RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Repairing a broken decapper pin in the Lee collet neck sizing die

Repairing a broken decapper pin in the Lee collet neck sizing die

My son ran a berdan case through the neck sizer and ruined the pin.
    I drilled the broken pin's stub out and used red Locktite to glue a replacement pin in.
    The replacement was made of an old VCR's roller shaft, exactly 2mm in diameter.
    This was a close call, since Lee parts are almost entirely out of stock in my neck of the woods.
    Attachment 262000

Boolit Master

Tokarev,
    Good Job!

Looks great! The former pin looks like it's their lathe turned style which I haven't had near as good of luck with as their older needle bearing style. When they break the stem gets chucked up in the lathe and the shaft drilled for a large or small RCBS decapping stem. They sell 50 packs of the pins and I've got one of each. The original "unbreakable" decapping pins were roller bearings according to what Lee says. Love to know exactly what pin numbers they used were and who manufactured them.

Boolit Master

I use a universal decapping die. I broke the lee pin. Replaced with Squirrel daddy pin. I bought a 3 pack. Still have all 3 pins.
    https://www.squirreldaddy.com/3-Ball...p/sd24-107.htm
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Good work. I really miss a lathe. I had one in my shop at work and used it for many things besides work, now I don't have enough room even for a mini-lathe...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Drill blanks, bearing rollers, all work for this modification. Make sure the new oin is bottomed in the hole so the force dosnt work on the locktite. Nice looking job there.

Mdi, a lot of Government work gets done in machine shops everywhere LOL. I missed it so much Im putting in a shop here now. It was nice being able to put what I wanted to modify in my pocket and do it. The only thing I dont have is a ID OD grinder.

Mini lathe is a must if one owns guns. Small repairs, brake installations, brass modding, and lots more become so much easier!

I was already contemplating to sacrifice a drill bit, when I found a jar with the VCR roller shafts. I've been saving them since the early 2000's when VCRs ended up on the roadside. Its steel is as hard as roller bearings, or better.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Looks great! The former pin looks like it's their lathe turned style which I haven't had near as good of luck with as their older needle bearing style. When they break the stem gets chucked up in the lathe and the shaft drilled for a large or small RCBS decapping stem. They sell 50 packs of the pins and I've got one of each. The original "unbreakable" decapping pins were roller bearings according to what Lee says. Love to know exactly what pin numbers they used were and who manufactured them.
    I miss the old bullet proof ones. I've seen them punch through b
    Berdan cases back in the day.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    I have used my mini lathe to make replacement shafts from military M16 cleaning rods with a roller pin from used U joints. I drill the new pin hole a bit smaller than the roller pin and press them in. The M 16 cleaning rod is already the correct diameter for lee dies.

The mini lathe is one of the best accessories on my loading bench.

Boolit Master

The old Lee style used a 1/16" dia dowel pin. I never broke one but one did pull out and get lost on the floor. Lee has gotten fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    My son ran a berdan case through the neck sizer and ruined the pin.
    I drilled the broken pin's stub out and used red Locktite to glue a replacement pin in.
    The replacement was made of an old VCR's roller shaft, exactly 2mm in diameter.
    This was a close call, since Lee parts are almost entirely out of stock in my neck of the woods.
    Attachment 262000
    Wow! Nice work.

ACC