Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Press

Boolit Grand Master

I had the same press, had the same problem - called RCBS, they said that all of theirs did the same thing! They had no solution for the handle drop on the Jr2/3 design. Arisaka99 has my press now. Don't know if he is still hanging around here.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    They is a wave washer on the pin that holds the handle in place. I thought it was standard. Never thought about the handle staying up. Maybe that is the solution for dropping handle. Hope this helps.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

My Jr has a wave washer to hold the handle up.
    They must be available somewhere.
    Measure the pin diameter and google it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    My Jr has a wave washer to hold the handle up.
    They must be available somewhere.
    Measure the pin diameter and google it.
    RCBS will mail you a couple if you call them.

Boolit Master

I got a Reloader Special, which looks just like the JR about 10 years ago at a yard sale. It came with a Uniflow measure, 50? scale, 3 sets of dies, a Lee hand primer(round tray model) and a few other small items. Sold the Lee hand primer for $10 + shipping and traded a set of dies (RCBS 7mm Mag) for about $30-$35 worth of brass. Initial outlay was $45 and RCBS sent a new cap for the Uniflow hopper free of charge.

It was the only time I ever found reloading equipment at a yard sale.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I’ll have to call them about mine my granddad passed it to me a couple years ago and the handle does the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I just cut a piece of broom handle, or large diameter dowel rod to length
    and raise handle and put it between the shell holder and top of frame.
    Problem solved.
    Denny

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I just cut a piece of broom handle, or large diameter dowel rod to length
    and raise handle and put it between the shell holder and top of frame.
    Problem solved.
    Denny
    Ha! Too simple!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    My JR3 had the same problem, called RCBS and they sent me some. If you're in a hurry, Ace Hardware has wave washers that will work.

Boolit Buddy
    I refit my old RCBS Jr 2 press with an Ergo lever from Inline Fabrication. Doing so resolved the "dropping handle" problem, which wasn't fixed with a wave washer, btw, and the new handle makes the press soooo much easier to use. I know it's extravagant to put such an expensive handle on an inexpensive press, but it was worth it. Oh yeah, at the same time I put a quick change plate on it so I can switch it out with my other presses.
    Last edited by fgd135; 05-25-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    The original simple toggle link press's rams were angled back to allow better observation of the cases. That tilted-back angle usually kept the lever from falling so easily. But, when RCBS started their economical simple toggle link press lines and made the ram travel vertical, the slightly changed center of gravity went the wrong way, that allowed the lever to fall of its own weight and that in turn raises the ram with painful force! (Some 20 years ago I expoxied puttied a cheep hardware store bar magnet against the lower body of a friend's RS-2 to hold the steel lever up and prevent that from happening to him again.)

When RCBS started making the RC series presses the compound linkage and toggle block was rotated enough to keep the lever from falling so easily when at rest; that simple change of lever-to-toggle geometry has saved a lot of finger tips from pain!

Boolit Bub
    I like the idea with the dowel, simple and cheap.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Think you've got it bad? The Herter's presses from the late fifties into the late sixties had a cast iron handle salvaged from a steam locomotive....I swear it weighed at least ten pounds. When that handle dropped it ALWAYS either smacked your knee or in a more sensitive place. I finally learned to sit to one side, just to avoid injury.

That's why I can appreciate my Rock Chucker.

Boolit Bub
    Funny you should mention the Herter presses, my friend has a Super No 3 that he got at an estate sale. I was checking it over and picked it up and handle dropped and the ram barely missed my hand but did manage to ding my shin.
    Last edited by sackettboys; 05-29-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I received a RCBS JR2 press from an apartment manager who found it in a unit when he was cleaning it.. kind of rusted but most of it was solid.. so I cleaned it up and painted it.. the handle droops..

I was surprised when I called RCBS today and was asking about the washer.. he then said he would send me out the part.. when I explained that I was not the original owner. He said no worries, its still under warranty service when I offered to pay. I own this one, and a Summit Press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14066278_10153707836491922_5551164316126887338_o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	263413

Boolit Master
    This is my first Jr. press. When I disassembled it I did not know what the washer was for. Just cleaned everything and put it back together. Found out what it was for in this thread.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12