RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W (yet another caliber)

Boolit Master

.40 S&W (yet another caliber)

Here goes nothing. Seems every time I load for a new caliber, it's like discovering another planet. Long story short, I'm loading .40 S&W with Unique (4.7-5.8 gn range) for a 175 gn SWC (#401638 175 gr. #2 Alloy 1.100" OAL). On the contrary, every time I notice the powder fill most of case after first charge I measure the depth from neck to powder and compare it to the boolits I'm using. Considering a 1.1" OAL seems the starting charge is right near the base of boolit. Also my brass is within spec (.845"). My question is, is how does Unique operate under "close confines"?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

No idea on Unique. But I am pretty sure it'll do the job...

But, I really like AA#7 in 40 S&W.

I also like the NOE HTC 402 188 for a boolit... I cast these in a cup point and they are right around 175 grain.

They look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White_40s.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	261993
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    No idea on Unique. But I am pretty sure it'll do the job...

But, I really like AA#7 in 40 S&W.

I also like the NOE HTC 402 188 for a boolit... I cast these in a cup point and they are right around 175 grain.
    Thanks, having a hard time finding a mold other than the Lee 90433 (175 gn SWC).

Boolit Buddy
    1.1" is quite short. I believe SAAMI max for .40 is about the same as 9mm (1.169"). That said, I load to 1.180-1.200" for my .40 (2011 style). If I was going to load as short as you are, I would be very careful about the powder charge I used and work up very carefully.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    1.1" is quite short. I believe SAAMI max for .40 is about the same as 9mm (1.169"). That said, I load to 1.180-1.200" for my .40 (2011 style). If I was going to load as short as you are, I would be very careful about the powder charge I used and work up very carefully.
    That's what I was getting at. I seated one at 1.135 and shoulder of bullet was peaking out of neck about 1/8"-did the plunk test and fell in chamber (slide locked open), no problem.

Boolit Master
    I load for a 40 S&W some. I go by how far a bullet goes into the case at proper OAL. This has been discussed, discussed more and reiterated much. What OAL you wind up with for your cartridge to pass the plunk test then be sure to check how deep the bullet seats. Compare to a factory 180 grain for reference. I use factory ammo in most of my handguns as reference ammo on the dimensions etc. Jacketed bullets depth can be referenced as far as seating depth compared to cast seating depth to help you.
    I use a Hornady 200 XTP and it seats deep. Am going to get a mold made by Mountain Molds soon. It will be 200 grains too.
    If your bullet seats no deeper than a bullet in loading data (reliable loading data) and the data says that range of Unique start low and work up and don't worry about the level of the powder.
    If you can get by using a longer OAL do that too.

I have never used unique in the 40, but I have loaded a few 170 SWC’s. Looking at the notes, I was at 1.125 COAL.

I imagine you have read all about the sensitivity that the 40 has for bullet setback- the pressures can rise rapidly as the COAL is reduced. I tend to load them lighter than the max, and crimp them firmly in place.

There are a number of powders that work well in the forty. Of all the ones that I have used, Universal Clays left me with the best impression. It is very accurate, can make plenty of power, and clean.
    Last edited by 1006; 05-12-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Lyman 4th Ed. Handbook pg. 263: "Lyman 401638 COAL 1.100" Unique 4.7~5.8". I don't happen to use Unique for 40 SW but my G22 w/LW barrel is happy with the 401638 at a COAL of 1.100" using Promo or WSF. By all means use the longest COAL that suits your chamber but I personally trust Lyman data. My favorite mold for both 40 SW and 10MM is the Lyman 401043.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been trying out Power Pistol in my SW M&P .40 , it's very flashy and I'm not really impressed. Someone gave me most of a pound. Not sure what to do with the rest as I'm moving onto other powders
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Most accurate results with a powder (as far as book said) was N340. Have a lot of powder but not N340 so I went with Unique which everybody raves about. I find it's one of the more difficult powders to meter for some reason through a Uniflow.

Boolit Master
    I have been using Hodgdons Longshot and am liking it immensely. Meters pretty well (better than Unique) and am liking PowerPistol too.
    Just my opinion though. Plus both will do pretty well in 10MM's too. Although so far I am liking AA#9 in the 10's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Here goes nothing. Seems every time I load for a new caliber, it's like discovering another planet. Long story short, I'm loading .40 S&W with Unique (4.7-5.8 gn range) for a 175 gn SWC (#401638 175 gr. #2 Alloy 1.100" OAL). On the contrary, every time I notice the powder fill most of case after first charge I measure the depth from neck to powder and compare it to the boolits I'm using. Considering a 1.1" OAL seems the starting charge is right near the base of boolit. Also my brass is within spec (.845"). My question is, is how does Unique operate under "close confines"?
    I love Unique in the 40. Many do NOT understand the whole dynamic of powder compression. Compressing powders isn't always bad. It depends on the powder & the charge wt. I have compressed Unique in 9mm with heavy bullets, just not an issue. I don't think 40 is any diff, I just haven't gotten a load that compresses Unique in 40 yet. There are some powders you can compress 110% & not have pressure issue because they are so slow.
    OAL, also horribly misunderstood. Pretty much forget what the data shows you. OAL is always gun & bullet specific. So I load for the longest OAL that fits my gun with my bullet. Then work the powder charge up. In 40, most bullets, I load everything to the max of 1.130".
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I get best 9mm accuracy with Unique also .
    First time I was charging cases with 4.8 grs. I wondered if there was enough room for the boolit , there is ... in fact I worked up to a max. load of 5.2 grs. My pet heavy 9mm load is
    NOE 358-124-TC-GC w/ 5.2 grs. Unique @ 1160 fps does nicely .
    Unique, being a flake powder, must not be as bulky as it looks or is not sensitive to being slightly compressed .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Now I feel somewhat more comfortable with this. Forgot to mention I was loading for a 3rd gen. Glock 22. (NOPD trade in). Not sure if these are more or less forgiving than a 1911. Anyway, I'll cheat a little on OAL and see what happens.

Boolit Master

Why in earth would you load the .40 S&W. Just kidding. Kinda.

Boolit Bub
    i like TiteGroup for 40. It meters very will for me. I plan to work up some longshot since I'm loading it in shot shells.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Why in earth would you load the .40 S&W. Just kidding. Kinda.
    I understand your point as you can usually find large quantities at good prices. But since I do cast and load my own .223 rounds it costs me less about a third of what I'd pay for factory plus my hand loads are predictable.

Boolit Master

Thanks to everyone for advice. In reference to finding a mold, I ordered one of the LAST one's from flee-bay with handles (90433). Matter of fact, it's slim pickings now everywhere. So it's been mentioned that Unique, Titegroup, AA#7, Universal Clays and some others but has anyone actually used Vihtavuori N340?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I load for a 40 S&W some. I go by how far a bullet goes into the case at proper OAL. This has been discussed, discussed more and reiterated much. What OAL you wind up with for your cartridge to pass the plunk test then be sure to check how deep the bullet seats. Compare to a factory 180 grain for reference. I use factory ammo in most of my handguns as reference ammo on the dimensions etc. Jacketed bullets depth can be referenced as far as seating depth compared to cast seating depth to help you.
    I use a Hornady 200 XTP and it seats deep. Am going to get a mold made by Mountain Molds soon. It will be 200 grains too.
    If your bullet seats no deeper than a bullet in loading data (reliable loading data) and the data says that range of Unique start low and work up and don't worry about the level of the powder.
    If you can get by using a longer OAL do that too.
    I agree, there's been much discussion on here about seating depth. I did do some research and found interesting posts about guys loading .308 with 15 gn's of Unique using no fillers and then some that do use fillers. But that's another can of worms. Anyhow, bullets chamber in the 40 I'm loading with lengths up to 1.17" and still comfortably fit chamber/mag. So I settled on 1.14". I did charge a case to the max of 5.8 gn's and at 1.14" OAL the base is right at powder.

I found the .40 to be a pleasure to load with cast( unlike the 9mm) but I only used Bullseye for mine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast