Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to determine correct impact velocity for WFNGC designs ?

Boolit Buddy
    A friend made a high shoulder shot at around 75 yds on a 300 lb hog with a 255 gr lee that I loaded for him. Velocity was 1338 if I remember correctly. Hog dropped at the shot and never moved. He said boolit went through both shoulders and kept going.

Quote Originally Posted by boatbum101 View Post
    I'm sure much of this depends on caliber / alloy / intended range & game . Let me state what I wish to do & let you gents tell me what you think about how to get there . My primary game is feral hogs in medium to heavy cover @ max 100yds , majority will probably be shorter . Calibers will be 357 mag , 357 Max , 41 mag & 44 mag . With the exception of the 41 rest are T/C Encores with MGM 20" barrels , 41 is a Henry BBS . Twist rates are 1 in 16" for both 357's , 1 in 18.75" for the 41 & 1 in 20" for the 44 . I want pass thru & be able to take shoulder shots as crawling thru the bushes after a wounded hog aint on my bucket list . Alloy to start is ACWW.
    1) 357 mag with LBT / NOE 180 WFNGC from a 20" barrel 1700 to 1800fps is possible & this bullet should work well at that speed I believe . I'm probably harder alloywise than I need but until I've gained experience with this load I can see going softer won't hurt within reason .
    2) 357 Max with same 180 from a 20" wow 2200 is possible but I believe might be too much with this bullet . Am seriously considering a 200 to keep velocity down some . With the 180 might be better served with a little faster or slower powder choice to also keep speed in check hmmm .
    3) 41 mag also from a 20" . Levergun so I went with a LBT 240 LFNGC & I also have some 240 WFNGC ( if they'll chamber ? ) The LFN chambers & feeds . I believe 1700 is doable & both bullets should work at that speed .
    4) 44 mag with LBT 260 WFNGC out a 20" I believe 1700fps is possible , but is that too fast ? Would 1500 work better ? If so again would it be better to use a faster like Enforcer or a case full of slower like 1680 , RL7 etc. ?
    Maybe I'm overthinking all this but with cast sometimes slower kills faster . Jacketed just the opposite if you match bullet to game intended .

Sounds like you've got plenty of good loads already. Use whichever is the most accurate and get hunting!

Boolit Buddy
    With a WFN I would say velocity should be moving lol those things are killers!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12