Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K31 Swiss Boolit suggestion

Boolit Master

I experimented with the NOE 311-180, Gas Checked and sized .3095 with Carnuba Red lube and 2400 powder. I worked up from 16 to 20 grains at 1700 FPS and each increase in powder shrunk group size. 20 grains net a one inch group at 50 yards using a 1911 carbine and original sights. I could easily hit the 300 yard gong with the rear sight set for 600

Boolit Buddy
    Hello everyone,
    The RCBS 165 Sil mold came in last week. I cast some bullets with it the day it came in, and sized them to .309.
    It has been windy and cold here, and not fit for shooting for accuracy. Also, I have had a lot of things going on, but I finally got a little window of time to go to the range and try it.
    I loaded up 50 rounds with starting with 16 grs of 2400 and going up to 18 grs. I shot some nice groups with this bullet, and found my best accuracy came in at around 17 grs. Both batches of 17 and 17.5 shot well, at 50 yards, but with the fading light of my evening shoot, I want to revisit these two loads.
    So long story short, the 165 -Sil shoots well, and even though its a bit larger at the nose that I had hoped for, measuring .302 -.303 it still allows the bolt to close up with out having to drive it shut with the heal of my hand.
    That said with the bullet seated where it is suppose to be, the nose of bullet has marks from the rifling on it when I open the bolt. The are pretty light, and don't cause the bullet to stick in the throat like the 311/ 291 did.
    Over all I think its just about right.. engraving the lead just enough to hold it perfectly centered, but not enough to cause difficulties closing the bolt. As long as the bolt is closed briskly, you never even notice it.
    So, i think I have found my bullet... Finally! Now to order the Swiss products mount, and get serious about load development, and move out to 100 yards.

My K31 bullet is an Eagan MX3-30-AR. It's very similar to the RCBS maybe a bit more taper to the nose. It's a nose pour mold. I think it does make a difference in accuracy when you keep the check out of the boiler room. I had a fellow make me a nose bumping die that allows me to make use of some bullets that would otherwise seat deeper in the case. I like Blue Dot loads too. But with a particular alloy I was using, BD pressures were too high at the 2000fps velocity I wanted and a 4198 speed powder worked better at that level. 25.7gr of 4198 ought to get you in that vicinity, if you're interested in going there.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 11-19-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123