RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Soda cans?

Soda cans?

This may have been asked before, but I can't find anything on it.

Can soda cans be used to make gas checks? And where can you buy a gas check maker?

Thanks in advance.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Soda/beer cans are approximately. 004" thick. Some members use them doubled or triple layered to make full gas checks . Most use one of Pat Marlins plain base check makers to make single layer gas checks.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

I have not done it but some use them for plain base bullets. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...check-material
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

https://patmarlins.com/product-category/checkmaker/

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Gonna try some soon. Just did these this week. Seem to stay on pretty well. I can't get them off easily with a thumbnail. I'm going to keep them in the neck of the case just in case due to being bounced around in the magazine, but I'll hopefully have something to report soon. Seem to seat pretty well base first through the Lee sizer. Really didn't want to add another 2 or more operations but this is where my hobby has led me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200508_190507.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	262039

Name:	20200508_190526.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	262040
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Master
    As a matter of interest I actually use the aluminium from deodorant and hair spray cans, just cut off top and bottom and split open then cut into strips, OK so I am a tight wad. check thickness and match to your mould and bullets. Regards Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    This may have been asked before, but I can't find anything on it.

Can soda cans be used to make gas checks? And where can you buy a gas check maker?

Thanks in advance.

ACC
    Have you tried the search bar in your right hand top corner? At least on PC its there, if you type in there: "Plain Base Gas Checks" you'll get about dozen hits. I am just saying to be helpful, not trying to be rude or anything. I find this forum fascinating, so much much info like a goldmine.

Regarding gas checks yes as you discovered it works but the best way to seat it is using lubrisizer. I picked up a very similar mold recently and plan on testing soon.

Here's picture and youtube video: https://youtu.be/4YUwc7OZ8WY

Name:	plain base GC 30 cal.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	262063

I use soda/beer cans all the time in single ply for plain base boolits. I also use Pat Marlin's Gascheck Maker for them. I cut the can apart with a decent set of shears to make a rough rectangle and then I use an old paper cutter to square it up and cut it into strips to fit the die. Works pretty good for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Have you tried the search bar in your right hand top corner? At least on PC its there, if you type in there: "Plain Base Gas Checks" you'll get about dozen hits. I am just saying to be helpful, not trying to be rude or anything. I find this forum fascinating, so much much info like a goldmine.

Regarding gas checks yes as you discovered it works but the best way to seat it is using lubrisizer. I picked up a very similar mold recently and plan on testing soon.

Here's picture and youtube video: https://youtu.be/4YUwc7OZ8WY

Name:	plain base GC 30 cal.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	262063
    Thanks for the information you have provided on the subject. I'd been looking for a design that was a fairly reasonable-to-make single stroke checkmaker. Your videos helped a lot. Are you still selling yours? I had gotten the impression you weren't supplying the masses these days.

That a Lyman 310410? I'm just getting started with y MP 311410. Looks like it might be the ticket for supers in my blackout.

I'm going to have to dig around for my saeco lube sizer. Haven't seen that in a while....

Good to hear from you.

Have fun!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Quote Originally Posted by bld451 View Post
    Thanks for the information you have provided on the subject. I'd been looking for a design that was a fairly reasonable-to-make single stroke checkmaker. Your videos helped a lot. Are you still selling yours? I had gotten the impression you weren't supplying the masses these days.

That a Lyman 310410? I'm just getting started with y MP 311410. Looks like it might be the ticket for supers in my blackout.

I'm going to have to dig around for my saeco lube sizer. Haven't seen that in a while....

Good to hear from you.

Have fun!
    Regarding the GC tool, I'll be honest am still on the fence if I want to continue or not with it, pretty busy currently though and this is what I am afraid of, not able to keep up. Anyway shoot me PM and we can discuss further.

For my supers I use NOE HTC310-135-RN-BY3, it's normal gas check design and i prefer that over plain base. The normal gas checks are much thicker - I use .012 - .014" plus I seat them with regular Lee sizing die and they come out perfect. I am shooting 7.62 x 40WT which I call 300 blackout "magnum" and I get 2330fps without pushing too hard and accuracy is great. NOE HTC309-153-SP-BC3 is also great, it shoots excellent both in my 300 blackout Ruger bolt and 7.62x40WT AR15. The later advantage is that in later I get substantial increase in velocity with IMR 4198 powder due to extra case capacity.

The plain base mold I got looks like just Lyman but is actually Lachmiller and I get 134 - 137gr bullets with my lead alloy. My plan is to shoot as is and see how it performs, also the plan was to cast some zinc bullets, it would make 82gr bullets that I can hopefully push to 2600 - 2700 fps Quickload predicts I can hit 2700fps with 25 grains of Shooters World blackout powder at max pressure. I'll start at 23 and work myself up