Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 7.7 JAP - Need Some Pointers

Boolit Master

7.7 JAP - Need Some Pointers

I'm not well versed in rifle casting. I have played with PC .308's, but never used a gas check. I'm getting a type 99 and don't plan on ever buy a factory round, or projectile for that matter. Firstly, what diameter bullet is the norm? The more I read, the more confused I am. Different people seem to shoot them all over the place. As I don't have the rifle in hand, I can't slug. Can I avoid a GC? Will a plain base PC bullet shoot fine with moderate loads? I plan to order a Mold from Accurate. Any style suggestions?

To update from last weeks adventure, I finally nailed down some 8MM Nambu dies, and brass. Will be ordering a 8MM mold along with the 7.7. I'll get these old war trophys roaring again soon.

I cast a 316299 PB and size down to .315 after powdercoating. Still playing with powder but having good results with 18ish grains of 2400. Not using a GC but still accurate and easy enough on the shoulder

Boolit Buddy
    Use the same projectiles that you would for loading 303 British (at least .310 or bigger).

Boolit Grand Master

Regards 7.7 jap.... I have loaded for 3 of them over the years. Two of them shot the 314299 sized, lubed and GC'd over 4895 with a dacron filler quite well. The third just required a 316299 sized .316 is all. Cases were easily formed from '06 milsurp cases by simply FL sizing in the FL die [FL die adjusted so shoulder of formed case was a tight fit in the chamber] and trimming to fit the neck length of the chamber.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Regards 7.7 jap.... I have loaded for 3 of them over the years. Two of them shot the 314299 sized, lubed and GC'd over 4895 with a dacron filler quite well. The third just required a 316299 sized .316 is all. Cases were easily formed from '06 milsurp cases by simply FL sizing in the FL die [FL die adjusted so shoulder of formed case was a tight fit in the chamber] and trimming to fit the neck length of the chamber.
    I'm going to try for .270 brass. I, like most of us, make good use of as much 30-06 as I can find. .270 on the other hand not so much and I have a hundred or so sitting around. If it's good enough to form 8MM, I expect it can be made to work for 7.7 also.

Boolit Buddy
    My type 99 has a generously sized bore. It slugs at almost .317” I size my bullets to .318. I have had good success with a gas checked Lyman 323470 and the Lee 324-175-1R. I converted Lee to a plain base mold.

I’ve learned that the Metford rifling likes a harder bullet the faster you go.

I either pan lube or tumble lube these, so I’m no help with powder coating.

I use an NOE neck expander (.314” x .318”). It’s not the perfect sized expander, but it works.

JM
    Last edited by JM7.7x58; 05-11-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I'm going to try for .270 brass. I, like most of us, make good use of as much 30-06 as I can find. .270 on the other hand not so much and I have a hundred or so sitting around. If it's good enough to form 8MM, I expect it can be made to work for 7.7 also.
    I use 270 brass where ever possible when doing a case conversion on a .473 diameter case head--I don't shoot a 270, probably never will, by using the 270, I see a 270 headstamp I KNOW it's not a 270.

30-06 stays for the 4 M1's and the 03-A3.

If I used 30-06 for conversions, then it could also be 8x57, 8x60, 7x57, 6.5x55, 318 Westley Richards or a couple of other suspects. Not a good thing.

I see 270 I start being a little extra cautious about which gun it goes into.

I do have the ability to do dumb things. Luckily I've not blown myself up yet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I use 270 brass where ever possible when doing a case conversion on a .473 diameter case head--I don't shoot a 270, probably never will, by using the 270, I see a 270 headstamp I KNOW it's not a 270.

30-06 stays for the 4 M1's and the 03-A3.

If I used 30-06 for conversions, then it could also be 8x57, 8x60, 7x57, 6.5x55, 318 Westley Richards or a couple of other suspects. Not a good thing.

I see 270 I start being a little extra cautious about which gun it goes into.

I do have the ability to do dumb things. Luckily I've not blown myself up yet.
    I am in the same boat. As I already use .270 to form 8MM Mauser, so I am taking a Dremel and rubbing out the .2 in .270. .270 = 8MM, 70 = 7.7MM