Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or do you guys get it?

Boolit Bub
    (Now-Former) boss of mine was asking where he could get some round balls for his cap & ball revolver, since nobody local seems to have any in stock. Next day I showed up with some at work. He asked where I got them, and then the casting talk started. He had no idea how easy it is. Now with all this virus BS and panic buying, he can't find 9 mm, but had some cast his woman accidentally bought (thought they were loaded rounds). He's getting a reloading education now too. I'm trying to piece together my spare press for him.

Then he tells me, the place he works now has buckets of old wheel weights stacked in the corner, because they can't get rid of them...

Boolit Grand Master

Reloaders are a very small subset of gun owners. Casters are a minuscule subset of that subset. And ignorance abounds in the gun “community” which is quite sad.

In my area most reloaders only want to talk if it’s about the stuff they’re interested in. Had one individual, who’s a NRA instructor, tell me I couldn’t load safe ammo w/ Lee equipment. He only drinks the Blue KoolAid. He also told me cast bullets destroy guns and should never be used. This is the ignorance I was talking about.

I’ve given up trying to talk to people about reloading. I don’t bother talking about casting at all. I’ve given up talking to almost any gun owner. They don’t see the big picture. And very few have interests outside of what they’re shooting. I like every type of firearm and like being educated on something I’m unfamiliar with. If it’s not a Glock, AR or some bolt action chambered for the current fad cartridge people aren’t shooting it around here. So there’s nothing I can learn from them and they aren’t interested in what I’m shooting.

Boolit Master

Oh, the looks/questions/comments I get when I shoot my Sharps replica .45-70 at the 200 yd gong. Comments usually cease after it rings loudly. Yes, they can't believe I cast my own bullets. And hit something. And the deer I kill with cast bullets. In the Cowboy Action Shooting group more cast, but still only one or two out of ten. All do reload.

Boolit Master
    our club has lots of non reloaders. great for the rest of us as they give their brass away.very few caster here and yes they think im a bit odd shooting cast.but then ive alway been out of step with most people.

If you are shooting cast in rifle caliber get some soft steel plates 3/8” to 1/2” and put out and proceed to put holes in them. Most guys dont think lead can penetrate steel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    After I bought my place, my only need for a public range was to shoot trap or sporting clays.

I do not like public ranges for pistol or rifle shooting. Too many fools.

Feel sorry for those of you that have no choice....be safe....
    Look around on the interstate and streets...too many fools ...but where else are you going to drive .

I was talking to my Doctor about all the different things in the world that could kill a person... insects , snakes , spiders , bacteria , virus , plagues , malaria , enfluenza , covid 19 , ...all the illnesses one can contract and he tells me I stand my best chance of dying on the highway at the hands of a distracted or drunk driver ... and you know what ... I think he's right !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-12-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    our club has lots of non reloaders. great for the rest of us as they give their brass away.very few caster here and yes they think im a bit odd shooting cast.but then ive alway been out of step with most people.
    At both of the clubs I'm a member at, any brass that is not snagged by a reloader goes to the scrap metal business for cash. At the one club that I do the recycling, I've put several THOUSAND dollars back into the club to pay for upkeep/improvements.

I've got 60-70 lbs of brass that is going to the recycler tomorrow. They just opened back up after being put on house arrest for the last 2 months.

If they don't want to reload it's fine with me, I like the fact they are helping to support the club indirectly.

Boolit Bub
    I was shooting the 200 yard gong at the local range which sits catty-cornered and you can't see it from where you shoot the 100 yard berm. So, I set up and the guys on the 100 yard are like looking at me like "what is this guy doing". I'm out with my 223 (bolt gun) and my coyote loads. I start popping the gong. about 8 rounds in, one of them comes over and starts asking all kinds of questions. "What are you shooting? How far is that? Can you hit it with a 22? want to see my rifle?" I don't know this guy and I'm not going to shoot distracted so I unload the rifle and drop the ammo back into my box, leave the bolt open and get up from the bench. Turns out he reloads several of the same cartridges I do and proceeded to tell me that the load I have worked up for my 243 (1/3 moa with hunting bullets btw) is wrong and I need to change powders... It seemed like an hour before he finally figured out I was done with the conversation. He decides to spice the conversation up by bringing his rifle over and trying to hit the 200 yard gong iron sighted and off hand despite me waiting for him to leave so I can shoot. When he got back to shoot, I was packing my gear. He shot and missed and then left. I got my gear back out and by then the sun had shifted and I couldn't see the gongs very well so I had to go paint them. Got back from painting and shot about 10 times before the shotgun crew rolled in. The way the range is situated, we don't shoot 200 if the gunners are out. Courtesy thing. I broke out the 28 and shot with the "old guys". If you can't beat them, join them I guess.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Boolit Master

I must be an exception. At my club, a good 70% reload rifle, pistol and shotgun. About 1/3 of those reload cast. Most of the exceptions are the .22 RF shooters. Often times, conversation at the skeet house, between relays, is about casting and loading cast bullets! The less experienced guys just sit there taking notes and asking question!

I'm my experience there is a heaping helping of status display peacockery with cast bullet condescension and some millitary ignorance. Some guys show off the fact they can blow away 50 or more cents per shot, basically. And since the millitary went to all jacketed like 120 years ago the assumption is because it is better. My own father, a tank commander and helicopter pilot at different times, was deeply suspicious of anything "reloaded" let alone made with hand cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    ...He also told me cast bullets destroy guns and should never be used...
    What does he think they used before the invention of ******** *******? The Romans used cast lead boolits in their slings, for crying out loud! In a mold that had the Latin work for "Strike!" engraved in it, in at least one instance. Santayana was right.

Boolit Master

I'm confined these days to a local indoor range. Never seen another Caster there. only 1 or 2 Reloaders.
    Most are younger people that put a target at 7yds and spray and pray, 3-4 S-A's, 2-3 magazines then switch guns, almost all are 9mmLuger.
    I send My target out to 50ft and shoot one-handed. Can't see or shoot well anymore, but keep all shots in the black of a 50ft rapid fire target. Range lighting has STUNK since it opened 35yrs ago.
    People look at Me strange because I pick up my brass too.
    Now some have started to ask about blue, red, green bullets. I try to explain about PC, I get looked at like I was speaking Swahilli. Some seem to think I do a good job "masking off" the brass cases so as not to get paint on the brass when I paint the bullets.
    Like trying to explain ice to a Bushman.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    “That paint is going to ruin your rifling.”

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had a few scoff at my boolits, till I show them the target I just shot. Smaller group than they shot. They get quiet quickly and go back to their bench.

Boolit Master

You wouldn't believe the reactions when I torch off a 1 1/8 oz slug at 1500 fps from a 12 ga.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I get some strange looks when I lay out rifles that are 100 yrs. old then powder coated cast . had some ask if they still work. 600 yards gong shuts them up though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    I get some strange looks when I lay out rifles that are 100 yrs. old then powder coated cast . had some ask if they still work. 600 yards gong shuts them up though.
    That has got to be fun.

Was checking my scope setting just before deer season. Had my Savage 110 lh that I rebarreled to 450 marlin. Being from Mi I played the 1.8 game and trimmed some cases to 1.8 and loaded them with a 500 gr rn cast but at full OAL. The guy next bench was shooting a AR10 308 6-18 x50 scope. We where shooting 200Yds and he has been bragging how well his rifle shot. He was going to school the 12”gong. Shoots twice and missed. Ask if I will spot his hits. Shoots 18 more 3 hit. Offers to spot my shots and I agree told him watch the 8“ gong. First round ever at 200 hold center plate. Just off the plate 6 o’clock. Hold top of plate top of plate hit the next 5 the last shot the plate swings up and lands on the cross member or the hanger and lays there. He loaded his stuff and never said a word.

It is a scientific fact that the more your gun costs and the more stuff you have on it the better you shoot and the better person you are.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    A few comments on powder coat cast mostly the kryptonite green ones.
    Had one gent ask about the "factory" ammo I had told him it was a reloads,didn't believe me till a buddy said yep all reloaded ammo. He was quite amazed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast