Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Armscor 9mm Brass Length Problem

Solved: Mystery 9mm Brass

I went shooting with a friend last week who was running factory Armscor 9mm ammo. There were a couple times where he had a failure to feed; I didn't think much of it at the time and chalked it up to "the gun didn't like the ammo". However, today while I was reloading some of the Armscor brass from that outing (headstamp is "A USA") I discovered a case that had not been flared enough to accept a boolit. I measured the case length at 0.717". Seeing as the SAAMI minimum case length for 9mm is 0.744" I find this to be pretty severe. I have loaded about 50 of these cases and only found one like this so far.

Has anyone else come across this?

Edit: I like the 9x18 makarov explanation
    Last edited by Comfy; 05-13-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Master

Any chance it could be 9mm Kurz?
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    The 9x18 marokov has a case length of .713o could somebody have Cut down a 9mm to 9x18? Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
    I went shooting with a friend last week who was running factory Armscor 9mm ammo. There were a couple times where he had a failure to feed; I didn't think much of it at the time and chalked it up to "the gun didn't like the ammo". However, today while I was reloading some of the Armscor brass from that outing (headstamp is "A USA") I discovered a case that had not been flared enough to accept a boolit. I measured the case length at 0.717". Seeing as the SAAMI minimum case length for 9mm is 0.744" I find this to be pretty severe. I have loaded about 50 of these cases and only found one like this so far.

Has anyone else come across this?
    Armcor brass is usually pretty good stuff. But in this case I believe some 380 brass got in there some way. One way to tell is to resize it in a 9 mm full length resizer. The 380 case walls are thinner and a 380 case will just slide in like butter on bread. If it was me, and I hate to throw brass away, I would toss the short ones.

ACC

I suppose there could be a chance that I picked up someone else's brass. Maybe I'm too quick jumping to conclusions about the FTF problems my friend was having and seeing this short case in my pile of brass.

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Armcor brass is usually pretty good stuff. But in this case I believe some 380 brass got in there some way. One way to tell is to resize it in a 9 mm full length resizer. The 380 case walls are thinner and a 380 case will just slide in like butter on bread. If it was me, and I hate to throw brass away, I would toss the short ones.

ACC
    Case wall measures about 0.011" at the mouth, same as my other 9mm brass. This case is headstamped 9mm luger and standing side-by-side with a .380 acp case it is quite a bit taller. I couldn't tell you about the sizing force because I didn't catch it until I tried to place the boolit.

In case there was any confusion from my first post, I have only found one short case.

I cut down 9x19 to make 9x18 for my P-64, a common practice to obtain Makarov brass.
    Unless this was new unfired brass you can bet dollars to Navy beans this is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    The 9x18 marokov has a case length of .713o could somebody have Cut down a 9mm to 9x18? Just wondering
    The case body measures 0.390" at its widest point, whereas my other 9mm brass measures 0.388". This is after both have been sized. Could this indicate that it was fired in a 9x18 makarov? The SAAMI chamber drawing for the 9x18 show a larger chamber than for the 9mm. (.3913" for 9mm , .3960" for the 9x18).

It still seems odd though, why would it be .005" over the max case length for a 9x18 makarov?

Boolit Master
    The .713 to .717 is only .004 and the 9x18 length of .713 might be the trim to length. Also the 9x18 shoots a bigger bullet than 9mm .so the case would be a few thousand’s bigger than 9mm with the same wall thickness. 9 mm usually .355 .356 9x18 uses a .364 .365 bollit or around that I thank. I have a Hungarian two tone aluminum frame blue slide. Great gun but snappy with factory ammo. I load for over 20 calibers but the 9x18 is one i am holding off on. Just because I don’t want to trim 9mm cases down and getting them mixed up with my 9mm brass.
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 05-17-2020 at 11:13 PM.