RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Help pricing vise

Help pricing vise

I got laid off and am selling things off locally getting ready to sell my house and move. I have a Wilton 5 inch vise I am trying to figure out a price on. I figured someone here might be able to help me value it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200510_191657.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	261938
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    I would buy that from you but I already have too many vices.

Ok, puns aside, M-tecs provided a link that shows a similar vice selling for about $100 new.

I would price a good used one at about 75% of new ($75) and maybe take a little less just to sell it quickly.

I wish I had better news-
    If you're not in the tool selling business, its hard to get anything close to what they are worth or cost to replace.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thanks guys, at least that will help me get into the neighborhood.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Banned

Help pricing vise

Some good ad-vise in this thread.

Boolit Master

I was told that Harbor Freight has destroyed the market for used tools. You might have a quality tool that really should be worth easily $50 used, but since people can buy a cheap Chinese knock-off at Harbor Freight for $25, nobody wants it. Personally I'll buy quality used any day.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The only vises I've sold I got what they were worth, were old blacksmithing vises.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Ive seen the same thing with the old vises anvils and boiling pots at auctions here. the old vises and anvils millennial want for decorations in their living rooms and homes, why any one would want an anvil and or vise in their home is beyond me. Dads old 250 lb anvil brought $850.00 at the auction. the old columbia bench vise was around $500. Hog scrapers were bringing $150.00. For some reason people go nuts over this stuff.

As too your new wilton vise Its a quality name and a common size for home shops being 5" O would suspect $75-$80.00 maybe a little more or less depending on how fast you want to move it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Ive seen the same thing with the old vises anvils and boiling pots at auctions here. the old vises and anvils millennial want for decorations in their living rooms and homes, why any one would want an anvil and or vise in their home is beyond me. Dads old 250 lb anvil brought $850.00 at the auction. the old columbia bench vise was around $500. Hog scrapers were bringing $150.00. For some reason people go nuts over this stuff.

As too your new wilton vise Its a quality name and a common size for home shops being 5" O would suspect $75-$80.00 maybe a little more or less depending on how fast you want to move it.
    Wait a minute here, hog scapers? You talking about the kind with a kind of concave round circular blade and a turned wood handle? $150? Wow if that is true!
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep these were double ended. A scrapper on each end. They had been sharpened just before dad died. I was sitting there watching in my trac chair dumb founded, Good thing I was sitting or I would have fallen over at the gavel. I believe these were made by my grandfather.

Boolit Master

I have been a professional auto tech for over 40 years. I have well over 80K in tools and a box that was over 13K several years ago. I told my wife when something happens to me she will do good to get pennies on the dollar. Fortunately one of my best friends is a MAC distributor and can help her dispose of it. Sad considering what you pay for them new but just how it is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Wait a minute here, hog scapers? You talking about the kind with a kind of concave round circular blade and a turned wood handle? $150? Wow if that is true!
    At auctions when two people don't want to back off you can see some ludicrous bidding. That being said if they sell around here $5.00 is the norm. eBay has a bunch for $10 and under. New are $10 to $25.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I'm no expert or even half way knowledgeable and I don't know where you are located, but the big problem is going to be shipping if you expect to try selling anywhere but local.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    When I'm buying used (something I rarely do unless I know exactly what I'm looking at) I never offer more than 20% of the new price. When someone is paying 50, 60, 70%, I know I'm watching collectors, and that that isn't the item I want.

Boolit Master
    If the vise was made in China, it would probably not bring the shipping cost.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN