RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 32-44 S&W New Model 3 Target loads

32-44 S&W New Model 3 Target loads

Had a customer bring me a circa 1887-1910 S&W New Model 3 Target (Single Action, Top break) revolver to investigate for him. By the s/n (and number made) I am guessing it dates to 1903-1906. I found a lot of good info on the S&W forum about the revolver, but what they couldn't tell me was how it was loaded. I do know that the boolit and powder was completely encased in the cartridge with the tip of the boolit even with the top of the case. It was a BP target round so probably not real powerful. The S&W boys did say that no other cartridge should be shot through that revolver.

Getting started in researching the 32-44 round aso figured this would probably be the best place to start.

Can anyone give me some insight/direction to find out any particulars about this cartridge?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

One thing you can tell him and that is it has some value
    https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/s...volver-ah4646/

Kurt

This post got my curiosity. I'm a fan of the S&W and I never heard of the .32-44 caliber. I did some searching and found a little on this cartridge.
    The original .32-44 ammo. has the bullet loaded in the case flush with the nose of the bullet even with the case mouth. The case is 1 1/32 in. long and .348 in. in diameter. Two types of lead bullets were used, an 83 gr. conical bullet for target shooting and a 50 gr.round ball for gallery shooting. 10 grs. black powder for both loads. Manufacture was discontinued in 1910, so .32-44 rounds are rare and expensive.Attachment 261982

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Had a customer bring me a circa 1887-1910 S&W New Model 3 Target (Single Action, Top break) revolver to investigate for him. By the s/n (and number made) I am guessing it dates to 1903-1906. I found a lot of good info on the S&W forum about the revolver, but what they couldn't tell me was how it was loaded. I do know that the boolit and powder was completely encased in the cartridge with the tip of the boolit even with the top of the case. It was a BP target round so probably not real powerful. The S&W boys did say that no other cartridge should be shot through that revolver.

Getting started in researching the 32-44 round aso figured this would probably be the best place to start.

Can anyone give me some insight/direction to find out any particulars about this cartridge?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Look in to the Cylinder to see if it is 'stepped'.

Can you post some images of the Revolver for us? and an image looking in to the Cylinder at the rear?

.32 - 44 Cartridge was/is about 1-1/32nd inch OAL for the Brass. Bullets could be held out or be all in the Case, depending on shooter's preferences, 'Gallery' Rounds were usually a Ball set fully in side the case.

.320 Revolving Rifle Cartridge was/is full ( .44 Russian Cylinder length ) Cylinder Length...the Cartridge Case being about 1-19/32nds of an inch OAL.

It is possible some New Model 3 Target Revolvers may have been chambered for the erstwhile .320 RR Cartridge, in which case, there would be no 'step' in the Cylinder.

Otherwise there should be a 'step', like this -

Hosted on Fotki

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The 32-44 is an obsolete caliber:
    * There are no cases being made for the caliber
    * Only option: buy some 32-20 Winchester brass which is the parent case for conversion:
    *** Reduce rim diameter to 0.41
    ** Trim case to 0.98
    Starline sells 32-20 brass
    Option: Call Roberson Cartridge Co and have them make the brass for you
    Bullet diameter 0.321
    Reloads using round balls ... https://www.buffaloarms.com/321-diam...mould-sae61173
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32_S_W_RR-466x263.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	261987
    Last edited by John Boy; 05-11-2020 at 10:23 PM.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    The 32-44 is an obsolete caliber:
    * There are no cases being made for the caliber
    * Only option: buy some 32-20 Winchester brass which is the parent case for conversion:
    *** Reduce rim diameter to 0.41
    ** Trim case to 0.98
    Starline sells 32-20 brass
    Option: Call Roberson Cartridge Co and have them make the brass for you
    Bullet diameter 0.321
    Reloads using round balls ... https://www.buffaloarms.com/321-diam...mould-sae61173
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32_S_W_RR-466x263.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	261987
    Cylinder Chambers in mine are .347 now that I check again better, I had thought them to be .346 originally but my inside mike seems to loose about 1/1000th with this, compared to the outside measure, so, since a .347 diameter Cartridge fits perfectly, I have decided my chambers are .347...Cylinder Bores, .323...Barrel Groove to Groove, .323.

The .32-20 Brass ( .347 at the very base - .40 Rim ) I have, fits perfectly other than for being too long and too narrow at the mouth...but Base of Cartridge Body at the Rim, is a perfect fit.

The .230 RR Cartridges I have, would fit perfectly other than for being too long, and their body is .347, and their Rims, .410.

.32-20 Cases would need to be shortened of course, and expanded a little...( which is what I plan to be doing soon, for loading up a few Boxes of Cartridges, for mine...)

Odd such a small Cartridge with so little power would have been such a contender for 50 Yard and 50 Meter Target events..!

But, I guess once one knows the drop for that distance, and or has one's sights set for it, all is golden..!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 05-12-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Lead pot - This gun has been modified sometime in the past (barrel shortened and new front sight put on) so the value isn't going to be near what an original will bring. Also, thanks for the input about the loading of 10grs of BP

John Boy - thanks for the info about how to get brass or make it.

Oyeboyen - thanks for the additional info

If you are interested in seeing pictures/narrative/comments of it you can go here: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-ant...n-mod-3-a.html
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

I'll be loading for mine soon, and I will write a little missive with pictures about it, and post a little thread.

My example weighs 2.82 Pounds, which is a little on the heavy side, especially for so small a Cartridge...and for 'one hand' Slow Fire.

Longest Barrel S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector in .455, weighs 2.29 Pounds.

I see no need for a Crimp for the .32 - 44 Cartridge, ( nor does it seem anyone else did, back when ) as recoil is not going to be enough to occasion Bullet creep, especially if I have normal neck Tension.

I'll be making my Cartridges from .32 - 20 Brass.