RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mosquitoes?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I wonder if you could make a drone to apply these products in swamps?

Moderator Emeritus

Study I read said not much of an effect. Deet and oil of lemon eucalyptus seemed the best solution - no pun intended.

Boolit Master

If everyone would commit to killing mosquitos (insect-ICIDE), instead of merely driving them away (repel), there would, for a time, be significantly less mosquitos. No way to kill them all - like ants - there are too many of them and they're widely dispersed.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

They aren’t that bad where I live. Can control them pretty easily w/ a Thermacell. They’re horrible at our place in the Poconos. They’re horrible during the day but are bearable. They are unbearable at night. The only thing that ever worked was PUNKS. But they stopped making them many years ago and I don’t know what was in them. But burning them kept them far far away. At some times it’s not even worth going outside at night unless you absolutely have to. About the only thing I hate more is ticks.

Boolit Buddy
    Citronella in punks, patio lanterns (or kerosene lanterns), candles etc. have some effect. Or if you sit outside on a windy day or with a fan on to make a breeze: mosquitoes will be less bold. I recall vividly the bushes buzzing with them as I approached alpine lakes on windy day. They could fly around in the bushes but not in the open wind. Note: rain does not bother them if they are hungry!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

When I was a kid we had two milk cows. We put the feed in the trough and the cows put their heads in the stanchion. We locked it then reached for the fly sprayer (flit gun) and sprayed straight DDT at the base of their horns and on their shoulders. We may have done as much good by diluting it way down. It was also used on the dogs and chickens. Chickens had so many fleas on their red combs they looked brown. At the time we had a tablet that was Cream of Tarter/Sulpher. You would eat one to keep away the whatevers. That was in the early 1940s. Hmmmm, wonder if they have tried DDT on Covid 19?

Boolit Master
    when we moved to our present location, I casually enquired about the bug situation. I was told in a matter of factly way by a old bait trapper his swamp secrets. 3 days before you go out, 3 times a day, tablespoonful of fresh garlic minced, cloves, however you want. shower water only no soaps, no dark clothes,(white preferred) do not overexert yourself,(you emit carbon dioxide). Water to drink before &during your outing. Wear a broad brimmed hat (black flies don't seem to like to fly under them and neither do those other big blood lappers). I have tried his tips and they work pretty good, next week I'm going to go outside the house and see if I can find my English mastiff she was hiding under my truck from a pair of black fly adolesents last I saw of her. On the lighter side more factual these things do seem to work for me, I also bait harvest at night, so wearing bug dope is a bad idea as it at some point it will cross contaminate and ruin your whole nights work by killing the bait.

Boolit Master
    DDT appeared on the scene when I was very young. My Dad farmed with horses in mid-southern Manitoba. He thought DDT was the be-all end-all to deal with the mosquitoes on our live stock. He used to mix the powder with water in a bucket and apply the solution to the horses with a rag (bare handed). Dad had a matched team of work horses he raised from colts, a mare and a gelding. After awhile, the mare got sick and she died. Dad got the Vet to find out why and the verdict was DDT. I guess the mare was thinner skinned than the gelding, I don't know but anyhow---- I am just thankful that it did not kill Dad also!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    before my mother passed away she had a large mountain ash in front of the house and the leaf minors would strip it of foliage. She had found an article in one of the earth magazines about a solution of Lysol and murphys oil soap that would stop this, so she made some up and proceded to apply it to the tree within in 5 days no more leaf minors also no leafs either totally denuded the tree and killed it. I teased her afterwards that the stuff worked by starving the bugs to death she never tried home chemistry again. Just a little funny about dealing with bugs.

Boolit Grand Master

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that we have a fan over the back door. I think its called an air curtain. I blows straight down in front of the door and keeps the bugs from coming in. I have to fire the air compressor up and blow the dust, dead bugs and con webs out of it a couple of times during the summer.

I also have one of those hand held foggers that blows a chemical spray over a hot surface that I use a few times a week. I'll walk around the house and spray under the bushes and flowers. And a $20 dollar bill discreetly slipped to the fogger truck driver will get him to drive down the edge of the field in my back yard!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234