RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger .480 or BFR .475

Congratulations! If yours is as nice as mine, you will be very happy.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. After reading here and on Singleactions.com I am going to order the Ruger something about the BFR just seems off to me.

Thanks again
    Ruger makes a great gun, but what seems off about a BFR?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Ruger makes a great gun, but what seems off about a BFR?
    When ever I look at the pictures of them the bottom of the frame looks like it is at an odd angle.
    Yes they do.
    Last edited by sac; 05-12-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Not that there is anything wrong with a .480Ruger, I have one in .454Casull but what is it about the BFR that seems off to you. For me I would take a .475Linebaugh BFR over a .480Ruger.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    When ever I look at the pictures of them the bottom of the frame looks like it is at an odd angle.
    Yes they do.
    I have two and know what you mean.Mine are both short cylinder guns so its not very noticeable on the long cylinder guns you really see it.But its just a minor thing and the BFRs are a very nice gun I've hoped that they would make a smaller framed model I'd gladly pay extra for one.

Boolit Buddy
    I have put many thousands of rounds full-throttle cast loads though my 44 mag Super Blackhawk and was always very happy with it—until I acquired a 475 LB BFR. The BFR is very well done and is much more comfortable shooting full house loads.

Boolit Master
    The BFR is worth double what a SBH costs. But we all have a budget to follow and I understand that.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    The BFR is worth double what a SBH costs. But we all have a budget to follow and I understand that.
    While I think the quality of the BFR is well worth the price, there are advantages to the SBH. While not an enormous difference, the SBH is smaller and lighter, espeically if you get the 4 5/8" barrel model. The BFR is only available in 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrels, and the way they measure is in reality closer to a Ruger's 7" and 8".

And the OP just likes the look of the Ruger better, nothing wrong with that. That's worth something.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    While I think the quality of the BFR is well worth the price, there are advantages to the SBH. While not an enormous difference, the SBH is smaller and lighter, espeically if you get the 4 5/8" barrel model. The BFR is only available in 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrels, and the way they measure is in reality closer to a Ruger's 7" and 8".

And the OP just likes the look of the Ruger better, nothing wrong with that. That's worth something.
    Yes the BFR might be the better handgun, but like I said when I see the pictures of them the bottom part of the frame and grips seem off to me, and I don't have anyone around for me to look at. Since it is cheaper I can afford to put some grips and mabey a banded barrel down the rode, and I have 6 Ruger single actions and a Super Redhawk already why brake tradition.
    I do appriciate all of the comments, maybey this will quench my thirst so I can start saving for a custom.
    Thanks Scott

Boolit Grand Master

If you ever head north, Reeds in Walker, MN usually has a boatload of BFR's to fondle.

Boolit Buddy
    Enjoy your purchase!

Boolit Buddy
    I might not have bought a BFR but I wanted a .480 single action Ruger at the time only offered double action. I even emailed them didn't get much of a answer.So I bought the BFR .475 with 6.5 barrel. Shortly after the Ruger Single Action .480s were introduced.I don't regret buying the BFR I think it is a better made gun than the Ruger I have 7 Ruger single action not a lot but enough to make a comparison.I bought another BFR a 500 JRH with 5.5 barrel to me the shorter barrel gun is much nicer looking just looks right.I think Magnum Research should offer more barrel lengths in the non custom guns.One thing its hard to find someone who actually owns and shoots a BFR that doesn't like them.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We have two BFR's. One is the 475 and the other in .454. No regrets buying both of the BFRs.We have a bunch of Rugers also.
    But the BFR's to me are easier to get very good accuracy. The cylinders align. The trigger / hammer timing is right on. The Rugers just do not to me have the precision the BFRs do. They are good. But the BFR's are just another step closer to fantastic.
    And how many Rugers need the cylinder throats equalized... Or the barrels have a tight spot... I have dealt with it all. The BFR's were ready to shoot cast from day one.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    The other thing I find odd about the BFR, they don't make the .475 in a shorter barrel. In 2016 John Quinn did a review of one with a shorter barrel.
    Maybe down the road I can actually look at one and it might change my mind and get one in .500.

Boolit Grand Master

Well if ya want a shorter barrel a hacksaw and a machinest square and some stone work and you have got it.
    I think in my time I have wacked 20 barrels and never ended up saddened about it.
    But when firing a 450 grain slug at 1300 fps I kind of appreciate that extra steel hanging out there.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banner Sponsor

I would find a place that has both in stock and go with the one that fits your hand the best.
    I have several Rugers and several BFRs. The Ruger Bisley fits me the best and is more comfortable when shooting heavy loads. The standard grip frame on the BFR is very close to the Ruger Super Blackhawk, it just has the rounded trigger guard vs the Ruger with the square back on the trigger guard.
    The BFR will hit the knuckle of my middle finger, while the Ruger Bisley does not. I have not tried the BFR Bisley yet.
    The extra weight of the BFR would be prefered if you are planning on shooting heavy loads.
    When both the 480 and 475 are loaded to the same length, they have the same internal capacity, so both can reach the same velocities.

If you decide to get something from the BFR custom shop, be sure the specify what you want the actual barrel length to be. Factory BFRs are measured from the front of the frame, which adds an extra 3/4" to the overall barrel length.. When I had my 500JRH built, I wanted a 6" barrel, so I asked for a 5 1/4" barrel and got a 5 1/4" barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I would find a place that has both in stock and go with the one that fits your hand the best.
    I have several Rugers and several BFRs. The Ruger Bisley fits me the best and is more comfortable when shooting heavy loads. The standard grip frame on the BFR is very close to the Ruger Super Blackhawk, it just has the rounded trigger guard vs the Ruger with the square back on the trigger guard.
    The BFR will hit the knuckle of my middle finger, while the Ruger Bisley does not. I have not tried the BFR Bisley yet.
    The extra weight of the BFR would be prefered if you are planning on shooting heavy loads.
    When both the 480 and 475 are loaded to the same length, they have the same internal capacity, so both can reach the same velocities.

If you decide to get something from the BFR custom shop, be sure the specify what you want the actual barrel length to be. Factory BFRs are measured from the front of the frame, which adds an extra 3/4" to the overall barrel length.. When I had my 500JRH built, I wanted a 6" barrel, so I asked for a 5 1/4" barrel and got a 5 1/4" barrel.
    I just found out this weekend they had a custom shop, will have to look into it.

Banner Sponsor

I got the octagon barrel for my 500JRH, but instead of the octagon being full length, they stop about an inch from the frame and leave that part round. It looks like they have a build your own gun section of there website. If you don't see the options that you want, you can always call them.
    My 500JRH started as a 50ae that I found on GunBroker for cheap. If you get the gun from them, you will pay full retail price.
    Just something to think about...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post

Not in today’s world. I just purchased a BFR in 475/480. It was described as having a 6.5 inch barrel. The barrel measures 6.5 inches from one end to the other. But 8-10 years ago what you stated was mostly true.
    East Tennessee

Banner Sponsor

I guess it's been awhile since I've bought a BFR. I'm glad that they have changed there measurement system.
    These are my older BFRs.

Custom Shop 500 JRH with 5 1/4" barrel

45/454/410 with 5 1/2" barrel

475 with 6 1/2" barrel

500 S&W with 7 1/2" barrel

45-70 with 10" barrel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast