Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Uncle Art

My Uncle Art

My Uncle

My uncle collected guns. Not in the way most think of gun collecting. He would collect a gun in all available calibers. One such being the budget Savage rifle 340 (NOT the 340D).

For some reason he thought these were fairly good guns and I guess they were. They had some serious quirks but he really liked them. I remember going to all the Montgomery Ward’s in south and central Texas looking for one of each caliber, and to my surprise, he found them.

The available calibers were:

1. 22 Hornet
    2. 218 Bee
    3. 225 Winchester(later dropped and the 22/250 added which he also got)
    4. 222 Remington
    5. 223 Remington
    6. 30/30 Winchester

He was a collector, but he liked to shoot them also. He really liked the 22 Hornet and the 218 bee for their use of very little powder and quiet report. The problem was that he could not get either of them as well as the 225 or 30/30 Winchester to shoot worth anything.

The 222, 223, and 22/250 would shoot great with most loads they would print into ½ inch. The rimmed cases more like two inches. He was not satisfied with this from these rifles.

I think I was about 16 or 17 and I remember how he researched and asked guys at gun shops, but from his records that I have he came up with the idea of not pushing the shoulder back on the rimmed cartridge, which included the 225 Winchester.

From his records and my remembering my shooting these rifles, the groups shrank to the ¾ to one inch size. My son now has these rifles, and I’m gunna ask if I can borrow the 30/30 as it seems like it would be a great cast bullet gun. I remember going hunting with my Uncle Art using that rifle to take a nice four point buck down in Falfurrias.

These rifles had some short comings. One was that the bolt had one forward lug and one rear safety lug (from what I remember) this made the action what is called stretchy. Case separation was bad from my uncle’s record on the rimmed cases.

On two different entries he only got three reloads with some 218 Winchester brass. That was the way things went until he stopped pushing the shoulder back when he resized the cases. The records show that eight or ten became the norm with one lot of 30/30 giving 13 reloads before the primer pockets became too loose.

The second short coming was that although Savage included a scope mount with the rifle, they were CHEAP to the MAXIMUM. You could sight the rifle in bump it a little and it would be off. My uncle cured this problem by making his own scope mounts (He was an aircraft machinist for the government).

Other that these problems, and if you took the time to adjust your sizing die right, these inexpensive rifles shot pretty good.

The reason I am writing this is because in another thread on this forum, some people complained about the bad accuracy they were getting from their Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet. Maybe you should try not pushing the shoulder back when you resize your cases.

My uncle collected guns. I have a glass cased set of Colt Government models in every caliber made at the time. 45, 9mm, 38 Super, and 10mm. That was the type of collector he was.

He's been gone now twenty years, but I sure learned a lot from him.

ACC

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Fire...0articles.html
    This guy did a lot of gunsmithing on them, as well as warranty work. He is still alive or was a few years back and interesting to talk to.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I owned a lot of Savage 340 series rifles, never saw a 218 Bee or 22/250.

I have, in the last few weeks, begun to shoot cast in my 340C. Results are promising and if it shoots as well as the j words it shot, I'll be happy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    My son has one of each at his house. I think I'll go over there and steal them from him.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    My son has one of each at his house. I think I'll go over there and steal them from him.

ACC
    And send us pictures! I've never heard of those two calibers either-in the 340.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was trying to be nice, they don’t exist.

Banned

I'm a fan of them myself. Have three, a Sears marked .30-30, a Stevens 322 (same rifle with a butter knife bolt handle) and another in .222. The .30-30 and Hornet haven't seen a jacketed bullet since I got them. The .222 has been kind of a dissappointment so far.

I have never seen a 340 in .218 Bee or even heard of one. You find 100 .30-30s for every other caliber and probably 100 Hornets for every other caliber after that. I have seen one in .225 Winchester, occasionally one in .223 surfaces.

The milled aluminum sope mounts they make for them now and much better than the stamped sheet steel Weaver mounts if anybody is interested.

They were innovative for their time. The story is Savage was trying to use up thousands of .30 caliber machine gun barrels after WWII, so they designed the 340 which uses that same barrel nut system the 110 series still uses.

I like 'em. I'd buy more of them if good deals presented themselves. A run of the mill 340 in .30-30 will easily outshoot most .30-30 lever guns.

Banned

Oh by the way, you're right about the Hornet, it's definitely a neck size only proposition. I only shoot light cast loads in mine, it downloads beautifully. ever understood why so many guys want to hot rod the Hornet, if that's what you're after, way too many good, cheap .223s out there which will do it better.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Not setting the shoulder back makes a huge difference and not just in rifles like the Savage . When I started loading for the Garand the word was very short case life for reloaders .

So , just to try something I stripped the bolt on my rifle and found some cases that would not fit at all . Then I started adjusting the size die down just a little and tried the case until the bolt just closed . As I remember I got eleven loads from a test lot of cases until the primer pocket got loose . I wouldn't try to put that ammo in other rifles but it worked fine for that one .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

A very nice story - I enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting it !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Reminds me of loading the 303 Brit for the old Enfields like mine. Neck size and the cases last a lot longer with no separation.

DEP

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure, but I don't think those actions will stand 22-250 psi! They are dandy little rifles, an older friend of mine has one in 30-30, and uses 150gr ballistic tip bullets. He's used it on many whitetail, so I know it works.

Boolit Buddy
    I was trying to be nice, they don’t exist.
    Yes, that.

I'm certainly no connoisseur of fine, high quality rifles...and never claimed to be. However, over the years I have managed to acquire two of the old Savage 340's in 30-30. One is a 340 Series E (1981) and the other, most recently, is a Revelation 225 (Western Auto 340C...1963?). I love these rifles for what they are: rugged, dependable, accurate-enough, easy to carry, joy to shoot bolt action 30-30's that weren't made to be pampered. I keep saying I don't need another rifle, but if I see a 325 or 340 or any of their cross-reference models, I just can't resist.
    Sure, I would like to find a 788 in 30-30, but they've priced themselves out of my range and are even more difficult to come across. Plus, I'd be afraid I'd scratch it while hunting.
    The 325/340's are just my cup of tea.
    Last edited by Terminatorret; 05-31-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Banned

This thread got me thinking about them. I pulled mine out of the closet yesterday and shot 40 rounds of 311466 and ten grains of Unique yesterday afternoon. Considering I haven't messed with it for a long time and all, it shot pretty well, though it did a lot better with deer loads, 31141 and 25 grains of 3031 as I recall.

Good rifles for what they are.

I think these were the hardest to come by normally.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    And send us pictures! I've never heard of those two calibers either-in the 340.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    My son lives 70 miles away. Next time we go to visit I will take some pictures.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    My uncle collected guns. Not in the way most think of gun collecting. He would collect a gun in all available calibers.
    That reminds me of a article in years past about a guy who had Remington 700 BDLs all in, I think .30-06.
    They all had custom made stocks, each out of a different kind of wood.
    From the picture, it looked like about 60 of them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

I'd kind of like to find a 340 with a bad barrel and turn it into a bolt action .38-55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast