WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RV shopping. Madness.

Boolit Master

RV shopping. Madness.

Been looking at RVs for a couple of years and still haven't pulled the trigger on one. I've been on a couple of different RV forums and watched countless videos.

I want/need a 16' to 19' travel trailer that has decent ground clearance, under 4,000 lbs, queen-sized bed, bathroom I can fit in, and under $20,000.

Tow vehicle is a 2019 Toyota 4Runner with a 5k lb rating. Most I've towed with it is around 3k lbs, which was my utility trailer loaded with my UTV and camping gear. It did fine and did not struggle at all or feel even close to the limit, so I imagine 4500lbs or less will be fine. Will definitely get a weight distribution hitch for an RV.

It's amazing the junk that is being sold these days. Found a couple of RVs that fit the bill perfectly, then find out they are junk. Most notably, the Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup.

Found a Winnebago Minnie Drop about 100 miles away in January that was on sale for $15k. Perfect. Couldn't pull the trigger. Just couldn't wrap my head around payments for 10 years on something I'd only use 3-4 times a year.

Then last night I started browsing RV sites and found one that is nearly perfect. New 2019 Palomino Puma XLE Lite for $13k. At a dealer 70 miles North of here. Palomino gets good reviews and seems like a solid economy RV. This one has a queen bed and two bunk beds, so perfect for taking my grandkids camping. I think I'm going to go up there on Tuesday to look at it and see if I can fit in the bathroom. I'm 6'2" and around 300lbs, so I've found a lot of bathrooms in RVs can't fit me due to height. Sitting on the toilet is close to doing yoga, as well, lol.

Got a $1 an hour raise last month, so that will cover the payment and insurance.

Attachment 261949

Attachment 261950

I've looked at used, which a lot of folks recommend since all of the bugs have been worked out, but the older ones are heavy.

Found a good deal on a 2007 Airstream Bambi 19' locally. Amazing how expensive those are. Some farmer near here is selling it for $23K, which is actually a good deal. But, my dad said he's never been that impressed with them and that they really don't deserve the ridiculous prices people are asking for them. Plus, my girlfriend didn't like the layout, and it sits pretty low for the camping spots I like to go to.

So will go check out the Puma on Tuesday and see if I can get over the thought of more debt.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    My two cents worth is don't do it.
    That extra money you're making will be more useful in the bank than a trailer you use 4 times a year. The other 350 plus days a year you will be paying for that trailer parked in your yard. That means payments, insurance, tags, maintenance and repairs. And while that money is going out of you're bank account, the value of that trailer will plummet like a meteorite crashing to earth. An RV is NOT an investment, it is a series of never ending costs.

If you're retired, a RV may be a bit more useful, A working man seldom has time to get enough use out of a RV to even begin making it worthwhile.

Now, that was pretty negative, here's some slightly positive outlook. If you use a RV as your housing while working away from home, it might make a little sense if you have a free place to park it. If you're building or renovating a house, a RV makes a little sense.

Boolit Master

Years ago there were several of us where I worked went to the trouble to figure out which was the most cost effective;
    1) Tent camping.
    2) Staying in hotels/motels.
    3) Buying a camper of any size or type including camping fees.

The tent proved to be the most economical as well as practical.

Hotel/motel was more expensive than tent camping by 10 to 30% but more comfortable.

Buying, maintaining a mobile camper and paying camping fees not to mention insurance and fuel was far more expensive. Plus you give up the freedom of movement unless you park it and site see in your car or truck paying for a campsite while your not there.

The final choice will boil down to dollars you want to spend & comfort level you want.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

R-pod, I own a 189 which instead of a dinette has a couch facing the TV at the rear.

Queen sized bed, bit of a hassle to make. But 2 walmart sleeping bags zipped together works well.

3000 lbs is what mine weighed empty. Stash it full of camping gear in it and your vehicle and you can climb above that fast.

My tow vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Cherokee Larado with near 7k total. This gives me enough extra that I don't worry about it.

Did fine in the steep twisty roads in the Ozarks.

As noted above you can stay in a whole lot of hotels, Motels, Resorts for 20,000$.

I have not been unhappy with mine, but I am seriously wondering if I am going to be able to travel safely this winter.

Between the Covid, and the election, after which anything could happen. Just has me hunkering down at home.

Mine is currently an hours drive north of New Orleans just N of Covington LA at a cousin's. He's storing it for free, watching over it.

Moderator Emeritus

Been looking for a Class C. I'm retired and my girlfriend will be switching professions to one that can be done remotely. We have my dog (guess he is considered xlarge) plus her large dog. Neither of us can sit for extended periods but the C would allow us to rest while other drives. Still have reservations on whether it is worth it or not. Wont be feasible if we start having chickens, goats, and gardens as who would care for them? I could consider it a spare vehicle but was considering getting a beater truck just as a spare and towing one. My truck can tow 7,000 but I dont want to beat it if I have to tow my backhoe or utv. Interesting to hear the opinions folks are giving. Not much difference whether towing or drivable except the disconnect and drive ability.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can't pay cash, don't buy an RV. There is no way in hell I would borrow to buy something like that. Mine is 20 years old and works like a new one.

Boolit Master
    I’m single and retired. Bought the Winnebago Minnie Drop 2 years ago. It’s perfect for my needs. I boondock in the State forest quite a bit. Planning a trip to Tombstone. My original tow vehicle was a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I didn’t think it was good at towing. I bought a new Toyota Tundra last year, and it works perfectly. Yes, it’s expensive to own, but you only go around once.

We have been looking at a weeroll trailer. 6'x12'x6'. The one we are looking at is all aluminum with a commercial axle. You get a shell to complete for around $11K and you can pull it with anything. We don't care about a bathroom and don't stay at campgrounds. The unit we are eyeballing comes with 30" tires to get up forest service and BLM roads. When we camp we camp. We are not interested in campgrounds where you sit 10' from other people and watch tv. We want to go to wild and wooly places. We have used a tent for several years and want something that is a step up from the tent without sacrificing mobility. We have put a lot of thought and research into this and this is our selection. YMMV.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

A lot of good comments. I have owned 2 RVs mainly used during deer season. I bought used and they came with their share of issues. The second and one I still use is 20 years old and I have spent more maintaining it than I paid for it. Every year before season I pull it in and go over it. And it always needs work. Originally we were in it almost every weekend during season and it was great because we could cook and were within walking distance of our hunting stands etc. Now that my best friend has passed My Godson and I hunt but not nearly as much as before so it doesn't see near the use.
    RVs that are towed a lot are going to have issues. Parking it outdoors without some sort of protection will take it's toll as well.
    This one was 4 years old when I got it and the biggest problems have been from water leaks, both in the roof and some system leaks that occurred before I owned it. I would love to have a newer model but can't justify the outlay, so I just keep working on this one.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deer Camp 2011 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I'll post up my suggestion and that is, no, don't do it. tent camping or even cabin stays are available in a lot of places. lota payments for short time use.

Boolit Master

Plenty of campgrounds have facilities. Otherwise pack an E-tool with your tent. Kids enjoy setting up the tent ! Air mattresses pretty comfortable .

Boolit Master
    swmbo and I figure to buy a retired Penske cube truck, and have our handyman build inside the way we want it. the trucks a pretty reasonable to buy and as a journey man mechanic I can rebuild/fix any shortcomings of the truck. we figure all said and done about 14k full size bed and bath. the cube is 28ft so there's lots of room.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Plenty of campgrounds have facilities. Otherwise pack an E-tool with your tent. Kids enjoy setting up the tent ! Air mattresses pretty comfortable .
    I've camped in a campground once, 20 years ago, and won't do that again.

Why pay $25 to live in a trailer park for the weekend, 20' from a camp full of either drunk people or screaming kids? All of my camping is off-grid, miles into the woods, at a homemade spot next to a creek or lake.

I have always used either a tent or my old pop-up. Then I started dating a woman who insists on a shower and a bathroom.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Some campgrounds can cost $100 a night, buys a lot of hotel instead. Taking a dog is the difference

Banned
    If that $1/hour raise is burning a hole in your pocket, put it in the bank.
    That extra money is better applied towards existing debt and if you have no debt, put it in a savings account. Life is lot less stressful when you have a little financial buffer.

If you want use of an RV for a few days, rent one. Let someone else: buy it, pay the taxes on it, maintain it and have the burden of selling it some day. RV's depreciate like rocks falling from the sky.
    At $250 a night I could rent an RV for a 4 day stretch every year for 13 years before I reached that $13,000 price tag and that's NOT including the taxes, tags, insurance, maintenance, repairs and other expenses.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 05-11-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Boolit Master

RV sales executives are speculating that many will buy RVs for travel and avoid hotels after all this Virus stuff.

Banned
    People in the business of selling RV's are also speculating that they themselves will soon be unemployed if no one has money to buy RV's.

Boolit Master
    yeah we tried the campground thing a coupla times, but to crowded, we also used to throw our camp gear in the boat and take off on the lake and find a island or point (theres a lot of lakes here) but now we're getting a little more mature (aches pains age) and prefer a little more convienience theres a lot of public land with water access, so a hybrid RV suits our needs better and we'll use it more now that we've changed our work habits. we rented one to try it out and it worked really well but was not very cost effective so that's why we're going custom build.

Moderator Emeritus

brass410 can you keep us posted on your progress? That sounds interesting.

Boolit Master

I've looked into buying an enclosed trailer and converting it to an RV. It's a lot of work for not much savings and tough to sell later. But you do end up with something exactly how you want it and higher quality. But with my work schedule, I barely even have time to mow the lawn, much less build an RV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast