WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes?

If you want something to repel them and actually works use Detol, it is an antiseptic made in the UK to sterilize hospitals.

Detol is sold on the internet, just do a search.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    We got plenty of skeeters here in the swamp. Plenty. And they'll fly right through you spraying 40% OFF on yourself to bite you while your arm is still wet. Fortunately, Thermocell does work. I carry one in an empty SA holster when I'm outside, and it is the best invention ever.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Fortunately, Thermocell does work...and it is the best invention ever.
    The active ingredient in Thermocell…
    ...is allethrin...a synthetic copy of one of the compounds found within chrysanthemum flowers, and proven to repel mosquitoes.
    Another chrysanthemum flower synthetic derivative. That one a repellant.

Why not "Go the Distance" and KILL mosquitos with PERMETHRIN (a synthetic chrysanthemum flower derivative)? You will SAVE money in the long run if you just KILL THEM rather than temporarily drive them away.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Does anyone remember FLIT ?
    What about a FLIT GUN ?

Wish I still had my Dad's !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post

Why not "Go the Distance" and KILL mosquitos with PERMETHRIN (a synthetic chrysanthemum flower derivative)? You will SAVE money in the long run if you just KILL THEM rather than temporarily drive them away.

That's where I am, I want the savage buggers as dead as I can make them, that way they don't come back.

Boolit Master

I have thought about getting a propane powered trap for the critters. I may just pull the trigger on it with rainy season approaching. The one I'm looking at says it's good for 3 acres. My county has a mosquito control division with more planes and helicopters than some third world air forces. Still flying DC3s and UH1s. Pretty cool when one of the DC3s go over at anywhere from 2 to 5 hundred feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I have thought about getting a propane powered trap for the critters. .
    I hope you have better luck with one than I did.

I got one, followed all the instructions, did every trick, and used every potion they said to do with it.
    At the end of the summer, it had 4-5 (suicidal) mosquitos and a couple of moths in the catch pan/screen.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Aransas Pass along Texas coastline. 1969. Three varieties of mosquitos. A friend and I left his car to bowhunt just after daylidght. I headed down a cindera for about 18 minutes before heading back to the car. Mosquitos in the eyes ears and anywhere they found skin. Put a puddle of repellent on the back of my hand and before I could spread it out mosquitos were biting through the puddle. Found my friend not far from the car just standing there. He could not see. Eyes swollen shut. I led him to the car and we left. I was driving his little French car that he never drove more than 50 mph. My quiver strap tow inches wide across the abdomen was unscathed. I looked again in a few minutes and the swelling covered that area too. Felt as if the skin was on fire. About a hundred miles back toward Fort Worth, the friend began to be able to see again.
    Along I-10 through Louisiana, on the way to Mobile, in 1963 we stopped along the way to take a break at a Snake Farm on the roadside. We went in and they had hanging light bulbs that were insufficient lighting. We could hear the mosquitos , we could not see the floor from the knees down because of the mosquitos. We did not stay long.
    After the Aransas Pass hunt we moved to New Mexico. The mosquitos were small and the bites didn't bother me as much as others. I figured after the hunt in Texas, I was immune to those little mosquitos in NM.
    Lake Conroe is one place you need mosquito protection if you are on the lake at sundown.
    Laguna Atascosa Refuge has it all,. no seeums, mosquitos, seed ticks, deer ticks, alligators, snakes and chiggers. Bowhunters learn to douse their hunting clothes with Permethrin 38.5% SFR diluted one ounce per gallon of water and allowed to dry completely before wearing. Then you only have to worry about the snakes and alligators. Going to our stands one morning before daylight , the guy in the lead whispered back to the guy behind and queried about a log across the trail. The guy answered saying it was no log, that is an alligator. Another evening we were leaving the refuge to find a huge rattlesnake alongside the road. We watched at a safe distance and agreed that it was at the least eight foot long. It moved into some grass about 15 inches tall and disappeared. We had been walking in grass like that all day.

Boolit Master
    RE:Mosquito spraying.Growing up in Vero Beach FL I saw everything from Stearman biplanes to B24`s going after them.Four of the B24`s going over at 0600 will sure get your attention.Especially when they are only about 150` altitude about 200 feet apart wingtip to wingtip.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    RE:Mosquito spraying.Growing up in Vero Beach FL I saw everything from Stearman biplanes to B24`s going after them.Four of the B24`s going over at 0600 will sure get your attention.Especially when they are only about 150` altitude about 200 feet apart wingtip to wingtip.
    Leo
    Remember the trucks that would spray for them? Can't count how many times us kids would be riding our bikes in that fog thinking it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Remember the trucks that would spray for them? Can't count how many times us kids would be riding our bikes in that fog thinking it was fun.
    We did too.
    Now days, the city tells ya to go inside until it passes.
    When a bunch of kids try to get close to the truck- the driver shuts off the fogger until he gets away from them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Hi Mr Wolf.Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah.We could also go to the local "Mosquito Control District"office and get for free the same stuff that the trucks sprayed with to use ourselves.We just rigged a small copper line into the exhaust pipe of our lawn mowers hooked to a one quart can hung from the handle bar for the mower to drip the liquid into the pipe when hot.We used a small ball valve to regulate the flow.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post

How would I apply that, and can it be dispensed from something I can wear around on my belt like my thermacell? I can’t just spray this 650 acre swamp with it. But I’m up for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Does anyone remember FLIT ?
    What about a FLIT GUN ?

Wish I still had my Dad's !
    Gary
    Flit and Black Flag was DDT worked great my father always used it aound the camp yard.

Boolit Buddy

I have been using Mosquito Spartan the last 3 years and I am convinced that it is an effective part of a control plan. I also fog a couple times a month and keep standing water from accumulating when possible.

Don Dubuc, a local outdoor show host, turned me onto a spray from Victorious Secret that is effective for marsh mosquito and the no see ems. For me it’s more effective than the Avon Skin So Soft. I was questioned about my credit card purchase at VS by my wife. It didn’t stop her from bugging me.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    I was sitting in the Crossroads Church, Bible opened to 1Kings 1. Mosquito landed on it and I slammed it shut. Bug flattened out big as a dime. Still there, stuck good. Alaska State bird.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    Don Dubuc, a local outdoor show host, turned me onto a spray from Victorious Secret that is effective for marsh mosquito and the no see ems. For me it’s more effective than the Avon Skin So Soft.
    Share?

Boolit Buddy

Pretty sure it’s called bombshell. I asked the clerk. She smiled...I got real nervous...then said we’re selling more of this to men than we did to ladies.

The regular bottle is over $50, but I found a smaller “purse size” for $18ish that’s done well. A little dab goes a long way and you don’t mind this getting near your eyes like deet products.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    How would I apply that, and can it be dispensed from something I can wear around on my belt like my thermacell? I can’t just spray this 650 acre swamp with it. But I’m up for ideas.
    I found a product, HiYield 38, that is 38% permethrin. Apply from a 25 gallon (or any size) sprayer. Dilute the concentrate to 0.50% (same as the Army in their deep jungle clothes). Cattlemen in Florida used it extensively in the 1950's to eradicate deer ticks and screw worms.

I spray 0.50% concentrate on my hunting clothes mainly. Hat, skeeter net face mask, shirt, pants, jacket, etc. Let it dry. It is still effective on clothes even after multiple washings. Insects alight and die.

You may get bit a few time on the first day wearing permethrin laced clothes in the field. That will quickly pass. The 2nd day will be nearly all clear. Problem solved for a while.

First read about Permethrin in the Smithsonian magazine in the early '90's. Facts: https://www.fdacs.gov/content/downlo...5203-20-13.pdf
    Last edited by Land Owner; 05-17-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    Pretty sure it’s called bombshell. I asked the clerk. She smiled...I got real nervous...then said we’re selling more of this to men than we did to ladies.

The regular bottle is over $50, but I found a smaller “purse size” for $18ish that’s done well. A little dab goes a long way and you don’t mind this getting near your eyes like deet products.
    Googled it and looks like it actually has been proven by scientists to repel mosquitoes. They have a sale on it; two bottles for $30.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast