WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
ADvertise hereInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Packs of Dogs

Texas I had one old timer in my area that was having problems with dogs attacking his sheep in the pasture behind his house. That old timer used a National Match M-1 Garand to kill about 4 dogs in a years time. Turned out he used to be in the Navy and was a member of their shooting team and when he retired he was allowed to keep his NM Garand that he used on the shooting team.
    I tried to talk him into selling that rifle to me, but he had promised his son the rifle when he passes away. The son has the rifle now and I miss talking to that old timer and hearing his stories.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems like everybody who has stock around here has at least one donkey in with them. Neighbor down the road has two. The cattle seem to stay away from them, for some reason, but a donkey is apparently way better at keeping coyotes away than any dog.

I live in the country, too. Came home from town to find 2 dogs inside my chicken coop with all my chickens killed. The chicken coop was built like Ft. Knox, but the dogs still managed to bust through a 1-ft by 1-ft heavy-duty double-wire-mesh window. Unfortunately for the dogs, they were too stupid leave the scene of the crime and exit from whence they came.
    A few shots from my truck gun (7.62x25 CZ-52) and the situation was resolved.
    My wife then got a little nervous and said, " What if they were some of our neighbors' dogs? What will we tell them?"
    My response was that if my chickens ever got loose and went to my neighbors' house and killed THEIR dogs, I would give them permission to kill my chickens.
    I don't hate dogs, but once they get the taste of chicken blood, they'll always come back for more.
    Last edited by Terminatorret; 05-17-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Terminatorret View Post
    I live in the country, too. Came home from town to find 2 dogs inside my chicken coop with all my chickens killed. The chicken coop was built like Ft. Knox, but the dogs still managed to bust through a 1-ft by 1-ft heavy-duty double-wire-mesh window. Unfortunately for the dogs, they were too stupid leave the scene of the crime and exit from whence they came.
    A few shots from my truck gun (7.62x25 CZ-52) and the situation was resolved.
    My wife then got a little nervous and said, " What if they were some of our neighbors' dogs? What will we tell them?"
    My response was that if my chickens ever got loose and went to my neighbors' house and killed THEIR dogs, I would give them permission to kill my chickens.
    I don't hate dogs, but once they get the taste of chicken blood, they'll always come back for more.
    Well, yes and no. We had a dog that killed a couple of chickens. Dad grabbed a dead chicken, beat the dog with it like a war drum, and tie-wired it around his neck. After 3 days, they dead chicken smelled so bad the dog never went near a chicken again. Personally, I think just tying the chicken would have done the job, that hand harsh toned scolding. I have never had a dog that wouldn't do anything for a praising tone, or tucked their tail for a harsh tone.

The neighbor's dog (farm area, hundreds of yards away) ended up on the wrong end of a 41 mag. It wasn't the first time, more like tenth. Neighbor was a foster parent of special needs kids who did not always latch the gate when they let the dog out to play with. Come sundown . . . you know the story.

Neighbor was always apologetic, ended up purchasing 3 dozen chicks to replace the chickens. Too bad half were Banty chicks, very prolific but it took 6 - 9 eggs per breakfast. Plus side is they were great brooders. We just put Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn eggs under the Banty hens. Down side was they also hid and bred up more Banty chicks. Solution, dad put an ad in the paper for 'free chickens.' Asian refugees to the rescue. After that, he had their phone number.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Shot prairie dogs on a ranch when I was in college. He gave us permission to shoot in the pasture with the cows on the condition that we shoot any canine we saw. I asked him how I could identify his dogs while out and about so we didn't shoot a pet. He replied "Don't matter. Shoot them too. They know they aren't supposed to be in the cattle."

He used a motorcycle and trucks for roundup....
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123