RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or do you guys get it?

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split

Is it me or do you guys get it?

The club I am a member is an outdoor range. I went out there Saturday morning with the idea of testing some ladder loads with
    a NOE 310-167-FN-AK3 using a starting load of 23.0 gr of RL-7. I had 10 rounds ea. of loads in .5 gr increments up 25.0 gr.
    I get out there and it is covered up and after finding an empty bench and getting set up the talkers come calling. Most of the guys I talked with
    were reloaders shooting jacketed bullets of various makers. Then these guys find out I am shooting cast and that I cast my own, they look at you like
    you are a freak of nature. Then the comments start with: Why would you even do that? or I wouldn't even consider even trying that.
    Isn't that dangerous? And it goes on from there. It just got me to thinking, Am I the only one that gets these stares and comments?
    I just find it interesting that most people are scared of casting your own.

Banned
    I always find people interested in how to do it as opposed to any opposition to it. Casting bullets is archaic to most, but is the wave of the future for the knowing.

Boolit Master
    Most that are interested cant believe you can make boolits out of wheel weights.

Boolit Buddy
    ?....Casting bullets is archaic to most, but is the wave of the future for the knowing.
    I assume that “the knowing” are exclusively those who do not or will not be shooting in states which prohibit lead bullets...

Boolit Master

you should see the looks I get when I tell them and show them my swagged boolits, most dont even believe me even with the proof right in front of them.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I have had the " I would not put that in My rifle" look or comment. Sometimes it is followed by "can you make me some" when I say it costs $.06 a shot to which I add the comment " not including labor" . Sometimes they just walk away shaking their head. Once I shot the neighboring shooters pop can on the bank because he couldn't hit it and I wanted to put it out of its misery, He was scaring it pretty bad. I have my fun and don't usually bother others but can be coaxed into conversing once in a while if it doesn't seem pointless.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned
    Ignorance is one thing. Willful ignorance is something totally different.

Most of the skepticism I receive concerning cast bullets comes from people that only know what others have told them. If thier "teachers" had no real knowledge then their "students" will have little knowledge. This is where the willfully ignorant part comes in. iI you are unwilling to take some responsibility for your own education, you will be stuck with whatever knowledge your teacher imparted to you. If your teacher was misinformed - you will be misinformed. If your take some responsibility for your own knowledge, you have a much better chance of expanding your knowledge.

I'm a social butterfly.
    I talk to everybody.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure I grew up shooting cast boolits, for certain after age 6. Dad was trying (and often failing miserably) to support two families, and still shoot. Casting and reloading were part and parcel of making it work even as poorly as it did. It's also one of the things we did for fun at Dad's house. And that was a blast! In more ways than one.

So I can't tell you if "I get it" the way you're asking. I just don't see any real way to do otherwise. BUY boolits, or those silly copper-coated things? Only to get more reloadable brass!

Boolit Master
    I enjoy talking to folks at the range. Very few reload and I've only met a couple of casters but everybody seems interested in the topic.

Boolit Master

Our club has a membership of 250 - in accordance with by our by-laws - and, as one of the 'old guys' (member since 1982) I'm at least acquainted with everyone I who would consider a 'serious' shooter. Off the top of my head, I can currently think of less than 20 who reload and just a half-dozen who cast...and I've got to count two or three 'front-stuffers' to get that many.

Last time someone told me that you can't shoot cast in a center-rifle, I just smiled, pointed downrange, and continued breaking the clay pigeons that I'd tossed up on the 200-yard berm.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

If you want people to look at you as though you had two heads:
    Take a target out to 50 yards
    Shoot at it with a pistol with cast bullets
    And use one hand

Most of the shooters on the range I infest do not reload. Of those that do reload very few shoot cast. Of those that shoot cast, the majority buy their boolits.
    I haven't started casting for rifle yet on a serious level.
    Most of the people who find out about my casting are handgun shooters. They seem to be impressed that a normal(??) person can cast a boolit well enough to match the accuracy of purchased boolits.

Boolit Master

I went out with a buddy from N CA who was working up lead free loads for deer season. As luck would have it, another friend shows up to sight in his factory lead free 308 W rounds. Me, I wasn't planning to hunt so I didn't bother with a license. I did however bring a 308 bolt gun with PCd cast loads.

I had made a mix of PC powder that came out just like FMJ. My second buddy couldn't tell even after I told him it was home grown. I told him 'you should start using that fancy reloading gear your wife bought you 5 years ago.' We all used to work together. Anyway, I shot my 10 cent a round boolits while he shot his OMG expensive factory rounds. Other buddy went on about how his Hornady lead free reloads were only about 30 cents. I hope he has finally unboxed his reloading gear. I doubt he will become a caster but I would surely teach him how.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    If you want people to look at you as though you had two heads:
    Take a target out to 50 yards
    Shoot at it with a pistol with cast bullets
    And use one hand
    he heh!.....ain't it the truth

I was at the range today and the rangemaster/owner was there, and we always visit a little.

He watched me awhile, and commented that my heavy barrel Rem700, was quiet, and asked if it was a .223.
    I told him it was my old .30-06, I was testing out 'the load' with cast Lead 190s, and showed him one.
    I get to shoot a lot, at about the expense of buying premium .22LR or CCI Stingers.

He looked at it, nodded, and said, "Cool".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I was at the range today and the rangemaster/owner was there, and we always visit a little.

He watched me awhile, and commented that my heavy barrel Rem700, was quiet, and asked if it was a .223.
    I told him it was my old .30-06, I was testing out 'the load' with cast Lead 190s, and showed him one.
    I get to shoot a lot, at about the expense of buying premium .22LR or CCI Stingers.

He looked at it, nodded, and said, "Cool".
    Texan response

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The nay-sayers will tell me there is no way cast is accurate or useful, then I show them the photos of my successful hunts. Shuts them up good.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

it's like when the guy has his hand assembled ar-platform with a collection of uppers to run through.

guys come over and start mouthing at him that he's a dumb mall ninja and if he was a real hunter/shooter/person, he'd shoot this here stick with a rock tied to it while wearing a dead racoon on his head.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    I don't go to public ranges much but in the occasional moment that I have it's usually with someone else. I'm the annoying guy who walks around picking up brass that most people throw away. Most people look suspicious or surprised not knowing that it's reloadable. Occasionally I'll run into somebody else who reloads but not many as I used too. Throwing away good brass goes against my hillbilly upbringing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast