Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Black Powder

Boolit Bub

Making Black Powder

It just seems natural.. getting into casting and touching off and old "smoke pole" with a patched round ball is just plain cool. But to add to the thrill/insanity, who all makes their own powder? It seems like a relatively straight forward process, but it also seems like the kind of thing that that could go real wrong real fast. Here are some questions I have..

1. Obviously ingredient purity is important. Where are you sourcing your ingredients and how pure is "Pure enough"

2. Charcoal. There seem to be some varied opinions on coal selection. I have read about using all kinds of charcoal, from lump hardwood cooking coals to activated carbon from the fish tank care section of the pet store.. someone please expound...

3. Batch consistency. No two cakes are the same despite using the same recipe. Is BP the same way? What are some ways to mitigate inconsistencies? I'm thinking larger batches (1/2 pound at a time) would reduce the small batch variances as well as give some extra to proof the powder.

4. How do you proof the powder to know how much to use?

5. Do you trust it? A teaspoon of powder in a mini cannon is one thing, but are you willing to load a home brew BP into a gun and actually have faith in it not blowing your face off?

****Disclaimer****
    I have never used a black powder firearm to hunt game. I do not plan on using BP (store bought or homemade) to hunt game. I do not intend to use it for making explosives (including fireworks). I will not be selling it. I will not allow others to use it. I will keep it labeled as home made so it does not get used as factory made. This will simply be an experiment. I will most likely destroy any remainder should this be successful.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

There is a long sticky on this topic that will absorb your life if you let it. Check it out
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-black-powder
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

You got a lot of reading to do! What's up with disclaimer ? I use BP to hunt game all the time as it is very accurate and humane in some calibers.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Bub
    I might at some point, but i usually see more hogs and coyotes than deer. Really like my 243 for those quick follow up shots on multiple targets...

Quote Originally Posted by djohns28 View Post
    . Charcoal. There seem to be some varied opinions on coal selection. .
    I'd read awhile back that one of the things that made British BP so preferable was that they used willow wood to make their charcoal.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Folks have been making their own BP for 500 years. Done properly it's as good as anything you can purchase. Done improperly not some much. Kind of like most other things. As to danger that is mostly in the milling process and again that can be mitigated if done properly.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Read the thread in the Muzzle Loading forum, It will answer all of questions. The 1st few pages will give you the recipe and how to do it on the cheap. I jumped on board early 9 years ago. I use it in a cartridge rifle and ML. I have taken a number of deer and squirrels with it and shot it in friendly competition out to 500yrds.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Biggest (actually second biggest) mistake made is to use impure ingredients ......government are cunning ,and so arrange about 10% inert material in easily available nitrate and sulfur The combination of the two additives means the powder cant make powerful you know whats.....You need pure grade chemicals ,like reagent grade ,which are quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Biggest (actually second biggest) mistake made is to use impure ingredients ......government are cunning ,and so arrange about 10% inert material in easily available nitrate and sulfur The combination of the two additives means the powder cant make powerful you know whats.....You need pure grade chemicals ,like reagent grade ,which are quite expensive.
    I vehemently disagree that reagent grade chems must be used. I have made BP that is quite robust from floor sweeping KNO3 from a defunct glass manufacturer, flowers of sulfur from a greenhouse supplier and charcoal from a willow that we took down in my sisters yard.

We use the analog of the baseball test on BP, it involves a mortar, a base ball and 1 oz (exactly) of BP. In this test, tree stump remover (KNO3) and dusting sulfur for roses have been used in conjunction with Eastern Red Cedar airfloat charcoal for a flight time in excess of any commercial BP.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I vehemently disagree that reagent grade chems must be used. I have made BP that is quite robust from floor sweeping KNO3 from a defunct glass manufacturer, flowers of sulfur from a greenhouse supplier and charcoal from a willow that we took down in my sisters yard.

We use the analog of the baseball test on BP, it involves a mortar, a base ball and 1 oz (exactly) of BP. In this test, tree stump remover (KNO3) and dusting sulfur for roses have been used in conjunction with Eastern Red Cedar airfloat charcoal for a flight time in excess of any commercial BP.
    This seems like a very effected proofing test.. did you find the baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by djohns28 View Post
    This seems like a very effected proofing test.. did you find the baseball?
    One can make fun of the test but as an analog, it is very effective and yes, the baseball always comes back down in the field and is shot on a day with high clouds and still air if possible.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Making some myself has been on my mind for years. I’ve bought the components, but still lack high grade charcoal, that seems to be the most critical part. There’s plenty to be found out about the process on this site. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Making some myself has been on my mind for years. I’ve bought the components, but still lack high grade charcoal, that seems to be the most critical part. There’s plenty to be found out about the process on this site. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Make the charcoal yourself, it is simple to do, costs very little to make the TLUD container, the wood should be free or at a slight cost if buying pet bedding and it's actually fun to do!

This video shows a simple 1 gallon can method:

Boolit Master

For Charcoal I've been using Tree of Heaven, it is an invasive species that grows very fast. It has outperformed the 2 different types of willow that I have tried.
    In this country high quality KNO3 and Sulfur are not hard to get. My 1st batches of BP were made with Spectracide stump remover for KNO3. The powder was good enough to shoot all of the way through this deer with a BPCR.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deer Season 11 011.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I couldn’t get the video to play.
    I need to get out in the woods to find the good wood for charcoal and then buy or make a tumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Make the charcoal yourself, it is simple to do, costs very little to make the TLUD container, the wood should be free or at a slight cost if buying pet bedding and it's actually fun to do!

This video shows a simple 1 gallon can method:

Boolit Buddy
    2 things I question in that vidio.
    1] pine shavings are not the best for charcoal, cheap yes good not so much.
    2] he's not to smart doing the fab and burn in open toe foot ware. Whats the current thing o'ya proper PPE.
    Shaune509

Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    2 things I question in that vidio.
    1] pine shavings are not the best for charcoal, cheap yes good not so much.
    2] he's not to smart doing the fab and burn in open toe foot ware. Whats the current thing o'ya proper PPE.
    Shaune509
    Not so, commercial charcoal is made from hardwoods, pine has more VOC's and provides greater energy. Eastern Red Cedar has even more, Paulownia, even more!

Here is a great page showing charcoal testing for BP. http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fire...oal_tests.html

Boolit Master
    I get my nitrate and sulfur from DUDA Diesel. Charcoal I make with Willow and Tree of Heaven. Just finished grinding the last of the Willow. Next batch will be Tree of Heaven.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Bub
    Well, I found Spectracide and 90 percent sulfur from a big blue box store. Had some mesquite lump charcoal at the house and a rock tumbler from our favorite cheap Chinese tool outlet. Ground up the charcoal and sifted it with the finest sifter I could find. Weighed out the components and put them in the rubber rock polisher can with some cast lead 38 cal bullets (no lube) to make an impromptu ball mill. Let it run about an hour and a half. Tested a small sample and it didn't ignite right away like i thought it would, but when it did ignite it went quick!! It burned with a pinkish hue and made tons of smoke. There were some little white balls left behind and some of what appeared to be really grainy soot if that makes sense?? They looked like pepper flakes but were all black. After it got good and dark I did another burn test to show my wife and it seemed to burn slower. I may just make some small firecrackers out of it. Or maybe now I have a reason to build a cannon??

Boolit Master

I would think that Mesquite charcoal would be too hard to make good gunpowder. You really need a fast growing tree to make the best powder. You should be able to find Tree of Heaven in TX. That stuff grows so fast you can stand and watch it grow.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast