Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want another .45 Colt

Boolit Master

I want another .45 Colt

I had a 4” Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt, it was accurate off the bench but not from my paws just standing there shooting, I just couldn’t learn to love it. It went away in a trade and I don’t miss it. But I do have an MP mold for the 270SAA, an NOE for a 350gr FP, a six cavity Lee 200gr LRN mold and a stack of Starline brass out in the shed.

I’m thinking it is time for a “Pack’n Pistol”, something you can carry in a holster and forget it’s there but something that’s fun to knock a few cans off of a fence rail with. I have a 4 5/8” SBH that I shoot pretty well so a .45 in about the same size format. I don’t shoot SASS, I don’t live where big bears gnaw on people, this is a fun gun.

Are the various Italian clones worthy? I was looking at Uberti’s in the local fun store and Taylor & Co has a “Devil Anse” model that looks interesting. Or is a Ruger NMBH or Vaquero the “Easy Button” if you just recognize that it’s going to need the throats opened up to be accurate?

Boolit Master

Id go Ruger if I was looking
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I've got an abundance of .45 Colts, but none of them are "something you can carry in a holster and forget it's there...". Just by the very size of the cartridge compact gun design is a rare thing. As for the quality of the Italian clones, I give them an A+. I've got both Uberti and Pietta models and have no complaints. Both companies make "Sheriff" models that are short, some with and some without the ejector rod housing. But, they're still a significant piece of iron and you'll know that they're there. I also have a NM Vaquero. Truthfully, it's my least favorite and doesn't shoot to point of aim, but groups o.k. I just can't think of a lightweight .45 Colt. You'd probably do better in the .44 Spec. area (like Charter Arms Bulldog) or .357 Mag., but I do understand the allure of the .45 Colt which is why I have several.

DG

Boolit Master

Rick:
    About 7 years ago, I bought a Uberti "Evil Roy"
    model SAA in 45 Colt. It is a fine revolver, in every way. Fit and finish is very good. The piece is very accurate, and feels great in the hand. Mine has the 5.5" barrel. Don't know what loads you intend to shoot, or even if you plan on reloading for it. If you're into heavy fodder, better stick with the Ruger. My go to load is 9 grains of Herco, with anything from 255 to 265 grain cast. Clocking those slugs at 900 +/- fps is very satisfying. I have in the past owned a Ruger BH in .41 magnum. Yes, they are built like a tank, but it comes at a price, (weight). So, if you're ok with standard pressure 45 Colt loads, in my opinion, you would not be handicapped in any way with the Uberti revolver. Different models, come in different barrell lengths, i.e. 3.5" or 4.75". The shorter barrel versions may be better for your packing purposes. I have no experience with the other Italian copies, so I will not comment.
    Regards
    Last edited by littlejack; 05-14-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Boolit Master

The RCBS #45-270-SAA drops a bullet that when crimped in the groove is too long to fit in My Italian clones.

Don't know about the N.O.E. bullet.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The Uberti El Patron is good right from the box.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Forgot to add that I routinely carry a full size 1911 or a 3” GP100 (using a good belt and holster) so the two Italian clones I fondled yesterday were svelte to my paws. I’m not one of those dudes rocking a Airweight J frame in his shorts pocket.

I really want the gun to work well with the 270SAA just under 1,000fps, hearing that the RCBS version doesn’t work in the Italian guns is disheartening. My Mihec mold drops beautiful boolits.
    The 350gr NOE was purchased on a whim and probably needs to go to someone with a Casull. Or maybe I need a Casull...

Thanks for the input guys,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    The Uberti El Patron is good right from the box.
    One of the guns I looked at yesterday was an El Patron. If it had been a 4 5/8” it would have probably come home with me.

Boolit Master

Just to add, I cast with the RCBS 45-255 SWC. Drops a great slug. Article by Glen Frixell, doing comparisons of different bullets in that weight range, states that, that RCBS mould drops as close to the original Keith 454424 slug as any. That's not including the propritory mould makers turning out the 454424 clones.
    Regards

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Pietta Great Western ii https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc...ornian-c68.htm and it handles RCBS 45-270saa bullet just fine, I don't think I would shoot a 350 gr. in a SAA colt or a clone. The Pietta is a mirror image of a 2nd gen Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I had a 4” Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt, it was accurate off the bench but not from my paws just standing there shooting, I just couldn’t learn to love it. It went away in a trade and I don’t miss it. But I do have an MP mold for the 270SAA, an NOE for a 350gr FP, a six cavity Lee 200gr LRN mold and a stack of Starline brass out in the shed.

I’m thinking it is time for a “Pack’n Pistol”, something you can carry in a holster and forget it’s there but something that’s fun to knock a few cans off of a fence rail with. I have a 4 5/8” SBH that I shoot pretty well so a .45 in about the same size format. I don’t shoot SASS, I don’t live where big bears gnaw on people, this is a fun gun.

Are the various Italian clones worthy? I was looking at Uberti’s in the local fun store and Taylor & Co has a “Devil Anse” model that looks interesting. Or is a Ruger NMBH or Vaquero the “Easy Button” if you just recognize that it’s going to need the throats opened up to be accurate?
    I don't want to hear your crying! I haven't gotten to shoot anything in .45 Long since I was a kid! Well, except for that funky derringer-thing. .45LC & .410 shot, and the gap between the chamber and rifling was something like 1" or more. From about card-table distance to the target, got one shot right near the edge of the target and laying on it's side. It keyholed and barely penetrated the paper target and a bit of wood backing. Nah! I know the cartridge is better than that!

Yeah, you're right. Pure jealousy. My eyes are green right now, just thinking about it. A couple of the gun shops here will rent a gun, so you might be able to find someplace there where you could try some of them. If you know people local to you who own something you're interested in, you might be able to talk them into letting you try theirs out. Really, nothing beats holding in your own hands and shooting it. Which is how I know I don't want one of those derringer-things. It is bad to find out such things AFTER you've paid for the weapon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    The RCBS #45-270-SAA drops a bullet that when crimped in the groove is too long to fit in My Italian clones.

Thats odd, that is what it was designed for was Colt saa and clones,
    Last edited by sac; 05-14-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: sc

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My favorites out of all of mine are my four Uberti El Patrons and my Cimarron Thunderstorm.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Attachment 262121Attachment 262122
    I also like .45s [.45acp/auto-rim, LC, .455/.450 Webley] My first SA’s were old s/s Rugers, and a uberti Thunderer that I won but I've recently bought a Schofield and an open top 1860 mason richards conversion. My DA .45s are N frame Smiths, New Service Colts and Webleys. If I needed a 100% reliable .45 it would be my 625 with full moon clips. This is a Thunder Ranch that I put stags on, needed to go back to smith to straiten the bbl but now it does fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post

My RCBS #45-270-SAA bullets also fit my Pietta.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Attachment 262121Attachment 262122 This is a Thunder Ranch that I put stags on, needed to go back to smith to straiten the bbl but now it does fine.
    See..that's what happens when you tighten the grip screw too tight! Seriously, that's a really nice looking 625.

Vendor Sponsor

Either a flattop new model blackhawk or a new model vaquero would work from ruger, these are current production medium frame guns and imho they are about as good of fit and finish as anything Ruger has ever made.

Throats opened up, 30oz. Wolff trigger return spring and take a tad off the hammer pad to lessen or rid the trigger of creep and they are very fine specimens of 45 Colt, good to 23,000psi which is tier 2 level, basically a 250gr boolit at just shy of 1200fps you can hunt deer, bear, or pig with that velocity, and they are fun to shoot.

That is, if you are not yearning for the color case frame and 4 clicks to full cock like a Colt or Italian clone. If you want the cowboy style colt, look into the clones, if you want durability and low cost, I'd suggest the Ruger.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I wouldn’t buy a gun without adjustable sights. The Ruger Blackhawk is what got me interested in
    45Colt. I bought one in 60s when first out. I quit Rugers when New Model came out. Now I have 3 S&W m25s and shoot them more than any of the magnums. The Ruger BH and M25 both do well with the old 250RnFp cast at factory duplication velocities. I also have a Colt New Service that shoots well with this load but someone filed front sight way before my time. Two of my 25s are tuned for 242gr WCs. they shoot better than me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Finding and buying a S&W Model 625 x 4" last summer has slaked my '45 Thirst' a bit, DANG that is a NICE REVOLVER.

But the 45 Colt is an AWESOME cartridge, and while I love my Bisley Blackhawk in that caliber, it is a bit of a chunk to haul around. Prior to snagging the BisHawk--which DID require throating, I had a Uberti Cattleman x 45 Colt x 4-3/4". GREAT revolver. I miss it something awful. It shot both #454190 and #454424 right where the sights looked at 25 yards over 8.5 grains of Unique or 9.5 grains of Herco. Velocities ran in the 825-850 FPS ballpark. A more recent (2012-made) Cattleman in 44/40 WCF has similar quality and places SAECO #446 right where the sights look also. I would purchase either the Uberti or the Ruger offerings without much hesitation--size and weight considerations come foremost, as well as load strength expectations. A 255 grain casting of .452" diameter approaching at 800-900 FPS is no slouch as a venison-maker or as a goblin-repeller. I used to deeply envy Anaheim PD's authorization of S&W Model 25-5 revolvers in 45 Colt for duty use.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Based on your original post and reason for wanting one, I'd go with the Ruger Vaquero.... That's the gun I eventually want to get... Little lighter than the Blackhawk but still the strength of a Ruger... Right now I have a NMBH in .45 and it is my most accurate revolver. Last group I shot with it had every hole touching. That was at 15 yds. At 25 yds. I almost had the same. I absolutely love that gun... Good luck with your decision. No doubt you'll be happy. It's a good day in history to buy a .45....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast