PBcastcoLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Glock 40 SW to 9mm Conversions

Glock 40 SW to 9mm Conversions

Good morning lead heads!
    My name is Tom and I am addicted to Glocks in 40cal lol.

However with the prevalence of 9mm I have always wanted to get one of those lonewolf 40-9 conversion barrels. So anyone with first hand experience with those please chime in and tell me what you think about them.

This morning I was educated on all the aftermarket 9mm barrels and slides available for Glocks. Would that be a better option with the slide and barrel already paired up. Would an aftermarket 9mm slide assembly go on a 40 cal frame? Hoping to gleam the R&D from our brain trust rather than the school of hard knocks lol.

Boolit Master
    I have a Gen 3 Glock 22. I use a LW 40SW barrel and I have the LW 9MM conversion barrel. Both Lone Wolf barrels dropped in and worked perfectly from the get go. The 40SW and 9MM barrels both shoot to the same point of aim. I use G17 mags for the 9MM but I have done limited testing and 9MM feeds fine from the G22 mags in my pistol. Always felt like I got a G17 for the price of a barrel....what's not to like.

Yup that is what I have always thought too, but it seemed too good to be true lol. Just never broke out the $$$ to do it yet.

Boolit Master
    I tried the Glock 40 SW to 9mm Conversion in a Glock 22 gen 2, with the LW 9 mm barrel and Glock 17 mags and a 9mm ejector, it worked mostly OK but I think a dedicated gun for the 9 mm works better.

Boolit Master

Have a Glock 23 2nd Gen. Bought both 40S&W & 9mm bbl's for it. Both worked Great. Shot the 9mm Conv bbl in the Glock 23 side by side with My old G17 1st Gen. Couldn't tell the difference.
    Bought a bbl for My M21 2nd Gen too.
    All the Lone Wolf bbl's in Glocks have worked just great for Me.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one in my G 22. Gen IV. Also bought the proper 9mm magazines. Took it to a four day defensive pistol course at FrontSight. Never failed in over 600 rounds. I found mine accurate as well. I scored in the top 3% of all course attendees.

I think mine was about $100 or so. Would highly recommend based on my limited experience. Just a drop in fit. A better barrel might require fitting but it is a Glock. If I want accuracy, I will shoot the Kimber.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

I have one for my G22. I think it was made by Olympic Arms. Works great. Just use 9mm magazines. No other parts needed.
    I bought it on eBay.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for all your hands on experience!!! The brain trust never disappoints!

Boolit Bub
    No one seems to be selling G21 conversion barrels for 10mm anymore. Anybody know what’s going on there? I have LW 9mm conversions for my G23 and G27 and have been very happy with both, but no joy for the G21 45acp. What gives?

Just make sure you get a "9 MM Conversion Barrel" The .40 Glock Barrel is larger in Dia. than the stock 9MM barrel. "9 MM Conversion Barrels" are the same OD as .40 S&W barrels.

The .40 Extractor works just fine as do the .40 magazines. The 9MM rim is .390 and the .40 S&W rim is .418 so the extractor has to cope with .014 more movement inwards to grasp the 9MM Rim. It can handle that easily.

Unfortunately this Caliber Conversion doesn't go the other way, as the bolt face on the 9MM Slide is not wide enough to capture a .40 S&W Rim. But a complete G17 or 34 9MM slide and barrel will go right onto a G22,35 frame with no mods whatsoever. Same with G19 to G23.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

The Lone Wolf barrels work very well. I have pistols set up for 9, 40 and 45 GAP.

Major Dude, The G21 to 10mm conversion barrels died from lack of working well. Lots of people had good luck (and I'm sure one will pop up here in a minute saying how wrong I am) but lots more had troubles. They're just not reliable, so, no more.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I have a Gen 3 Glock 23 with a 9mm Alpha Wolf barrel. (They no longer sell the less expensive Lone Wolf model). It works great and I'm even using the .40 mags. One caveat: the chamber is very tight and I have had some of my "fatter" cast bullet reloads jam up tight trying to feed. My jacketed reloads at .356 are just fine.

Boolit Master
    I have a G35 Gen4. Dropped in the LW conversion barrel & G17 mag, and, voila, I was shooting 9s.

Ejection of cheap practice ammo is a bit anemic, but it works when my son wants to shoot it & I don't have any .40s loaded.