Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: I've gone back to the Church of the Holy Black with a Traditions Tennessee Rifle

Boolit Master

I've gone back to the Church of the Holy Black with a Traditions Tennessee Rifle

I wasn't planning on getting another muzzleloader, but I went into my local gun shop last month and they had a Traditions Tennessee .50 caliber, and being a flintlock, something you don't see on the shelves up here pretty much ever. The gun had never been fired, the previous owner apparently snapped the flint a couple of times, that was about it. It's clean as a whistle and the shop owner wasn't even happy another employee took it in because they knew it would be a hard sell here, since most people hunt with inlines.

I ended up getting the gun for about half what they went for knew, so I couldn't pass it up. I had to find black powder though, no one up here sells it and even ordering it was tricky finding someone who didn't want a large minimum of how many pounds. I just wanted one pound, plenty for me so I got some FFFG Goex and I used that for the main and priming charge. Ignition was flawless for all four rounds I fired, these at 30 yards.
    I was using 60 grains and a .490" roundball with a .010" patch.

The rifle shot a little high, it weighs practically nothing, about 6 pounds and with it's 24-inch barrel is very handy. It shoots a bit high, the sights are pretty basic on this gun, you can't change elevation, but if I aim just below the bullseye, that plugged it dead center. The fourth shot, where it was just starting to get sticky, was to the left of the bullseye. I was considering retiring one of my muzzleloaders that needs an overhaul, but I like this gun so much, it's going to replace it. It will be the first year, or ever that I have hunted with a flintlock and I haven't messed with one in more than 20 years, but this thing is a ton of fun and where I live in the brush, I can't imagine needing a shot more than 100 yards and the .50 roundball should do everything I need it to.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Banned

Very nice!

My dad has a “Hawkin” (?) that is similar. But it does seem much longer. Sometimes the older things are more fun!
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Nice catch ! !

I've snagged several sidelock guns form local funshops around here too, for chump change - the local GS customers all seem to want the latest plastic/fantastic inlines.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I really like that. Every time i try to buy a flintlock it gets bid up/or goes for more than i can afford. Glad you found one reasonable. Todd/3leg

The prodigal returneth. Congrats.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Welcome back to the holy Black lots of us stray but a few find there way home to the real deal. Btw you might want to try loading your first cold/ clean barrel shot just a bit heavier than the rest. My 50 loves 75grn.first shot and 70 grn.For the rest with a patched round ball load.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Amen brotha!