MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is it me or do you guys get it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    The club I am a member is an outdoor range. I went out there Saturday morning with the idea of testing some ladder loads with
    a NOE 310-167-FN-AK3 using a starting load of 23.0 gr of RL-7. I had 10 rounds ea. of loads in .5 gr increments up 25.0 gr.
    I get out there and it is covered up and after finding an empty bench and getting set up the talkers come calling. Most of the guys I talked with
    were reloaders shooting jacketed bullets of various makers. Then these guys find out I am shooting cast and that I cast my own, they look at you like
    you are a freak of nature. Then the comments start with: Why would you even do that? or I wouldn't even consider even trying that.
    Isn't that dangerous? And it goes on from there. It just got me to thinking, Am I the only one that gets these stares and comments?
    I just find it interesting that most people are scared of casting your own.
    lots of morons are allowed to own firearms.,,,i get that stupidity all the time.

Boy people seem to like that KG12, which is very expensive. It says water based and non-ammonia. The water based part is stupid, because amonia is aqueous solution, too. Can't seem to find out basically what it is, which I don't like, as I have no idea of how toxic it is. It is almost certainly a kind of Lewis base that is cheap and not terribly toxic, though it is almost certainly more expensive and toxic than ammonia.

Boolit Master

Where I shot action pistol in Louisiana almost all of the revolver, Single Stack, Limited and Open Class shooters loaded their own. The Production Class shooters were virtually 100% 9mm so not much reason to reload. Two of many of us were casters. The other one besides myself was a commercial caster that supplied most of the reloaders that used boolits.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Boy people seem to like that KG12, which is very expensive. It says water based and non-ammonia. The water based part is stupid, because amonia is aqueous solution, too. Can't seem to find out basically what it is, which I don't like, as I have no idea of how toxic it is. It is almost certainly a kind of Lewis base that is cheap and not terribly toxic, though it is almost certainly more expensive and toxic than ammonia.
    It may be expensive, but, to me it is worth every penny. Toxic? Probably. But, also might be better than breathing ammonia fumes.

Boolit Master
    Not many at my range seem to cast. Lots of the old guys did, especially when they competed years ago. But they have either stopped casting or just passed on.
    I have gotten lead from some, others are still holding on to it just in case. Not a bad plan to be prepared and their kids can deal with it some day.

I do occasionally run into another reloader, but not often. And occasionally a couple of casters. Then again I try not to shoot if other people are there unless I know them to be safe. Too many idiots take the fun out of shooting.

There must be a few casters left, I am not the only one who mines the pistol berm.
    Ran into one old couple a few years ago, I got excited when they showed up and strapped on old west rigs. Turns out they used to travel the country shooting Cowboy Action. He had the cutest boolit I have ever seen, from a milled down wadcutter mold, much shorter than it was wide. Talk about no recoil.
    Given the skill and safety of many shooters, it might be a good thing most don’t cast or reload.
    We have had more than a few guns blown up over the years.

But I have never had anyone talk down my shooting of cast boolits down much, even if they had bad experiences of their own.
    Then again I don’t suffer fools well and can lack a filter, so they would probably shut up or move on quick.
    Plus I can always turn off the volume on the muffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345