WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Kimber =$$$

Boolit Master

Kimber =$$$

It is a given that Kimbers are not cheap guns, but to be fair the price probably reflects quality and reputation. On the other hand I wonder about some of their charges. Bought a used conversion kit for a 1911 and invested in a RIA 45 to get a dedicated frame. Took some fitting as the frame was slightly larger than the slide, but given the stay at home climate fitting it was a pleasant task that helped get through another day. Got it working with HV ammo and even Fed Auto Match. Was just about done on the range when the pistol failed to feed. Cleared the jammed round and again failed to feed. Discovered the cause was the firing pin had not retracted and upon a closer look realized the firing pin stop had slid up and the hole for the firing pin was no longer aligned and the stop was holding the firing pin forward. Cleared it and it immediately did the same thing, went through the clear and jam again routine several time before giving up.

Got home and discovered that the firing pin stop would not come out of the slide like it does in a CF 1911. Checked the Kimber web site and reviewed a Pdf of the instruction manual, but no help. In the Pdf it also listed replacement of the recoil spring and firing pin spring 10,000 rounds. Have run better than 1K through it and I am at least the third owner so figured might be good plan to replace both. Called Kimber to ask what the secret was to remove the firing pin stop and order springs, only to find that the firing pin spring is a factory install, apparently special procedures to remove it.

Now the $$ part. Shipping on my dime is cheap, SFRB and insurance @ $10. Labor $35, return shipping $15, recoil spring $7.50 and firing pin spring $2.50. Total $70 for two springs. Yikes!

Boolit Master

bought my wife a kimber in 9mm for cc. what a pita to disassemble and clean, not a very big kimber fan anymore.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I think Kimber was a good value for the money 5 or so years ago. Back then they were an upper-entry level 1911 that didn’t break the bank; plus they shot & fit well. Now there are so many foreign 1911s available for $500 and less while Kimber is approaching semi-custom prices. Truthfully I don’t believe the new Kimbers are as well made as the older ones. Certainly not worth a thousand bucks or more, but that’s just my opinion.
    I think the manufacturers look at it like “ hey, if the Turks can get $500 for a 1911, ours should sell for at least a thousand because its a brand name”.

Boolit Master
    I have two Kimber 1911s from at least a decade ago: a full-size and a Commander size. The only complaints I've had were thumb safeties that a thumb break holster would rub off-safe, and "spongy" triggers. Last winter, I finally took them to a gunsmith and he fixed the safeties either by drilling the holes the spring plunger engaged a little deeper or installed a stronger spring, and replacing the sear with one from Wilson Combat ($130/gun). Now I have zero complaints.

Boolit Master

The Series 1 Kimberling are the standard that made the brand. Now it is mass production and a media advertising blitz. How many Kimbers are used by public agencies and the military?

Series 1 Kimberling are collectable and hold their value.

I would agree that it seems Kimber is reaching mighty deep into your pocket for the fix on your .22 conversion.

As far as Kimber goes in general, the folks complaining about poor quality because a crummy hollster will rub the thumb safety off safe have their priorities crossed. When I buy a holster, the holster must fit the gun; I don't buy guns to fit poorly designed holsters.

Kimber has gotten expensive because they are putting the bells and whistles on the pistol that some people want such as long/ambidextrous safeties, extended mag release, goofy beavertail grip safety and one piece recoil spring guide rods. None of this stuff makes the gun shoot better and causes the price to go up.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    I can't speak for the current crop of Kimber's but I owned a couple of the older ones and they were top notch.
    In fact, I had a Commander length Kimber that shot as well as a Les Baer, much to the chagrin of the Les Baer owner.

20+ years ago the Kimber was one of the best values for the money for an out of the box 1911.
    10+ years ago they were holding their own but the prices were climbing faster than inflation.

The market has changed considerably and Kimber may be banking a bit on their name these days.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several kimbers, besides price my only complaint is the finish. In less than a year, finish looked 10-15. I've carried my Sig 1911 just as much in the same holsters and it still looks brand spanking new when cleaned, just as tight, easy to clean and cost 400 less. OTOH, every gun I own could be improved somehow by adding/changing something.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Micro .380 and Micro 9 are good values, they actually cost less than the competition. The others are overpriced for what they are.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Did Kimber change their 22 conversion kits???

Last I knew they were re-branded ceiner kits.

Boolit Master
    Mine is not a Ceiner. It doesn't hold the slide open after the magazine is empty, but I have no other complaints. It is better than plinking accurate, easy to install/remove, and has been reliable.

Boolit Master

I've had a full size Kimber for about 20 years. Except for a problem that I caused, it has been fully reliable. That description may be somewhat suspect since I don't shoot it all that often. I have 2 other sort of 1911's, Para Ordinance, that I've had for about 25 years. These were made when the company was still in Canada. I enjoy shooting them but not carrying. All that extra ammo makes them pretty heavy for me.

I've been tempted over the years to get another Kimber, but always held off. Finally decided to get a Dan Wesson. Haven't regretted it at all.

Based on what I read here, I think I'll keep the one I have and when I get the itch again, look elsewhere.
    John
    W.TN

Super Moderator

I have one of the original made in Clackamas, Oregon "Classic Model/Custom 45 ACP". I got it when Kimber first introduced their 1911's. It has been a very accurate and reliable pistol. Having said that, I purchased a Kimber 1911/22 conversion kit for it, and was sorely disappointed. Accuracy with it was dismal (by my standards), and I ended up trading it off. I'm not sure if I just got a lemon or not. I eventually bought one of the Marvel 1911 conversions, and have been very pleased with the fine accuracy of that unit. It's a lot more $$$ though, but well worth it in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    I've owned two Kimbers; one a compact 1911 that wouldn't function correctly, and a .22 bolt gun. I sold the 1911 and never looked back. Besides it's refusal to function (despite much troubleshooting), it had several plastic parts. I felt that for the price of the thing, it should be all steel - or at best, steel and aluminum. Not plastic. The .22 was their Hunter Silhouette model, that I traded for. I could not locate a scope mount for it anywhere, so I called Kimber. Oh, that's a proprietary part; not an inexpensive one, either. Once I got it scoped, it shot like a shotgun with all of the ammo that I tried. I sold it, also, with full disclosure. The fellow that I sold it to sent it to Kimber, and they rebarreled it on their dime. He reported that it shot adequately for him with the new barrel. Granted, that represents a sample size of one for each model gun, but those experiences soured me on Kimber anything.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    A compact 1911 is often asking for reliability trouble.

If in the market for a 22LR. conversion kit for your 1911, you might want to look at the kit provided by "Advantage Arms". I have had one of their kits for several years now and I am very satisfied with it. You will need to use high velocity ammo for reliable function and I like the feature found on Advantage Arms conversion that locks the side open on the last shot just as your 45 acp does. Some kits do not have this feature.

Banned

ive had probably 20 kimbers through the years and have yet to have a bad one. Even the external extractor commander I have that everyone sent back to replace the slide with an internal extractor design because of troubles had run so well that I didn't dare change a thing. Then ive owned a gold match that was hands down the most accurate 45acp ive ever owned and 3 cdps that in my opinion compare to guns that cost twice as much. Yup you get Kimber haters. Just like you get rem 700 haters. Guys that think there looking guy savoy when they bash the top dog. All I know is if I had 800 dollars or more to buy a 1911 it would be a Kimber hands down over a colt or springfield and if I didn't have 800 dollars to buy a 1911 id buy a glock because what can you really expect out of a 1911 that costs half what an entry level Kimber colt or springfield costs. yup you can get a good one. Heck ive shot some good ones. But its pot luck and for every exceptionally good one you find your going to find two exceptionally bad ones. What I find in the 4-500 dollar range is you usually get a gun that shoots but doesn't run or one that runs but is minute of barn door. At least my 500 dollar glock would guarantee that it will run and run better then a 1500 dollar 1911. Don't get me wrong I love 1911s but there finicky girls at best when compared to a glock or sig. As to small ones running reliable again ill go to the don't buy 200 dollar guns. I had a 3 inch cdp 45 that ran like a top and one of the pros with a commander slide and officers grip frame that ran like a top too. Also had a officers sized entry level springfield GI that was a nightmare!

Boolit Master
    The kit is quite accurate, no issues with that. In fact was at Bud's in Lexington Ky and picked up a RIA Tactical model and fitted the kit to the frame as a dedicated lower and had gotten the bugs out when the issue with the firing pin stop cropped up. Just very surprised at the fact that replacing the firing pin spring required return to the factory and what I consider a significant charge. The slide could definitely use a refinish, but after they told me what they charged for the spring job didn't have the courage to ask how much a refinish might be. They were supposed to e-mail me a return number in a few minutes, that was Monday PM and it hasn't shown up yet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I've owned two Kimbers; one a compact 1911 that wouldn't function correctly, and a .22 bolt gun. I sold the 1911 and never looked back. Besides it's refusal to function (despite much troubleshooting), it had several plastic parts. I felt that for the price of the thing, it should be all steel - or at best, steel and aluminum. Not plastic. The .22 was their Hunter Silhouette model, that I traded for. I could not locate a scope mount for it anywhere, so I called Kimber. Oh, that's a proprietary part; not an inexpensive one, either. Once I got it scoped, it shot like a shotgun with all of the ammo that I tried. I sold it, also, with full disclosure. The fellow that I sold it to sent it to Kimber, and they rebarreled it on their dime. He reported that it shot adequately for him with the new barrel. Granted, that represents a sample size of one for each model gun, but those experiences soured me on Kimber anything.

I pointed that out to a gunshop worker years ago when he was hawking a $1000 Kimber to me and a few other folks around me. I simply stated that for the money, I would expect a metal mainspring housing. He got irate and confirmed that the mainspring housing was indeed metal, and I told him he better look again. I then suggested that it may be "space age polymer" and he got even more mad....

I have shot a Kimbers through the years. They shoot well. I'm not a fan of the cost, nor the CS that they are known for.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My BIL is a real expert on 1911's, he says that in his experience a Kimber is the most accurate 1911 in its price range on average. He also emphasizes that he uses them only on the range, for carry he goes with Colt or Springfield.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.