Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Packs of Dogs

I shoot wild dogs on my property with a Martini 25/35. They take off so quickly that you don't get a second shot!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I was under the impression that semi-autos were outlawed in in Australia. I could be wrong, have been before, long, long time ago.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

The Op is in Texas, not Australia. Russian bi-metal and cast bullets are too Ricochet prone to use around cattle. I have always used a 22-250 which works perfectly but so will a semi-auto .223 with expanding bullets.
    S,S,&S and no pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Why would you be working the bolt on a Ruger Ranch Rifle

Now a Ruger American Ranch Rifle is a bolt gun

Get an AR in 223 for dog control
    Sorry my thinker ain't workin' I meant American.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Not sure what ranges you're talking about, but I'd generally have to agree that a pump or autoloading shotgun would be the best choice if they're close enough (50 yards or closer).
    They got about 50 yards away from us.

ACC

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    They got about 50 yards away from us.

ACC
    Inside of 50 yards, you will never beat a good shotgun. 65 yards is reasonable on coyote with my #F buckshot handloads.

You must have a full choke on that shotgun. At 30 yards I have seen most #00 buck miss a man size target with only 2-3 pellets hitting the silhouette with a Imp. cylinder choke. #4 buck had more hits on the silhouette, but does not have the penetration of #00 buck at that distance. A rifle caliber will also allow a lot more further range to engage dogs that are running away from you.
    I would use the mini-30 or similar semi auto rifle with a red dot sight for fast shooting of multiple targets.
    As for the hits on a silhouette target, I was a LEO firearms instructor that did many tests using police shotguns on silhouette targets at different distances to determine their effective range on human targets.

With a modified choke, 50 yards is no problem

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid, we once had a pack of three dogs running our cattle. My father led our welsh horse to a pasture gate and turned her and our dog loose. One of the invaders fought with and lost to our long-haired dog (collie-elkhound mix?) and two chased the horse. These dogs were used to chasing cattle, but when a cow kicks, it just throws a leg out without much aim (cattle fight with their heads) but a horse, as a cattleman coworker said, will pick the middle initial out of your belt buckle. Second dog got kicked in the chest, never to rise again. The last one went for the horse's front and met teeth bigger than his. He died under front hooves. Both our dog and our horse returned looking proud of themselves and were given large portions of their favorite treats.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Op is in Texas, not Australia. Russian bi-metal and cast bullets are too Ricochet prone to use around cattle. I have always used a 22-250 which works perfectly but so will a semi-auto .223 with expanding bullets.
    S,S,&S and no pics.

Listen to him. A decent AR is under $600 and will get the job done....not bad medicine for two legged packs of varmints either.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have a Mini-14 for such an occasion. Nowadays, the jacketed soft points are so cheap in bulk that it is barely worth casting for the semi-auto. I save my cast boolits in 223's for my bolt gun and single shots. Feral dogs are not just a danger to domestic stock but to small children. Many, many years ago a pack attacked a small child my neighborhood in rural SoCal so I went after them with a 222 and got several even though I knew which houses the dogs belonged to. I felt no guilt whatsoever.

Boolit Grand Master

AR with a Red Dot. I have an Eotech 512 on one and it is very fast.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    When I was a kid, we once had a pack of three dogs running our cattle. My father led our welsh horse to a pasture gate and turned her and our dog loose. One of the invaders fought with and lost to our long-haired dog (collie-elkhound mix?) and two chased the horse. These dogs were used to chasing cattle, but when a cow kicks, it just throws a leg out without much aim (cattle fight with their heads) but a horse, as a cattleman coworker said, will pick the middle initial out of your belt buckle. Second dog got kicked in the chest, never to rise again. The last one went for the horse's front and met teeth bigger than his. He died under front hooves. Both our dog and our horse returned looking proud of themselves and were given large portions of their favorite treats.
    I have heard that donkeys are very good for this too. They can be extremely aggressive against threats.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I have heard that donkeys are very good for this too. They can be extremely aggressive against threats.
    Yes, when I used to help my neighbor bale hay, their donkeys would sometimes go after my dog, once they got used to her they didn't try to attack her anymore. That is why he had them, for coyotes.

Boolit Master

Many around here use guard donkeys. One or two per pasture.

A dog going after them is like running into a garden tiller at full throttle.

Boolit Buddy
    I read an article some time ago that said a lot of sheep farmers have started keeping alpaca's to protect the herd from coyotes.
    My BIL has a horse he got cheap because it's got some kind of deformity in it's hooves. It must be painful cause that horse is plain foul tempered. Nothing crosses his pasture and lives. Cheap entertainment is to walk around the pasture and see if you can identify what died by the tufts of fur sticking out of the ground.

For the pest control you describe I have to agree with the majority here. A quick pointing semi-auto firing a light recoiling rifle cartridge with quick expanding bullets topped with a quality red dot or low power scope with a heavy reticle is just the ticket. Probably the easiest and cheapest to come by would be a flat top AR carbine in 5.56. My choice of slug would be 55 or 60gr Nosler BT's, but everyone has their own favorite.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I do not have experience with the Mini 30, but I have read that the magazines for those aren't the best. .
    Aftermarket magazines are iffy However Factory magazines work no faults.

Same as most platforms good mags work cheap junk don't.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    You must have a full choke on that shotgun. At 30 yards I have seen most #00 buck miss a man size target with only 2-3 pellets hitting the silhouette with a Imp. cylinder choke. #4 buck had more hits on the silhouette, but does not have the penetration of #00 buck at that distance. A rifle caliber will also allow a lot more further range to engage dogs that are running away from you.
    I would use the mini-30 or similar semi auto rifle with a red dot sight for fast shooting of multiple targets.
    As for the hits on a silhouette target, I was a LEO firearms instructor that did many tests using police shotguns on silhouette targets at different distances to determine their effective range on human targets.
    4 buck has plenty of penetration for dogs at ranges well beyond what you can get to pattern. Some guys go as small as BB for coyote. I go half way at #F, which produced tighter patterns than T or 4 buck in my gun. Yes, that is with a full choke. I have used that load with an improved cylinder and shot a fox at 40 yards, though only two hits in a lethal spot.

I never owned a mini14, but I've never had one fail. They are reliable.

My point is why limit yourself to 50-60 yards with a shotgun. Most of the dogs shot in my farmland area were well beyond that yardage as the dogs upon even seeing you will head for the next county after being shot at a few times. Use a weapon that will take them down from the muzzle to 200 yards is far better for day to day shooting of dogs harassing livestock.
    Most livestock owners encounter dogs when driving or walking their fields, not sitting in a blind calling them in to shotgun range.

IME knife maker nailed it. Killing stray dogs with a shotgun is ugly business unless they are close- which they won't be. Wounded dogs go home and make a scene that no one needs or wants.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast