MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Lee Classic Cast Turret Press

Banned

Lee Classic Cast Turret Press

I now have all of the parts I needed to get started with my new Classic Turret Press. I worked up 100 9mm Parabellum rounds last night. It was a little bit of a learning curve to get used to after years on the Lee Challenger Press. I dropped a couple primers getting used to the Safety Prime, but it works really slick, I like it. A couple times I didn't lower the ram all the way and almost used a die twice in a row. But after about 20 rounds it got me trained and I was running smooth. I wasn't about to try to get any done today, I mean I'm married and I ain't that stupid. But tomorrow........ ha ha ha. I had to do some rearranging in the gun room, then I put the Challenger up for a back up, or short ammo runs. It's still set up to just clamp back onto the bench any time. But I'll be mainly using the classic turret press from now on.
    Thanks to all of you who have posted about using your turret presses, I have been reading them and using them to decid on getting one. I see what the attraction is now. AS a matter of fact I'm going to have to get back to the casting table this coming week to have enough boolits on hand for my near future reloading sessions.

Glad it is working well. With exception of the Lee safety priming system, I couldn’t be happier with mine.

Boolit Master

I have 3 presses and the CTP is my go to press. I don't even use the index feature, I seat em all then come back with crimp if necessary. Most of my pistol cases I de-prime/resize on the progressive simply because I have the case feeder. Occasionally I'll use the primer arms but most times I use the Lee hand primer.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Great to hear you like it . I think they are Lee's best all around press.

You got that right, Brother!
    Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    I wasn't about to try to get any done today, I mean I'm married and I ain't that stupid. But tomorrow........ ha ha ha.

Boolit Bub
    I also prime either using a Lee ram prime on a seperate press or with an RCBS handtool. I took the priming mechanism off mine on day one. I also batch the shells rather than using as a quasi progressive. But that's me. I have a Dillon 550 for large volume runs of handgun cartridges. The turret press gets used for all rifle and small batches (less then 100 or so) of pistol ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Once setup properly the Safety Prime works great. Except for the last two or three primers. Gravity takes over and w/ no weight on the column they don’t like to feed. I know people hate the Safety Prime. It can be finicky but I prefer it over loading tubes.

Boolit Master
    I like the safety prime if I know I want 100 primers I put 5 or 10 extra in it.
    The more you use it the better it works. I probably don't fumble 1 in 300 now .
    I have as many or more errors with my Lyman and rcbs feeds .
    I think most of the complaints come from folks that don't take the time to learn the set up with the sizing die and time to get a feel for it. Another bonus is you can put about 150 small primers in the tray in about 30 seconds.
    I can get by with any of the ones I have used but prefer the Lee to filling tubes.

Boolit Master

Love my Lee turret press. I feed the primers by hand. I might drop one every 2-300. Just a warning, if you load multiple calibers, you'll spend more on turrets than you did the press! Its, just too easy to pop one out and another in!

Banned

dragon, I have noticed that the last one or two don't want to drop, I have been tapping the safety prime a time or two. I've been thinking about doing like onelight and drop in a few extra primers.

Silvercreek, I bought it with my stimulus money. The press came with one turret and I bought 10 more to have one for each of the 11 calibers I reload.
    All in all I'm loving this press, didn't know what I was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    dragon, I have noticed that the last one or two don't want to drop, I have been tapping the safety prime a time or two. I've been thinking about doing like onelight and drop in a few extra primers.

Silvercreek, I bought it with my stimulus money. The press came with one turret and I bought 10 more to have one for each of the 11 calibers I reload.
    All in all I'm loving this press, didn't know what I was missing.
    What you did with the primers is exactly what I do. I also have extra primer trays so I don't have to empty the trays each time I change from rifle to pistol or magnum primers.
    I also have a pro-autodisk mounted on each turret already set up and ready to add powder when I change calibers(except for rifle calibers).
    It is a very convenient system.

Boolit Master
    Here is of a pic of my only addition to the LCT other than lights .
    I don't like the primer feeder swinging down near the ram some guys add weight to get it to hang where they want it I like this it also makes it less likely for me to nock it out of the press if it gets bumped and holds it away from the ram.
    Mine is 2 rubber bands.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270EEA0B-F2D9-4438-895B-17A9A1FD091F.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	262466

Boolit Master

I feed the primer by hand too. Im also guilty of having a turret for each caliber. They make life easier lol.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.