Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What use do mops have?

What use do mops have?

Like many folks I acquire gun cleaning stuff other than what I actually need or want. I have accumulated a variety of cotton mops. I've never really seen any instructions as to their intended use. So how are they meant to be used and how else can they be?

Thanks.
    Bazoo

I've only ever used the shotgun sized ones and only for oiling the bore when cleaning was done
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Yes, oiling the bores.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Cotton mops moisten the bore prior to brushing so that you don't contaminate solvent by dipping a dirty used brush into it.

Wool mops are used for oiling.

Old School DA Revolver Field Cleaning Kit - Rev3- 7 Feb 2018

Thanks to former FBI Academy and FLETC instructor cadre who taught me the revolver and who have offered edits and suggestions, now incorporated here:

This is edited from an email I wrote responding to a youngster who inherited his Dad's old "cop gun" who asked what he needed for routine cleaning. I thought the reply would be of general interest. While oriented towards an S&W revolver, it works with Colts, Rugers or auto pistols with few gun-specific mods being required if specific tools are recommended.

-------------- Original query deleted here to protect privacy of the innocent -------------

I was taught old school revolver and dislike aerosols, so I don’t use them. Their propellant causes moisture condensation on the gun, they are expensive for the amount of product and waste far too much in product in dispensing.

For general cleaning and lubrication I like Kano Kroil Brownell’s 471-100-008WB Kroil Pour Can or Ed's Red. If you don't want to mix your own ER, buy it blended professionally from Brownell's. 083-150-001WB 4 oz. "Ed's Red" Bore Cleaner https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod19936.aspx

Avoid storing a revolver wrapped in any cotton cloth, because it attracts moisture. I use these to wipe guns carried as EDC daily, and to wrap them up after cleaning and before casing to secure in locked container for travel or longer term storage: https://countycomm.com/collections/v...ro-fiber-cloth

Don’t store a revolver in a leather holster either, because the leather attracts moisture and long-term causes corrosion. If not routinely carrying, inspecting and wiping sweat and dirt off a handgun daily as EDC I store small revolvers or pocket autos in a Maratec zippered PVC pouch which doesn’t look like a gun case: https://countycomm.com/collections/p...epellant-pouch

My field cleaning gear goes into a small Cordura zipper pouch:
    https://countycomm.com/collections/p...hes-by-maratac

Recommended field cleaning gear to keep in the small Maratec zipper pouch for your revolver:

Dewey 4” loop brass pistol rod, Brownell’s 234-000-070WB
    Brass loop patch holder .38 cal. /9mm Brownell’s 084-000-217WB
    Two Dewey COTTON bore mops for CLEANING/WIPING, .38 cal. pk. Of 3 749-000-168WB. Used for a quick field cleaning without patches. Use one mop to wet the bore before brushing. This avoids dipping a dirty brush into the bore cleaner and contaminating it. Use the wet cotton mop again after brushing to remove loosened crud. Use a different dry mop to soak up excess solvent before oiling the gun lightly and putting it away.

One Brownell’s double-tuff bore brush .38 cal./9mm in kit, pack of 3 084-142-137WB

One Brownell’s WOOL bore mop for OILING .38 cal./9mm in kit, pk. Of 3 084-415-037WB

Brownell’s gun parts cleaning brush 676-450-001WB
    Or travel toothbrush https://countycomm.com/collections/v...vel-toothbrush

Brownell’s S&W revolver screwdriver bits only combo pack for S&W 080-087-002WB

Brownell’s Compact Magnetic LE screwdriver handle 080-089-006WB

Brownell’s needle oilers 3 pk. 084-000-361WB, allocated as below:

Bottle 1 - Kroil or Ed’s Red bore cleaner – ID by RED color when filled,

Bottle 2 - USP H1 food grade mineral oil for lubrication - ID easily because contents are CLEAR

Bottle 3 - Isopropyl alcohol to rinse mops and brushes after use. The "crud" falls to the bottom and will stay there. The implement dries quickly and is ready to go for the next range cleaning session. Alcohol is cheap (about a buck for a bottle), and it takes a while for the alcohol to foul to the point where it needs to be replaced. You will notice that brushes and mops last a lot longer using this process.

Alternately some people use clear mineral spirits in the extra bottle before washing them with hot soapy water in the motel sink when on the job travel. This gets the implements cleaner, but they take longer to dry. But professional armorer's advice is to ALWAYS clean used mops for a cleaner gun!

Some people use a .40 cal. NYLON heavy-duty bore brush (Brownell's 084-444-017WB) .40/.41/10mm Pistol, 3 Pk) just for cleaning .38/.357 revolver CHAMBERS. This is a good idea when firing more than 100 rounds of lead bullet ammo between cleanings. The nylon .40 cal. brush canalso be used as expedient bore brush without harm. If firing .38 Special lead bullet ammunition in revolvers with .357 chambers (Brownell's stainless steel CHAMBER brush 084-455-137WB .38/.357 per 3) does a better job of removing lead deposits and tghe dreaded crud ring from CHAMBERS, used with Kroil, but SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THE BORE!

Norton UCS plastic scraper/cleaning stick, is non-scratching and great for getting encrusted fouling out of the nooks and crannies around the revolver barrel extension, the frame window or auto pistol slide face. MUCH better than the sharpened wooden Popsicle sticks we used to use in my time! https://countycomm.com/collections/v...cleaning-stick

For routine lubrication I use only ordinary USDA H1 rated pure USP mineral oil from the drug store, applied with patch, toothpick, Q-tip or eye dropper. Good read on subject. Most "gun lubes" are expensive "snake oil".

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/...-on-your-guns/
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    While a mop is a nice tool to oil a clean bore (like before putting a gun in long term storage), I've never seen much use for a mop in regular cleaning. A simple patch will accomplish the same job and the mop is just one more piece of kit to keep up with.
    Now, for a shotgun, I find a mop to be an excellent tool to oil the bore after the cleaning is done.

Banned

I too use them to oil the bore of my shotguns, and I have used one to oil the gas cylinder on my SKS after cleaning it. Other than those uses I don't use the mops. I have a good size container with several in it. I'm the same as Petrol & Powder, I use a cotton patch to wipe my bores down.

Thanks for the responses. Thanks outpost for that, very interesting.

Outpost,

You suggest a stainless brush for chambers to remove that fowling ring from firing 38s in a 357 bore. How much can I use that before I wear the chambers? You reckon it'd be fine for regular use?

You also suggested a scraper, that's an interesting bit of kit. I've used a small brass rod filed with an angle for years to scrape fouling. I appreciate that suggestion, if I hadn't already known the benefits of a scraper, that would be a lifesaver.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 05-13-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Properly-sized mops on short handles are good for drying chambers after wet patching after firing a black powder cartridge in a match. Wet chambers tend to lengthen the cases on firing.

Also, I find a .38 or .32 mop is perfect for getting the gunk out of the “patent breech” sections of .45 or .38 muzzleloaders. Gets right down in there where a patch on the cleaning rod stops at the constriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Outpost,

You suggest a stainless brush for chambers to remove that fowling ring from firing 38s in a 357 bore. How much can I use that before I wear the chambers? You reckon it'd be fine for regular use?

You also suggested a scraper, that's an interesting bit of kit. I've used a small brass rod filed with an angle for years to scrape fouling. I appreciate that suggestion, if I hadn't already known the benefits of a scraper, that would be a lifesaver.
    As long as the stainless brushes are used with solvent or oil, they won't scratch, but never use them dry! I avoid their use in the bore except when necessary to remove heavy leading. Correct cast loads should not lead. But used regularly stainless brushes and Kroil avoid a "crud ring" in revolver chambers.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-13-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I use mops to suck the water soap solution. Into my muzzleloader bores.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I use mops to suck the water soap solution. Into my muzzleloader bores.
    That's what I use them for also. Soap and hot water in the kitchen sink to cleanup my black powder revolvers..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Got a few but never really found them essential.

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks Outpost, I shoot a fair amount of 38s as well as 357s and have had trouble getting my chambers clean again.

I've found mops to be great for oiling the bore of a shotgun. I'll have to see about integrating them into my revolver and rifle cleaning.

They are good for polishing Chambers when they are loaded with J-B Compound. I use one section of cleaning rod in a cordless drill to spin it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I only use mops for 2 things.

When breaking in a barrel, flood the mop with Barnes CR-10, as per directions, then with tight patches to clean up.

I make LOTS of 22 rimfire inner magazine tube assemblies, the steel tubing has a coat of oil on it to prevent rust.
    So I boil the tubes in TSP to remove the oil so I can process the tubes thru the next machine steps.
    Then when done before final assembling, I run a brush thru the inside of the tube to break up any residue, then come back and with a mop clean the inside of the tube.
    The inside of the tubes need to be spotless so the follower will not bind in its travels
    Have found the best mops are made by Rice Hill, they outlast all other mops

JW

Thanks for that comment JW.

I use mops for field cleaning to avoid littering and when travelling so that I don't have to carry along patches or have used patches to dispose of. When traveling through a state which discourages guns, you don't want to attract attention and leave used cleaning patches around in motel, truck stop and service station trash cans, etc. A compact cleaning kit which fits discreetly in your Dopp kit of toiletries is desired as is a low-odor cleaner that doesn't smell like "gun solvent" (aka Hoppes).
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

That's a good point outpost. I rarely travel however. What cleaner is low odor?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    We used mops a lot in the Marine Corps for making shiny decks (floors)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast