RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you use wads for 44-40 or 45 colt?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never!!

47 66.20%
  • Always!!

14 19.72%
  • Maybe if I was storing for a while

1 1.41%
  • Only if I am reducing load

9 12.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wads for 44-40 or 45 colt?

In the few blackpowder loads I use in an original Rem. 44-40 1875 revolver, I run them as full power. Same with 45 colt and balloon cases.

Boolit Bub
    Just don't try dealing off the bottom of deck when using the playing card stock, you may not get your desired results.

Boolit Mold
    I've been running 25gr of 2f Pyrodex or Goex (until they shut down) followed by a veg / paper disk, then Ox yoke wad, pushing a 250gr LRN.

Using an Uberti Schofield and a Taylors '58 Rem 5in with Howell conversion cylinder. The Uberti leaks like a sieve. The BP would gunk it up very fast. So it eats Pyrodex now. The Remington is tight. Recoil manageable and smacks the snot out of the steel.

Cleans up fast with Windex and Ballistol.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    Do you run a wad in your 44-40 or 45 colt black powder loads? Only if you want to reduce load? What if you are storing them a while and are worried about contaminating BP with lube?
    No wad or filler in either cartridge or any other handgun cartridge.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    If I was worried about keeping the powder near the flash hole, I'd try using clothes dryer lint. Wads and cards are substantial enough that they can act like "secondary projectiles" and ring a barrel.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I use a 1/8" thick wad over a paper punch under a well greased thick grooved bullet meant for BP. 25gr of 3f is all I need for 10-15 yard backyard target practice in my 45 colt. When I up the charge to 30gr, I only use the paper to prevent contamination.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    never, none at all.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't load 44-40 but in my 38s and 45 Colt or Schofield BP cartridges I don't use anything - need had an issue to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    If I was worried about keeping the powder near the flash hole, I'd try using clothes dryer lint. Wads and cards are substantial enough that they can act like "secondary projectiles" and ring a barrel.
    From what I read about ring formation, it happens when air compresses. You shouldn't leave any gap between the filler or wad and the base of the bullet. And the filler should be compressed.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Shotgun Buffer from Ballistic Products in 44-40 No contamination of powder.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    Do you run a wad in your 44-40 or 45 colt black powder loads? Only if you want to reduce load? What if you are storing them a while and are worried about contaminating BP with lube?
    I do NOT use a wad in .44 handgun loading. But, for my rifle loading in this calibre I use both a paper punched from a business card and a thin extruded lub ribbon -- tools for both, pictured, from Buffalo Arms.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LUBERIBBON.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	294385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wad punch.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	294386
    geo

Depends on the bullet. If loading a Lee 255 RNPP, I find it doesn’t carry enough lube to suit me. I place the wad I use for my cap and ball revolvers, a Gato Feo saturated wool wad between the bullet and a waxed milk carton wad. With the RCBS 270 grainer, it doesn’t hold quite enough lube but more than the Lee bullet and I load it without a cardboard or or wool wad.

Boolit Master
    never!. not needed!

Quote Originally Posted by NMBill View Post
    I use .030" veg. wads in the 44-40. They eliminated my flyers resulting from gas-cutting.

Billy
    Using a "caseload" of Reloder 7 with a deeper seating 220gr bullet for my 44-40......the full caseload of slower burning powder acts as a gas check and prevents, if any, gas-cutting.

Any wads or fillers will increase chamber pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    I've used cornmeal as a filler in .44 Henry-equivalent loads for the .44 WCF, but it's tedious.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44WCF Filler Wad 1A.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	294411

I have been using this "shotgun wad" for a few years. They are labeled as .125" but for me they measure at .140" thick. It is a tight fit in the case and takes up about 9 grains of Swiss 2F space. I just insert it in the case mouth and compress the reduced charge of powder with the paper wad. This way the top off the reduced load is at the same height as the top of a full load. The process adds maybe 3 seconds to each reload. I used to use Cream of Wheat, never again.

Interestingly, for 36.5gr of Swiss 2f and my cast 220gr bullet I use no card of any type. Accurate out to 200 meters, I don't see the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Using a "caseload" of Reloder 7 with a deeper seating 220gr bullet for my 44-40.......
    This is Big Medicine for 1/2 scale and full size metallic silhouette animals!! I don't use it on the 40 meter chickens anymore. The target setters were taking up too much time "finding them " after being hit.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    In the few blackpowder loads I use in an original Rem. 44-40 1875 revolver, I run them as full power. Same with 45 colt and balloon cases.
    Good for you!

Same here...

"Perfect"..!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmagnum View Post
    this is big medicine for 1/2 scale and full size metallic silhouette animals!! I don't use it on the 40 meter chickens anymore. The target setters were taking up too much time "finding them " after being hit.
    lol!!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Using a "caseload" of Reloder 7 with a deeper seating 220gr bullet for my 44-40......the full caseload of slower burning powder acts as a gas check and prevents, if any, gas-cutting.

Any wads or fillers will increase chamber pressures.
    Hercules tested RL7 with a 240-grain bullet. Accurate 43-240F is my design for a heavy bullet in .44-40.

Larry Gibson has some for pressure testing to compare with Winchester .430" diameter, 240- grain JHP for which he has already established 20kpsi loads for Winchester 92, Marlin 1894, Italian Colt clones, post-1920 heat treated New Service and modern Colt Gen3 Single Actions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231103_155010~2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	319789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43-240F-D.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	319790

Test data from 8.4" Contender pistol with Oehler 43PBL interface. Starline .44 Mag. cases with Winchester primers, OAL 1.598" - Winchester .430" diameter 240 JHP:

7 grains Bullseye 935 fps @ 18,900 psi
    7.5 grains Bullseye 992 fps @ 20,700 psi
    18 grains IMR4227 1028 fps @ 19,200 psi
    19 grains IMR4227 1089 fps @ 20,300 psi
    24 grains IMR4198 1137 fps @ 19,700 psi.

Expected velocity for a 7-1/2" revolver -50 fps from above.
    Expected velocity for a 5-1/2" revolver -100 fps from above.
    Expected velocity for a 20" carbine + 100 fps from above.

Until Larry completes additional testing we cannot confirm whether it is safe to substitute a softer cast lead bullet for the jacketed bullet in these loads. The above data are provided for reference only.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-10-2023 at 03:54 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    wads punched from old playing cards work well.
    ditto....
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast