WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Packs of Dogs

Texas I had one old timer in my area that was having problems with dogs attacking his sheep in the pasture behind his house. That old timer used a National Match M-1 Garand to kill about 4 dogs in a years time. Turned out he used to be in the Navy and was a member of their shooting team and when he retired he was allowed to keep his NM Garand that he used on the shooting team.
    I tried to talk him into selling that rifle to me, but he had promised his son the rifle when he passes away. The son has the rifle now and I miss talking to that old timer and hearing his stories.

Banned

Seems like everybody who has stock around here has at least one donkey in with them. Neighbor down the road has two. The cattle seem to stay away from them, for some reason, but a donkey is apparently way better at keeping coyotes away than any dog.

I live in the country, too. Came home from town to find 2 dogs inside my chicken coop with all my chickens killed. The chicken coop was built like Ft. Knox, but the dogs still managed to bust through a 1-ft by 1-ft heavy-duty double-wire-mesh window. Unfortunately for the dogs, they were too stupid leave the scene of the crime and exit from whence they came.
    A few shots from my truck gun (7.62x25 CZ-52) and the situation was resolved.
    My wife then got a little nervous and said, " What if they were some of our neighbors' dogs? What will we tell them?"
    My response was that if my chickens ever got loose and went to my neighbors' house and killed THEIR dogs, I would give them permission to kill my chickens.
    I don't hate dogs, but once they get the taste of chicken blood, they'll always come back for more.
    Last edited by Terminatorret; 05-17-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Terminatorret View Post
    I live in the country, too. Came home from town to find 2 dogs inside my chicken coop with all my chickens killed. The chicken coop was built like Ft. Knox, but the dogs still managed to bust through a 1-ft by 1-ft heavy-duty double-wire-mesh window. Unfortunately for the dogs, they were too stupid leave the scene of the crime and exit from whence they came.
    A few shots from my truck gun (7.62x25 CZ-52) and the situation was resolved.
    My wife then got a little nervous and said, " What if they were some of our neighbors' dogs? What will we tell them?"
    My response was that if my chickens ever got loose and went to my neighbors' house and killed THEIR dogs, I would give them permission to kill my chickens.
    I don't hate dogs, but once they get the taste of chicken blood, they'll always come back for more.
    Well, yes and no. We had a dog that killed a couple of chickens. Dad grabbed a dead chicken, beat the dog with it like a war drum, and tie-wired it around his neck. After 3 days, they dead chicken smelled so bad the dog never went near a chicken again. Personally, I think just tying the chicken would have done the job, that hand harsh toned scolding. I have never had a dog that wouldn't do anything for a praising tone, or tucked their tail for a harsh tone.

The neighbor's dog (farm area, hundreds of yards away) ended up on the wrong end of a 41 mag. It wasn't the first time, more like tenth. Neighbor was a foster parent of special needs kids who did not always latch the gate when they let the dog out to play with. Come sundown . . . you know the story.

Neighbor was always apologetic, ended up purchasing 3 dozen chicks to replace the chickens. Too bad half were Banty chicks, very prolific but it took 6 - 9 eggs per breakfast. Plus side is they were great brooders. We just put Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn eggs under the Banty hens. Down side was they also hid and bred up more Banty chicks. Solution, dad put an ad in the paper for 'free chickens.' Asian refugees to the rescue. After that, he had their phone number.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Shot prairie dogs on a ranch when I was in college. He gave us permission to shoot in the pasture with the cows on the condition that we shoot any canine we saw. I asked him how I could identify his dogs while out and about so we didn't shoot a pet. He replied "Don't matter. Shoot them too. They know they aren't supposed to be in the cattle."

He used a motorcycle and trucks for roundup....
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Buddy
    This is basically what the AR platform in 223 was designed for. Multiple shots at reasonable range, good accuracy, a round that will kill but is easy to manage, plenty of cheap ammo- sounds like a winner to me. With a little practice open sights will get you on target at those ranges with quick follow ups and not too much blast or kick to throw you off. They've come down in price to where they are more than reasonable, find some cheap ammo it likes and buy a few hundred rounds, load a few 30 round mags and toss it all in the trk! If you're worried about one crawling off shoot it again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Seems like everybody who has stock around here has at least one donkey in with them. Neighbor down the road has two. The cattle seem to stay away from them, for some reason, but a donkey is apparently way better at keeping coyotes away than any dog.
    Coyotes often run in packs. A single dog doesn't have much chance against even two or three coyotes. I bet donkeys do better against predators in groups, too.

My neighbor, a dear sweet seventy something lady, a problem with dogs and the livestock around her place when I lived in Washington State. She put an old mattress in the bucket of the tractor, parked it by her pens, raised it up and climbed up in the bucket. Took a nap until barking dogs and whatnot woke her up. Sat up in that bucket with a M1Carbine and ran through the magazine- I understand the carnage was impressive.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

My dear wife (who owns the property her daddy left her) went out and bought me a Mini-Thirty and a 1000 rounds of wolf ammo for our 35th wedding anniversary. It has a 3X9 weaver scope on it and tomorrow I am going to take it to the range.

ACC

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    She’s a keeper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    My neighbor, a dear sweet seventy something lady, a problem with dogs and the livestock around her place when I lived in Washington State. She put an old mattress in the bucket of the tractor, parked it by her pens, raised it up and climbed up in the bucket. Took a nap until barking dogs and whatnot woke her up. Sat up in that bucket with a M1Carbine and ran through the magazine- I understand the carnage was impressive.
    That's awesome!

Boolit Master

Heavy Shot makes a 12 ga shell "Dead Coyote" that they claim will reach out and swat'em 75+ yds. Shells cost about $4 each tho.

Boolit Master
    Do you know where your dogs are tonight?

“..... a ..... a ....... a ........”

........ Well do ya’?

I have had that conversation with a dog owner back when the long running PSA ran about whether you knew where your children were.

The owner finally told me they were “around” .....

I retorted .... around? ..... Around where?

“Well around my place” he answers

Wrong answer! They weren’t.

They were chasing deer on my place 1.5 miles away! This was a problem that surfaced nine months earlier when the same dogs chased 150 of my yearlings through multiple fences and so far wide spread it took an airplane to help find them all.

Another time, different owner, different dogs and a mother cow of ours protecting her calf lost the entire front of her face, bone and all to Pit Bulls!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-31-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Heavy Shot makes a 12 ga shell "Dead Coyote" that they claim will reach out and swat'em 75+ yds. Shells cost about $4 each tho.
    10 ga. 3 1/2” chamber double barrel SXS 32” full choke, #4 buck, 54 pellets 24 caliber lead rolls broadside Rottweilers at that range.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I thought that Rotties were the pinnacle of huge mutts.

I learned different.

I experienced Mastiffs.

I went to .25-06 mode with 100 gr. Ballistic Tips

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I grew up in southern Ohio and had a plant that killed livestock for the local stores and dumped the intestines in a deep ravine where the wild things would eat them. Ended up with a big pack of dogs, wild, domestic and dropped. This was in the 1950's. Livestock started being hurt or killed so several farmers published in the paper that any dog seen running outside of the yard was going to be shot. That said week, several 100 large dogs were shot as it was also tree rat session so a lot of hunters were in the woods. The big ring leader was a husky (that wouldn't hurt a flea) and a collie, both seen several times before they meant a .30-06. Both were kids pets accordingly to the houses where they lived during most days.

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    With a modified choke, 50 yards is no problem
    +1 for the modified choke. I hunted in a club here in Alabama that used shotguns only and my 870 Express with a modified choke shot 000 buck better than any other choke tube by a LOT. It wouldn't be my first choice for wild dogs because they are pretty wiley and once they realize you are about to light them up, they get going, as in out of range of a scattergun. Mini 14 gets my vote, just use factory mags for the best reliability.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    My dear wife (who owns the property her daddy left her) went out and bought me a Mini-Thirty and a 1000 rounds of wolf ammo for our 35th wedding anniversary. It has a 3X9 weaver scope on it and tomorrow I am going to take it to the range.

ACC
    Lucky you! The accuracy of the newer Mini's is better than the older ones. My gunsmith says that if you put a .040 or .045 gas port in them to reduce the violent ejection of brass, that they are more accurate. Keep us posted on how you like the gun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    had a gsd that wanted to chase sheep.had a word with the sheperd .put dog in small space with an old ewe ,every time the dog tried to molest the ewe she butted him in the ribs .after that afternoon he never went near sheep.

Many years ago my dad had a small beef farm and the new neighbor got a German Shepard. After many trip take the dog home and telling them the dog is chasing cows. The lady thought it was cute to watch from the window! The last time I returned the day with baling twine lead. No one was home so I tied him front door. As I was leaving the husband came home and started yelling about tying up his dog. I let him yell for a few minutes and then told him” Your dog runs the cows one more time and I will take the legal way I haven’t used yet!” One walked the 1000’ home and when thru the front door and could see out the sliding door in the back. Out in the field was yep the dog grabs the first gun in the gun closet. My 270win by the time I got it loaded and the slider open the dog was about ten feet in front of the 200yd bullet trap. Boom down it went! Grabbed a baling twine loop and dragged the dog way out back and into the middle of a small swamp. Two day later the neighbor,wife and kid knock on the front door. Have you seen our dog? The last time I saw him he was tied to you front door but will call if I see him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast