Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: making pistol brass

Boolit Master

making pistol brass

what can I use to make .455 WEBLEY brass out of and how do I go about doing it? any one done it b4? and what load would I use? it is for MKVI, dated 1916.any and all info. will be appreaciated.

Boolit Bub
    45 Auto Rim, turn rim to .504 diameter, thin rim to .036, trim to length. I would have to look through my reloading notes but I used the lead RP 45 Colt bullet, it is concave on the bottom and about 250-260 grains.

Boolit Grand Master
    I may be wrong, but I think Fiocchi still loads this round. If so it would be worth the time and effort to track down a box or two, since I don't imagine you are planning on shooting it all that much.

As much as I enjoy making unobtanium cases, if they are easily purchased life gets a whole lot easier.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

First question that occurred to me is whether your Webley has been modified to the 45 acp cylinder length?? A lot of them were, and it is hard at first glance to determine, my cylinders measure 1.500 original and 1.460 modified. Make sure before you start in on the brass hunt..

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    what can I use to make .455 WEBLEY brass out of and how do I go about doing it? any one done it b4? and what load would I use? it is for MKVI, dated 1916.any and all info. will be appreaciated.
    Star line makes .455 Webley Brass...

Might be a lot faster that way.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/455-webl...ases-str455web

Post us some nice images of the old Webley? Side views, general views...

Image looking down in to the rear of the Cylinder, also?

Quote Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff View Post
    First question that occurred to me is whether your Webley has been modified to the 45 acp cylinder length?? A lot of them were, and it is hard at first glance to determine, my cylinders measure 1.500 original and 1.460 modified. Make sure before you start in on the brass hunt..
    Yup!

And if 'converted' for .45 ACP and Moon Clips, then one needs to expand the .45 ACP Brass for it to accept .455 or .456 Boolits, and to have Crimp Dies to match...at least, ideally, anyway...

My Avatar is a 2nd Model Hand Ejector S & W which began life in .455, but was later converted to accept either 45 Colt or .45 ACP, so eeeesh!

My solution to this was to modify .45 Colt Brass for Full Moon Clips, this then corrected the Head Space issue... and I expanded them to accept .456 diameter Bullets...and to use .45-70 Crimp Die.

Worked out very nicely.

Boolit Master
    If your Mk VI has been modified to accept 45 acp be aware that the 45 acp round develops about twice the pressure that the 455 develops. When I first got my MK VI I shortened 45 Colt brass and thinned the rims but decided that I wanted properly marked brass and ordered them from Star Line, way less work/hassle.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    If I recall correctly (most/all?) Webley has markings on the inside cylinder which would have been lost if the cylinder had been shortened to use the ACP case. Instead of doing all the work to make Webley cases it would be a lot easier to buy some of the Starline cases. I also recall there is a sticky about being safe if one is using a shaved Webley. Since it is an old handgun manufactured over a long period of time shooting commercially produced modern ammunition rather than handloads I know are weak (appropriate?) is not something I would do especially if I had an old one.

I used a weak load of Unique and remember another here using something else. Interesting range toy. Used the Remington swaged lead cupped base made for the 45 Colt sold by Buffalo Arms. Lee dies worked fine. Also used some commercially produced Webley boolits cast too hard which were not great. Use a soft boolit is common advice which I found useful.

Was almost tempted to buy the Manstopped mold for the flat point cutting a round hole out of the paper target, but came to my senses before wasting the money and they became sold out. If someone were commercially casting the Manstopper out of lead I would buy a box just for the fun of trying it once.

Enjoy your Webley. Almost obsolete when made and still a lot of fun for someone who likes history.

Boolit Master
    no it has the full serial#. still .455 WEBLEY.

Boolit Master
    I got some from a great member that helped me out in my time of need and is going to do it again. but I am one of those guys that like to reform one brass into another if possible? that is what you do when you are 76 yrs.old and it is therapeutic! although some times frustrating.

Boolit Master
    MK42gunner, right you are,not very much with brass a scarce and as expensive as ROCKING HORSE POOP!.

Boolit Master
    PB234, thanks for your input.point well taken.