RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxPBcastco
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K31 Swiss Boolit suggestion

Boolit Buddy

K31 Swiss Boolit suggestion

Hello,

I was wondering if any one has any K-31 advise that they would be willing to share with me?
    Is a Swiss just harder to get to shoot well? I have read where the throats are really tight, and there for bullet selection is limited. I have experienced some issues with having to seat deeper than I wanted to, in order to get the bolt to close up. Seating the bullet deeper helps this, but puts the base of the bullet below the neck, and that is usually not good for accuracy.
    I have several .309 - 312 bullet options, I have a lee, 309- 150FP, a Lee 309-170, a Lyman 311-291, and a Lyman 311- 466, to work with. I have tried most, of the things that usually work with cast in Military rifles, and am still not getting the accuracy that I had hoped for. I am shooting off of a rest, and with the open sights, at both 50 and 100 yards.
    About the best I can hold is 4 - 5 inches at 100 yards, and maybe 2 - 3 inches at 50.
    I can usually hold 2 inches, or less with 5 shots off the bench at 100 yards, with most of the old guns.
    The Ed Harris, load, or something in that range, has worked in several different rifles, I have a couple of 8mm's a 03A3. Usually I shoot 12 - 13 grs. of Red or Green Dot, or 16- 18 grs. of 2400, and things work pretty well.

The bore on the Swiss, has been scrubbed well, and the cooper removed, and the bore looks good. Its a late production rifle, and appears to be in good condition. The rifle appears to be tight in the wood, and I really see no reason why it does not shoot better. I have seen rifles with pretty pitted bores that shoot a lot better than this one.
    Well any way I am open to suggestions.
    Thank you,
    LC

I have had good results with the RCBS 165 Sil bullet with the gas check sized .311. The sizing die does not touch the rest of the bullet. WIN LR Std primer, Privi cases, 2400 powder 16.0 to 16.5 grains. The top driving bank is barely above the case mouth.

This combination has shot into the 390's in a couple of different rifles at the Van Dyne Sportsmen's club Military matches. Not always but enough times to show it is not a fluke. This was with scopes to 6 power as per CBA Military Match rules.

NOE makes a mould for the K31 but I could not find it in their current catalog. I have not used it as the RCBS mould works very well for me and others.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Buddy
    Try to find one of the old Lyman 311414 molds for the 300 Savage. Works
    well in the 7.5 Swiss. I think that Noe's mold is a copy of the 311414.

Lead collector, At one time I owned 2 K-31's (since sold), and found some of the CB's you mentioned above were quite accurate: Ly. #311466, Ly. #311291, and the Lee CB were favorites. However, I sized them to .309" and needed a nose reducing die* for -291, which allowed me to seat that CB ~1/8" farther out. As for propellants, I'd suggest 11 - 12 gr. Unique; 18gr. WC 820 (AA #9); or 19 - 20gr. IMR 4198.

*made to my exact specs. by the late Joe Wiest.

Will to some extent depend on whether your throat is worn or not.

Regardless the bullet form, I had very good results using up to 21 grains of Blue Dot when the bullets were cast very hard.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

In the K-31 , try the Lee C312-155-2R boolit it is a 155 grain spitzer , the design is by C. E. Harris, for the 7.62X39 . You will have to experiment with sizing diameters to fit your individual rifles
    throat .
    My Schmidt-Rubin is a K-11 , 1911 Carbine , and has a longer throat suited to long heavy cast boolits ... I size mine .309" .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I had good results with the Lee C312-155-2R also. Both rifles are long gone, very accurate and well made but I just like my turn bolts better.

I'll second the rcbs 165 bullet and also the Lee 155 . Yeah you may need to seat them a little deeper depending on the nose dia . Most k31 barrels the actual bore dia is not .300 more like .297-299. But if your rifle has been shot a good bit the throat may be closer to .300 and will open up a lot more bullet options .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for info, and for taking the time to respond. I have heard good reports on the RCBS 165 Sil, and the Lee 155 grain.
    I will keep my eyes open for one of these, or I may know of one I can borrow and try out.

I was trying to get this thing to shoot something that I already had, and I am happy to hear that the 311-291 and the 312-466 is a possibility.
    The 311-291 is a proven performer in other rifles that myself and my other lead shooters in my family.
    The 312-466 is a new bullet mold to me, and I have not taken the time to work with it as much.
    Since it is shorter, and by the design of the nose, it might lend its self to the tight throats of a Swiss rifle?
    From the sound of it, a worn throat might be better in the case of the Swiss?

I will get out and try some experiments, and see if I can learn anything about Swiss rifles.

Boolit Master
    I will also recommend the Lee 155gn 7.62x39 bullet, It functioned really well gas checked to .309 in both my K31

and K11 with either Accurate 5744 or Rel 7.

ukrifleman

Boolit Buddy
    Well the combo of good advice, and a rainy day, and I am soon to be the owner of the Lee mold that was recommended.

It should be here the first of next week. We shall see what happens!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead collector View Post
    Well the combo of good advice, and a rainy day, and I am soon to be the owner of the Lee mold that was recommended.

It should be here the first of next week. We shall see what happens!
    Lead collector,

My Swiss M1911 and M1931 arms like the Lee C-312-185-1R cast boolit and Unique powder. I size to .309", use Alox and the boolits hit the same place as my jacketed 150 grain loads at the same sight setting at 100 yards.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    All good thoughts, and thank you..

Good advice on the Unique Powder, its always a good choice, and I have a little of that stuff around.
    I have that 312- 185 mold that was mentioned. It was too small in my Argentine and Russian rifles, so maybe this is a spot for it to shine.
    Also mentioned was Blue dot... Never tried that powder, in any thing, and I have been an fan of this family of powders since it was Hercules Powder. Might try that and see what happens.
    Since its raining, and it appears that rain is here for the next 5 days, I will give the old swiss a good cleaning, and load some ammo. If it ever stops raining?? I will be ready to go to the range.
    My new mold is scheduled to arrive on Monday according to the tracking info. They are really quick to process the order from earlier today..

I found this bullet worked well in my Schmidt Reuben (sp?) 1911 and my K31. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-185S-D.png

I don't have the mould but the fellow who designed the bullet (a member here) sent me 20 or so to try. I loaded half as greased bullets and sized the other half to .303 and patched to .312. Either way they shot exceedingly well. For the greasers, I used 18-19 grains of 2400 and don't remember what for the patched bulllets, probably Reloader 15 or 19. If you are buying a mould, look this one over closely.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pick one, they all are accurate, boxes in inventory:
    7.5x55R 50 Sierra 168HPBT/46.6gr 4350
    7.5x55R 50 Berger VLD/47.5gr 4350
    7.5x55R 25 Sierra 168 HPBT/46.6gr 4350
    7.5x55R 20 311413/ 44gr 4350
    7.5x55R 34 311413/46.6gr 4350
    I can hit a 1000yd silhouette using open sights with the 311413 reloads. Takes a few sighters (within inches) to get on, then they go down
    Last edited by John Boy; 05-13-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot the lyman 311299 over 38 grains of IMR 4350. i have also had good luck with the lyman 311413 over 35 grains of IMR 4895.

In my K31 i tried several types, the ones I like are:
    Lee 309-170F, with GC and .309'' sizing: loaded with 16 to 17gn Alliant 2400 (or Lovex S040), only dislike is: it cannot be loaded from magazine in K31, so single-shot only.
    the type I tried the most (and got most good results with) is the Lee 312-155, with GC and sized at .311" (which is in my k31 better then .309'sizing), loaded with about 16,0gn Lovex S040

I also got a NOEmould for the K31,but in my rifle I found not yet a load which is reliable accurate. I'm getting some fliers out of the blue... but a load of about 17,8gm Lovex S040 seems promising.
    And I have to find a way to seat the gaschecks properly straight.

All loads are tried with the longest coal, perhaps there is accuarcy improvement possible by playing around with shorter coal's, I don't know.. yet.
    and I just tried the use of fillers in another rifle, this is a thing i haven't tested in the K31, perhaps this can also improve some...
    as soon as the gunrange is open again I have a lot of testings to do ..

Good luckwith it!

I speak English very well, not so snel maar dat komt nog wel!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I found this bullet worked well in my Schmidt Reuben (sp?) 1911 and my K31. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-185S-D.png

I don't have the mould but the fellow who designed the bullet (a member here) sent me 20 or so to try. I loaded half as greased bullets and sized the other half to .303 and patched to .312. Either way they shot exceedingly well. For the greasers, I used 18-19 grains of 2400 and don't remember what for the patched bulllets, probably Reloader 15 or 19. If you are buying a mould, look this one over closely.
    Pic didn’t show. No name mould.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee C312-155-2R that I ordered last week arrived today. If time allows tonight, I will go out and cast some of them up, and load some test loads. It sounds like we are going to be rain free for the next 2 or 3 days, and its too wet to mow grass.
    So I might get to go try out some test loads one night this week.
    I will let you all know what happens. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions..
    LC

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Pic didn’t show. No name mould.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The bullet is 31-185D Klick the link.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast