Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes?

Boolit Grand Master

When it was discovered that mosquitoes can and do carry and spread many diseases such as Malaria , Yellow Fever , West Nile Virus , Keystone Virus , Zika , Rift Valley and 3-4 other fevers and spread several different forms of Encephalitis , Louisiana has embarked on a large program to get rid of mosquitoes . Spraying with trucks driving on streets , spraying areas with airplanes , elimination of stagnant and standing water wherever it can be found .

It has made a difference ...there are less mosquitoes and less mosquito borne illnesses around .
    Mosquitoes now seem to be more of a problem up North .
    I can go outside at dusk and not be eaten alive like in the old days .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    When it was discovered that mosquitoes can and do carry and spread many diseases

, Louisiana has embarked on a large program to get rid of mosquitoes . y
    Back during the Reagan years, and AIDS was all over the news, a certain group of people in New Orleans claimed it was
    carried and spread by mosquitos----- not their behavior.

When asked about it, the then governor of Louisiana said he wasn't sure about that, but made the comment,
    "They seem to be very particular about who they bite".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Grandad was somehow immune to a mosquito (deer fly , ect). They would land on him and leave right away without biting him. They found ME a buffet just waiting to be sampled

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard that eating a lot of garlic keeps them away, anyone have experience with that?

Boolit Master
    100% DEET or rancid bear grease is need to properly keep mosquitoes at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    I've heard that eating a lot of garlic keeps them away, anyone have experience with that?
    I've always heard it works for mosquitos and also those country flies that land on ya and chew a piece off.

I was out fishing with a buddy and he'd always eat a bunch of garlic before he went out.
    We were out, and the flies were tearing me apart. I asked him if he was also under siege by them.
    He said, "No,,,,,,,,,,,,, apparently you smell more like dog **** than I do".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I live in corn country in Illinois. We have clouds of skeeters, hate the damn things! When I was a kid and lived in a small town, they would drive around the fogger truck and it really took care of them! I love to fish, but almost never do because they are so bad in the evening.

Boolit Master
    When my family first moved to Florida in`16(That`s 1916)my Dad used to say if you went out after dark,you better take a 12ga to be on even terms with the skeeters.He also said that Granddad tried to keep one for a pet,but it kept chewing through the chain.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93862682_10222639436035093_497318042775060480_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	262138
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Yes Montana ! The worst mosquito infestation I have ever seen, so bad along the Gallatin river you had to use your wipers, what a mess. Another time near the Crazies on a sage flat about this time of the year thick clouds of mosies would come up in your face walking through the grass.
    Now Nevada has the biggest mosquitos I have seen and they have fur !. SC is the only place I have been bitten by a mosquito in January.

Ticks, skeeters, and deer flys have never liked me. I get bit but not like the rest of the family. I don't get bumps from the bites or itch. I don't eat garlic either. I use Deet now just because we have west nile around in the summer and I have watched a couple of friends suffer thru that. No thanks!

Boolit Master
    I lived in AK for 32 years the first six were in Nome. The skeeters are so thick on the tundra there you can see a cloud of them coming for you a half mile away. 100% Deet is the only thing that will keep them from landing on you and that is barely off. You have to breath slow to keep from sucking them in your mouth and nose and that doesn't always work. I now live in northeastern MT and we have skeeters here but nothing like AK.

Boolit Master
    We got those Tiger mosquitos down east. One landed on the air strip at Cherry Point Marine Air base and the marines started to refuel it until they couldn't find the fuel connection. Those things take no prisoners. If you get bite while on the firing line at Buccaneer your not sure you've been shot or what.

We are almost overwhelmed with them in minnesota. There are so many cat tail swamps everywhere it just takes visitors breath away starting just before sundown.

My daughter and I were watching bats zipping around and I asked her what she thought they did at night. It couldn't take more a couple beats of the wings and let their beaks hang open they'd have to be full in a couple seconds. After that what do they do?

She thought maybe they had bat rodeos and drag races. I agreed it'd be really fun bulldogging mosquitos.

I told her if she went camping up north she'd need a ball of Orange twine in her pocket. That way if a gang of them got her she could spool out the rope so the authorities could find her. Usually, people's blood.got depleted enough that the pressure got so low they'd realize they were sucking on a dry hole and give up. Problem was the low pressure made people stupified. That's why everyone carried plasma in the glove box for just in case. So, the insatiable lust for mosquitoes made the bat the state bird.

Some of those grey looking zombies in zombie movies aren't zombies. They are really stupified, mosquito-eaten pilgrims from Iowa that were caught outside and overwhelmed. They are just transparent from blood loss. I've always wondered if some of those zombie movies were bootleg type deals because a bloodless delirious person can't possibly be considered rational enough to sign a release for a zombie movie. I wonder if the "producers" got in trouble like the girls-gone-bad movie maker talking the naked girls in florida into acting sober and being interviewed.

Boolit Master
    My uncle lived in ME,if you went out at night during the summer you were fair game for the skeeters,but he bought a Mosquito Magnet and after a couple of weeks of running it you could sit outside and enjoy the stars.
    Don't know if they still make the MM but it worked miracles for my uncle.

What's really fun is trying to slap a drunk visiting cousin from iowa awake and and tell him the sandhill crane standing by the mailbox is a minnesota mosquito. I did that to my cousin Cletus from Dabuke, then handed him and old flip phone and yelled at him to call captain kirk. He did and then disapeared. He called from home the next day wondering about the mosquito. I just said we go in the house at dark. Also, minnesota is where the tractor cab was invented because of mosquitos

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Oklahoma had them big ugly hummingbird ones when we went through there. Thick too! You could almost hear the sucking noises like using a straw. But the worst I experienced where in Okinawa. They didn’t look all that, but when ya got bit they left welts on ya like boils! Itched worst than anything I’ve ever had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    When my family first moved to Florida in`16(That`s 1916)my Dad used to say if you went out after dark,you better take a 12ga to be on even terms with the skeeters.He also said that Granddad tried to keep one for a pet,but it kept chewing through the chain.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    I was working on an irrigation well one night before dark. I heard a few of them buzzing around my head and 2 of them were talking. One of them wanted to carry me back to the swamp to eat me. The other one cautioned him that if they did the big ones might take me away from them!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    They are pretty bad here in my part of Arkansas. You plan your Summer activities to be in before dusky dark. They are not out yet but are due about anytime. If you walk through tall grass they will fog all over you. Around rice fields is especially bad. The Buffalo Knats are bad to. Their bit hurts and leaves a pretty good whelp. They also kill a lot of Deer here in the Delta.
    Anywhere in the Mississippi Delta and especially where there's rice, there's mosquitoes. Up in the hills they are are rather weak variety, but in the Delta they are tough! I think they keep the red wasp population down though.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast