Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Books with regards to 30WCF

Books with regards to 30WCF

I'm fascinated with the history of the 30-30. Both development, and usage. I read everything I can on the subject.

I've read Winchesters 30-30 model 94 by Sam Fadala, but it's the only specific book Ive found on the cartridge.

I'd like suggestions of books and articles and excerpts that have regard to the 30-30. Even just a true story a member has is interesting to me. So please feel free to share. Of particular interest is stories of adventure in Alaska in the early 20th century.

Thanks, Bazoo

There may be some other books than Fadala's, but my guess is that books that just specifically deal with the .30-30 cartridge itself are few. You'll find several books about the Win. '94 though, among them "Winchester model 94, A Century of Craftsmanship" by Robert C. Renneberg, a Krause Publications/Gun Digest Book from about 2009. You'll probably find many past gun magazine articles about the cartridge itself. I used to get all the magazines and cut out or Xeroxed articles about specific cartridges in which I was interested, and have a big binder full of them, including several on the .30-30, but not adventure stories.

DG
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 05-10-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Sp.

Boolit Grand Master

Rifle Magazine , The Legacy Of Lever Guns 2000 , volume I ,
    by Dave Scoville , while not devoted to 30-30 entirely , is a good read and available
    for $9.26 from Amazon.

The reloading book , One Book/ One Caliber - The Complete Loading Manual for the 30-30 Winchester has comprehensive data and interesting insights written at the start of each chapter by different experienced people , these little tidbits and nuggets of information are often overlooked , but shouldn't be .
    I read each one when I got a book for loading the 41 Magnum...and was impressed at the things I didn't know . Amazon $8.95 ...worth every penny !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Come to think of it though, maybe I can give you one. Many years ago my dad bought a 160 acre ranch which had been a homestead taken out about 100 years earlier. It was an island in a national forest, very sparsely populated with the nearest neighbor one mile in one direction, and the next 4 miles in another direction. We ate a lot of venison, and most of it was taken in or near our small apple orchard at night with a spotlight. He had a model 94 carbine, a very old one, but being a kid at the time I couldn't say exactly how old,as I wasn't into serial numbers and such at the time. It was completely worn silver with not a trace of bluing anywhere, but no rust or pits. He had refinished the stock, which was walnut, but of a lighter shade and almost blonde. Everyone who visited and saw the rifle commented on it. His favorite load was Winchester brand 170 gr. soft nose factory ammo, and I never saw him use more than one cartridge per deer. Almost all of them were taken at 50 - 75 yards, and he always shot them in the neck so as not to spoil much meat. They never took more than one or two jumps before going down. Like I said, this was many years ago and things were markedly different in law enforcement and attitudes. A USFS Fire Marshall used to come through the property a couple of times a year and once mentioned in a conversation that they were well aware that landowners kept themselves in fresh venison. "After all, they're raised on your apples and hay, and there's a lot of them that don't get shot."
    My mom was not the best chef, especially when it came to venison, and used to cook these large venison roasts that came out dry enough to make your mouth pucker. I found about the only way I could eat it was to slice it thin and put it on a sandwich with mayonnaise. I really came to dislike the stuff and today still avoid it.The weather cycle was a drought and the cattle business wasn't prospering, so after 13 years they sold the ranch and moved to a town. My dad sold the Winchester before leaving, but exactly to whom I never found out, having by then gone off to the Army.

Actually, I can think of another Win. 94 .30-30 tale. When I was attending the gunsmithing school in '81 we had a 3-day weekend and several of us decided to go camping. We went to the Pawnee National Grasslands north of Denver. After setting up camp we went exploring and found a water hole perhaps an acre in size. There was one large tree near the edge of the hole. One of the fellows suddenly yelled, "Snake" and fired off his .30-30. Myself, having a great aversion toward snakes, immediately turned my head in his direction in time to see one of the most fantastic shots I've ever personally observed. He spun toward the tree and fired from the hip. This huge snake, I'm guessing 5 ft. in length went flying from the tree into the water, and as it was outlined against the sky I could plainly see that it was shot almost, but not quite in half, sort of resembling a flying safety pin. Well, not only was I impressed by the amazing display of marksmanship, but naturally bought the rifle from him when he offered it for sale a couple of weeks later. He was from Indiana and had purchased it from a student from Michigan who brought it to the school to be re-blued. It's in the 3 million serial no. range, and I've still got it. Eventually I re-re-blued it, being fussy about workmanship. A nice older rifle with a story, shows some wear but still very serviceable.

DG

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the stories and the lead on a new book DG.

I do have a one book one caliber manual for 30-30 and for most calibers I shoot. I read it cover to cover and you're right Gary, it is a wealth of overlooked information.

Boolit Master
    Some folks are amazed when shooting a lever action in 30-30. I know my two Canadian centennials 20" barrel and 26" barrel shoot very well. But shooting a 30-30 chambered bolt action with a 168 grain Sierra Match King is a whole treat in and of itself. The Rem 788 has been long known to be an excellent shooter, the Win model 54 as well and of course the stevens various models in 30-30. I've seen folks sneer when they find out a lever action is in 30-30. Don't know what they are missing but we don't. Frank

See, I don't judge a cartridge by comparison to other cartridges with a ballistic table like modern gunners do. I'm more inclined to read about it's field use on actual game.

Not to mention the 30-30 looks right.

Boolit Grand Master

I just thought of another book . "Winchester Lever Legacy" by Clyde "Snooky" Williamson"
    1988 published by Buffalo Press , Zachary , Louisiana . printed by Moran Colorgraphic , Baton Rouge , Louisiana .
    Somewhat obscure , I don't know if it was ever reprinted . I bought mine in local Barnes & Nobel when Snooky was doing a signing...He's a Louisiana boy . While not dedicated entirely to the 30-30 it has a good chapter on it with reloading data and his "real world" hunting experiences with the 30-30 and just about every other cartridge the Model 94 was chambered . He had a large farm and was allowed to cull animals that destroyed his crops ... he shot a lot of deer and hogs .
    Details the effects of different loads on actual game he has taken ... not just shooting wet newspaper or water jugs. Pretty cool book . There is a new copy on Amazon for $79.00 ...you might try E-Bay for a cheaper used copy...it's worth having .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks for the report on that Gary. I have interest in all the 94s chambering as well as many of the other winchester cartridges. 348 winchester and 33 WCF being at the top of the list.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo:

The May 2020 issue of "Guns & Ammo" magazine
    just had an interesting article on the 348 Winchester.

Of course, it was about Hornady's new offering, but
    Craig Boddington also relates the history of the
    Winchester Model 71.

Want me to send it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    Bazoo:

The May 2020 issue of "Guns & Ammo" magazine
    just had an interesting article on the 348 Winchester.

Of course, it was about Hornady's new offering, but
    Craig Boddington also relates the history of the
    Winchester Model 71.

Want me to send it to you?
    Thank you for the heads up. I very much would be interested in reading that. Are you talking about sending a scanned copy or the actual magazine? I'm glad to pay shipping on the latter.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Cast Bullet Assn. Fouling Shot Issue #257 had a good article on history of the .30-30. I already sent Bazoo a copy, but if anyone else would like one, PM me with an email address which can accept a 3MB .pdf attachment and I am happy to send a copy.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've read the material that outpost and Fred sent me. Thank you both.

Any other reading on the 30wcf that I can be directed towards I'd appreciate the headsup.

Boolit Master

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ has some good articles not just on 30wcf. Worth a look if you haven't already seen them Bazoo.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Love the 30-30 cartridge and the firearms built over the last century or so that fire it. Been having a Winchester 54 action in 30-30 that I feel would really raise a few eyebrows if rebarreled with a premium barrel and good optics. Was looking for an old Winchester marksman target stock and just a couple years ago found one. Was glass bedded but whatever they used was crumbling and falling apart. Few differences between the 54 & 70 actions but nothing major. Already had the original bolt handle cut off and a model 70 one welded on. Since it already came drilled and tapped I can use a new old stock Redfield Junior base and a set of Buris zee rings. Don't think anyone does a picatinny rail for the 54 action. Frank

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Bazoo - can't help you with the book titles but if you like the 94, you have to like the 30-30! I have had several over the years - I let them go and now would like to find a nice vintage one in 30-30 with good honest wear to it. I have many fond memories of hunting up in the U.P. of Michigan with my father-in-law's 94 that he bought as a youngster in the 1930's - a great rifle. About the only time it sat idle was when he was gone for four years during WWII.

Not on the rifle but I am posting the following links on the 30-30 cartridge in case someone hasn't[t seen them - disregard if you have seen them. I like the 30-30/30 WCF just because it is such a historic cartridge - easy to load and FUN to shoot!

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/3030history.htm

https://winchestercollector.org/foru...-replications/

Good luck in your quest for books/articles. Back in Michigan, I have a book that my Dad bought years ago - I can't remember the title but it was on the history of Winchesters. The book is quite a large book and thick - can't remember the title or author but I do remember that it has an orange color paper cover over the hard binding (can't remember the right term for that). My Dad got it in the 60s and it's supposed to be a collector's item now. Maybe someone reading this can remember the title and post it?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Winchester’s 30-30, Model 94 the rifle America loves by Sam Fadala. Stackpole books 1986
    Great book. Find a copy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Time itself has written the book on the 30/30, for the past 125 years or so it has been the go to gun for hunters, ranchers, farmers. Now it is the darling of the cast boolit crowd, and no other cartridge will duplicate it. Maybe we will see it on "best of the west" TV, of course you won't need 4 people to estimate the range, adjust the scope, etc.