MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RV shopping. Madness.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't do it. Being debt free has been the most comforting thing for me these past couple months. I can turn off the lights and cut my power bill, but a RV that isn't used still needs the payment made if you finance it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    ...... But with my work schedule, I barely even have time to mow the lawn, much less build an RV.

Then you will barely have time to USE a RV as well.

$13K plus, interest, tax, tags, insurance, maintenance and repairs is a lot of money for something that sits in the yard 98% of the time and depreciates constantly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Then you will barely have time to USE a RV as well.

$13K plus, interest, tax, tags, insurance, maintenance and repairs is a lot of money for something that sits in the yard 98% of the time and deprecates constantly.
    Good point.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a 5th wheel. It was a nightmare.

Was stranded at the Ohio State shoot with slides that would not retract. Called the factory and they would not help. Told me they would only talk to a repair tech. Told then I was an engineer and could deal with most mechanical/electrical stuff. Refused to help. DO NOT BUY A KEYSTONE PRODUCT

It was at the dealer 6 times for the fridge alone.

You will regret getting it. I had mine for six years, and lost $20k. It was not a cheap unit. They are all built like crap.

If you must get one, buy a good cargo trailer and build your own. Keep it simple.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Drove the 80 miles or so one way to check out the RV.

It was absolute garbage.

The leveling jacks were rusted, the shower surround was peeling off, several places the wallpaper was bubbling up, a clearance light was broken, and it was just a cheap feeling overall piece of garbage.

The one next to it was much, much nicer and the same size and basic layout, but was $10k more. The salesman explained that the one on sale was an "entry" model. So $13k just buy's junk??
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

My 2 cents

I have owned 4 different motorhomes at different times.

1 class A
    2 pull trailers
    1 5th wheel
    And now I'm on my class c.

Rule 1 Do not buy new.
    Rule 2. Do NOT buy from a dealer
    If your break rules 1 and 2

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT BUY A EXTENDED WARRANTY. they will not honor it.

Do not pay for any hidden bull fees. Such as
    Prep fee
    Check out fee
    Shipping/ transport fee.
    Title transfer fee.

The dealership wants you to pay for shipping? And them making sure it works before they give it to you? Really ***?

Title transfer fee ? Nooo thank you.

Paperwork fees? Not a chance.

Every RV will have its quirks.
    Let someone else take the hit figuring them out.

I may have missed it but are you town camping vist kids?

Or camping camping?

When your are outdoor camping my wife states it's a portable toilet that has a nice bed. That has enough storage to to clamping. And she will not go camping without those things.

If you are doing city camping. RV resorts will have showers houses. Laundry facilities etc. What you pack is completely different.

It should be a comfortable retreat.

Plan on buying a real mattress. Keep that In mind when looking. If it's a odd ball master bed you will probly not like it.

Last thing THIS is your money your spending tell any dealer to shove it if they get pushy with you.

/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

^^^ good points I would add look for one that was stored in a building. That’s the best you can get when I comes to not being destroyed by the elements.

Boolit Master

Decided to hold off for a while.

If something used comes along that is perfect and a good deal that I can pay cash for, then I'll go that route.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I found an older 17' Fleetwood Prowler last summer for under 4 grand. It was at a local "Park and Sell", so I had a good opportunity to look at it inside out, upside and down before even contacting the owner. I've done minor work on it, and it looks like new now. No way would I pay more for something that offers the same things all the expensive ones have.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I have always bought used camping trailers, started with a 21' 75 Coachman many years ago (early 90s), then a 17.5' 86 Sunline unit to fill a gap that a divorce took. Next was a 25' 95 Sunline used for 11 years. Now we are starting our 4th season on our current 31' RLDS 08 Keystone Hornet. First thing I look at is the Bathroom for is it roomy enough! I would never borrowed money to buy a unit. I do not camp in camp grounds period. I do fly RC airplanes and our camper goes to many flying events each year. No hookups, so we use Generators. Yes I carry two, a 1000 watt Yamaha for general charging and stuff and a 4000 watt Champion for AC, that stays in the back of my first gen diesel Dodge D350 . Campers are a require regular maintenance and I do all my own. Roof condition is always primary. a water leak will destroy the limited structure of a unit real fast. Keep them sealed and dry and they can last a long time.

I suggest tandem wheel on whatever you decide on, they tend to tow straighter and with a less substantial tow vehicle.

WWG1WGA,
    Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master

Look at this in the context of your complete financial situation. Do you have adequate retirement funds? Have you any idea what 'adequate' is? Do you have your house paid off or do you still have payments? You are far better off putting that extra money in the house, simply because every penny over your monthly house payment goes directly to principle. That means you get to screw the bank out of the interest they expect. We paid our last 15 year mortgage off in 9 years. The bank got only a little bit more than half of the interest they expected.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I look at RV's like boats. If you aren't planning to use them a couple times a month, they are a money pit. Boats, RVs, and aircraft are a lifestyle - if you aren't using them regularly you're better off to rent, or make due with something else. I'm surrounded by neighbors who have boats and RVs that haven't moved in years. I've got one neighbor who uses his beautiful 5th wheel twice a year, Memorial Day and Labor Day. I love being out on the water, but the reality is that I know I wouldn't be out more than once or twice a month. As it is now, I have friends with a boat and they love having company. In my opinion, having an RV to use it only a few times a year is not money well spent. On the other hand, once you get out there a few times, you and your girlfriend may really take a liking to it and end up doing it more often than you think. I'd say your best be is to rent an RV a couple times and see how it goes. Renting will also give you the chance to try out a couple different brands/models and see what features you love and which ones could live without.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting enclosed trailer conversions on you tube. And there are some either fully or partially done ones that are for sale. MY suggestion is one that has a front (side) door and a rear door. I like the one that has a drop down ramp door that can be configured as a "patio". I have seen used 'rental' trucks that were 'converted' to RV's. Lots of options out there and having worked in a trailer mfg. plant, and lived in one for several years I would never buy a pre-built! They never have what I like but they do have lots of filler stuff.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I've only owned one RV in my life. That was 20 years ago and I can't even remember the brand, but definitely an older model. I bought it used on the cheap. It served it's purpose for my needs for a few years, deer season's. Other than that, one trip to the local state park for a weekend retreat. It could have driven back and forth to the state park, it's only 25 miles. But to each their own and everyone dreams. My deer hunting all took place about 55 miles from my house. Typically, a 11-12 day stay. It sure was nice when the rains rolled in not being in a tent. Along about 10-12 years back, all of my deer hunting (450,000 acres) went lease hunting only. A major game changer and I bid farewell to an old friend. I guess it all depends on ones real need for one. There are a good deal of used RV's (campers) in my area. Most were bought for deer seasons. They spend probably 11 months out of the year just sitting out next to the house. It doesn't take long for some to realize their investment vs their return isn't working out all that well. Good luck on your search.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't understand the appeal of RVs and campers.

Several of my neighbors have these monstrosities. Once or twice a year, they'll haul them over from the storage lot and spend a week screwing around prepping and fixing. Then they load up half their house and disappear for 2 days. When they come back, they cart all their crap back into the house and spend another couple days screwing around fixing stuff before hauling it back to the storage lot.

And once you get the thing fixed and load half your house into it, you end up at a crowded campground full of other RVs running generators and all that nonsense.

Seems like a colossal waste of time and money to me. Just pack a bag and go tent/car camping. Or rent a hotel. They could book a luxury suite several time a year for a week at a time for just what they spend on the storage lot...Not to mention the payments they make to a depreciating asset.

Anyway, not my thing. If I ever got the urge to do RV stuff, I might just rent one for that once a year trip. Or maybe look into converting a Sprinter van or something. At least with that thing, you could use it as a daily-driver when you're not "camping"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho45guy View Post
    decided to hold off for a while.

If something used comes along that is perfect and a good deal that i can pay cash for, then i'll go that route.

wise decision.

Just thinking about this more. Had a friend that loved to ride horses. He took a 20 ft enclosed horse trailer, would get to destination. Take out horses and stake them. Roll out AstroTurf inside, and make it an open living space. Good option and cheapest

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Just thinking about this more. Had a friend that loved to ride horses. He took a 20 ft enclosed horse trailer, would get to destination. Take out horses and stake them. Roll out AstroTurf inside, and make it an open living space. Good option and cheapest
    Have you ever smelled the inside of an enclosed horse trailer? I grew up on a small ranch and raised horses and been to a few shows. My folks have a nice 6-horse trailer with the tack room up front. It gets power washed between uses and it still stinks on the inside. I can't imagine someone sleeping in one.

Boolit Master

There is a downside to a camping trailor that is self contained. There has to be a storage tank of some type. Think of what goes into it and how you are going to dispose of it. A lot of work with a lot of unpleasant smells. You may use the shower but for the bath we used the path. If your girlfriend will not "ruff it" then there is far more work to pack and unpack all the luxuries of home for the weekend.
    No trailer has a hvac that will compete with your home. So extreme hot or cold weather they are uncomfortable.
    Your food is mostly heat up or microwave which can't compete with homecooked. You can burn your food over a campfire or outside grill. But you can grill at home and you don't need to pack and unpack the grill.
    If you don't have time to mow the grass, how are you going to find time to camp. At when you get home that grass will need mowed. It don't quit growing while you camp.
    I rent a motel close to where I want to be and spend the day in the woods. I head back to the motel and restaurents at night.
    If you and your girlfriend "came to relax" it is a lot more work to camping.
    But it is whatever floats your boat.

Moderator Emeritus

wv109323 - Kinda the same thinking. It sounds like a good thing to do but when you break it all down then not so much. Between our dogs, wanting to get some chickens, goats, gardening, and greenhouse we are going to be very busy. Along with both our neck/back issues. Another issue who is going to watch our place when gone? Very rural. Good chance nothing but what if someone finds out gone for extended period? Got a few toys and hobbies that I dont need to go missing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast