but IIRC many of those Winchester hunting loads were heat sealed and were a real PITA getting a decent crimp out of it again. Just go to a local trap club, and be a hull ***** for just a few minutes. You will find much better SW hulls to reload, albeit, most call them eurotrash hulls, they load just fine for a one and done hull. And they are free and multiply like mice.

my two pesos,

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Boolit Buddy

According to what I found, most of the hunting loads might use a special “one of” case/wad setup. It depended on what they where trying to accomplish and the cases where special made run for specific load requirements like space, shot size and powder amount/burn rate. A shell could look just like another, until like you discovered, a pressed in base wad of unknown sizes was used.

I’m sure some of the other gurus of the shot world would know better.

IMHO

Powersgt
    Last edited by Powersgt; 05-14-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

I'd get fresh ones from a range. The 30 year old plastic is probably kind of tired by now and likes to split.
    Most ranges will let you have all you can carry, if you save them the trouble of picking 'em up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Those hulls are not the best to reload.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately Winchester has always been all over the map as far as base height goes, and that is important. Normally such hulls will be labeled game shells, or poly formed in load manuals, but that alone does not mean the shells you have are the same as what was used for the load data. Those likely don't have it, but the killer to new Winchester's is the melted crimp seal, which leaves a hole when reloaded. They are not worth loading in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Unfortunately Winchester has always been all over the map as far as base height goes, and that is important. Normally such hulls will be labeled game shells, or poly formed in load manuals, but that alone does not mean the shells you have are the same as what was used for the load data. Those likely don't have it, but the killer to new Winchester's is the melted crimp seal, which leaves a hole when reloaded. They are not worth loading in my opinion.
    Would second most of what Mega said. If you need data Lyman Shot shell Manual number two has DATA. Most of what I had where white poly based. Never liked loading them, not going to get many past 1 to 2 reloads, crimp is a 6 if I recall. Most are 8. Have wax ready, to seal ends.
    Last edited by Teddy (punchie); 05-14-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by 454bore View Post
    I am looking for some assistance identifying the type of hull I have so that I can figure out some loads for it. Forgive me, I have been reloading rifle and pistol for 19 years but am just now getting into shotshell reloading.

These hulls are close to 30 years old but seem in good shape yet. Still have some of the loaded rounds left even.

They were from Winchester #6 Pheasant Loads. 1 1/4 oz of shot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Outside of hull

Name:	124CD199-3D9C-48EB-AEB1-615EBCC39126.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	262123

Hull base

Name:	0810D6BD-E117-42EC-902F-59373CC14EBC.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	262124

Interior components less powder and shot (1 1/4 oz of #6 shot)

Name:	356E676C-80F6-48A8-B46A-53AE8384B47F.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	262125
    454bore,

Here's my 2cents worth. Save any shells you haven't already cut open to use them as they are. Either purchase some once fired plastic one piece hulls with integral base wad such as can be found in the Winchester AA trap shells or Remington STS shells from a trap an skeet club or pick some up at a local store and shoot them so you have a quality hull to reload. These hulls will provide you with a quality platform to make many different loads from depending on your need. BPI (Ballistic Products Inc) a reloading supply business that specializes in shotshell reloading or a good LGS can steer you to the wads, powders, and loading equipment that will get you loading quality shells in no time and without wasting a bunch of your money. Getting together with a mentor that has a few years experience in this area of reloading would be greatly beneficial to your learning curve.

Boolit Master
    Life’s to short especially based on current events to be worrying over hulls . Just get a few boxes of WIN AA Skeet/trap loads or the same in REM STS shoot them up and load those . In my biased opinion either of those are probably the best all around hulls for 12 , 20 , 28 and 410 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    your hull has a pressed in base if you take sharp pick it will pop out . next
    that old if you reload that base can end up in barrel. that is fine---till you shoot the next round then its not good
    use them and just for safety check the hull or barrel

Boolit Master

454bore, How close are you to Amarillo Texas??
    I will give you a BUNCH of Win AA Compression Formed hulls if you
    will but come and get them
    I am OLD and do NOT ship
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    your hull has a pressed in base if you take sharp pick it will pop out . next
    that old if you reload that base can end up in barrel. that is fine---till you shoot the next round then its not good
    use them and just for safety check the hull or barrel
    What too many things said. If the base wad is white it's plastic. If it's gray or black it's paper. If they got wet or stayed out overnight on the range, then I wouldn't trust them. If you use a collet type sizer then that high brass may not size the whole brass and may have chambering issues. Ask me how I know. I love a Grabber.

About as big a brass head shell I reload is the Federal Gold Medal. Straight body construction and run lower pressure for the same velocity as the compression formed stuff from Rem and Win.

Boolit Master
    Reloading manuals called them Winchester Polyformed as opposed to compression formed hulls like AA and some of the Upland and SuperX hulls. The low brass, high base wad Polyformed hulls could be loaded with a Win. red AA wad, but I soon standardized my reloading with AA white 12 ga. wads and compression-formed cases.

Today Remington Gun Club and game load shells are loaded in a good one-piece hull that is readily available where shotgun shooters gather. Some loading references state that the same load can be used in Remington STS and Gun Club hulls.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Back in the days of old, high brass hulls were loaded with black powder and the high brass was used to prevent the BP from burning the hull case. Accordingly any high brass hull can be reloaded for low charge shells using the correct wad column
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Reloading manuals called them Winchester Polyformed as opposed to compression formed hulls like AA and some of the Upland and SuperX hulls. The low brass, high base wad Polyformed hulls could be loaded with a Win. red AA wad, but I soon standardized my reloading with AA white 12 ga. wads and compression-formed cases.

Today Remington Gun Club and game load shells are loaded in a good one-piece hull that is readily available where shotgun shooters gather. Some loading references state that the same load can be used in Remington STS and Gun Club hulls.
    I realize what I’m about to say many will say is wrong to say . BUT I typically load AA and STS hulls the same be it 12 , 20 , 28 or 410 . Granted I’m not hot ridding any of them . I used to do the same thing thirty years ago with AA and Peters Blue Magic’s in the 12 gauge as well .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines