Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reapairing Garand handguard crack?

Boolit Master

Reapairing Garand handguard crack?

I have a slight crack in my Garand's rear handguard. It is about 1" long on the receiver end.

Any ideas on how to repair it, ideally without taking the handguards off? I know I could buy a replacement, but the color of the various pieces of wood match nicely now and I would prefer to keep it that way.

Thanks.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Only sound repair I have used involves taking the handguard off, thoroughly degreasing the wood, and applying a "bandage" from the inside, wetting a piece of gauze with Acraglas and carefully smoothing it inside to conform to the wood. Let that set up then the next day turn the piece over, and dribble Acraglas into the crack from the outside to fill the crack, letting it set up, if necessary repeating to fully fill the crack, then block-sand the surrounding area to bare wood, stain and oil with Fairtrimmers stock oil to match color. Done skillfully the repair is almost invisible.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

That is exactly, well almost, how I'd do it. Remove the handguard, put Accraglas gel into the crack, clamp it slightly so the excess runs out and wipe it off. If done carefully this will make the crack almost invisible. Next day apply some plastic mesh and Accraglas to the inside.

This having been said, it isn't at all difficult to remove the hand guard. Unscrew the gas plug, unscrew the gas cylinder retaining nut, tap the gas cylinder off to the front, remove the front hand guard, drive out the pin holding the rear band and remove it to the front (may require tapping) and then pull off the rear hand guard toward the front. It is retained on the barrel by the rear hand guard band in slots on the sides of the barrel and there is no need to remove it from the hand guard as a still pull to toward the front will side it out of the grooves and off of the barrel. If you will be bothered by the repaired hand guard, new ones are available. In that event you might want to reuse the rear hand guard band (clip), and there's a little hole in one of it's legs to utilize to spread it a bit and pop it over the replacement hand guard.

The crack you've described is pretty common on M1s, and full length cracking of the front hand guard is also fairly common on well-used rifles.

DG

Boolit Master
    If you are going to remove guard check clearance to receiver first. Open hand push as far forward as possible and check rear, I used to set up for .030" minimum.
    Allows for heat expansion, slight cooling and decreases the amount forced over front of receiver at bottom outboards which is when they are usually damaged during assembly.

Boolit Master
    cabe,

Is this a Mint condition Museum Grade Garand or just a shooter?

I have too many Garands and a few have small cracks in the rear handguards.

Adam

Boolit Master

What I use for small cracks is "TiteBond Instant Bond wood adhesive thin" Being water thin it wicks into hairline cracks and is formulated for wood. Its held up in my rifles and shotguns for several years now.

Boolit Master
    Shooter
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar crack in an old Remington. One can more readily buy a replacement for the M1 if needed -- not so with my Model 8 Rem -- so I tried a product similar to that used by dentists for tooth repairs. It is called BONDEC, and I ordered mine over 'Net, but I believe Wal*Mart and other retailers purvey it. [ https://www.walmart.com/ip/Laser-Bon...oaAtvAEALw_wcB ]
    The stuff is water-thin, and its really beauty to me is it stays as such "forever" -- or until you shine the UV light from enclosed lamp on it. It has held my Rem's handguard together famously.
    What worked for me...
    geo