Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal for flux

Boolit Grand Master

Charcoal for flux

I use sawdust for flux.
    Works the best for me, but smokes.
    I have a fan vent, so not that much of a problem.
    The sawdust turns to charcoal.
    Has anyone just used charcoal to flux.
    My thinking it would cut down on the smoke.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Works the best for me, but smokes.
    Just put a match to the flux and it will stop smoking
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Charcoal should work as a flux but would need broken up to a powder / fine granulation. WHat did pop into my mind reading your question is With my big ladle pot (120 lbs) if a couple briquettes left floating in it would slow the oxidation on top while casting? They would be to big to get in my ladle. I make a swirl when filling the ladle so would have small stir action every cast. Might make a more consistent mix start to finish

Moderator Emeritus

My saw dust turns to ash, not charcoal.

I don't think I'd use Kingsford BBQ charcoal, while it might work ok, it seems like a waste.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Briquettes are not charcoal which is made out of wood. BBQ briquettes are mostly made out of coal.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    My bag of lump charcoal always has some dust in the bottom of the bag. Normally just dump it in the yard.

Think I'll save it and try it as flux.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't see why real charcoal wouldn't work as flux, most recommendations are for a carbon based product and charcoal is carbon.

In Elmer Keith's first book, "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads" he recommended a layer of charcoal on top of the melt to reduce oxidation, if I remember correctly.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Briquettes are not charcoal which is made out of wood. BBQ briquettes are mostly made out of coal.
    Actually, briquettes are indeed made from wood. Charcoal is partially burned wood.

The Kingsford Company was owned by Henry Ford. Instead of throwing out all the hardwood crates in which his materials came, he started making charcoal from them, and got another revenue stream.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Actually, briquettes are indeed made from wood. Charcoal is partially burned wood.

The Kingsford Company was owned by Henry Ford. Instead of throwing out all the hardwood crates in which his materials came, he started making charcoal from them, and got another revenue stream.
    I thought the story was they made them from "drops" from cutting the Oak used for frame inserts and body panel supports for the Model T?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The Kingsford plant is located in Springfield, OR, just off Hwy. 126, which is the main highway between Eugene and Bend. Every time we go east, we pass that plant, and the huge piles of raw material are wood, not coal. They make the briquets out of wood products.

https://www.kingsford.com/products/original-charcoal/

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    I used wood ashes, like from a fireplace or camp fire. I don't remember having a lot of problems getting good boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Kingsford briquettes have something mixed with the charcoal so they can be formed in the little briquettes ...I believe it's Charcoal , Cornstarch , Sawdust , Sodium Nitrate and water ...the mixture is formed into the briquettes and dried .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I thought the story was they made them from "drops" from cutting the Oak used for frame inserts and body panel supports for the Model T?
    I'd heard the wooden crates for engines & such were made to a spec. where they could be knocked apart,
    and dropped in during assembly as the floor boards. That was done on the Model 'A's too.
    Other crate pieces went into the wooden door and body frames for the upholstery to be attached to.
    Whatever was left of the crates went to Kingsford.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd heard the wooden crates for engines & such were made to a spec. where they could be knocked apart,
    and dropped in during assembly as the floor boards. That was done on the Model 'A's too.
    Other crate pieces went into the wooden door and body frames for the upholstery to be attached to.
    Whatever was left of the crates went to Kingsford.
    Yep, ol' Henry even specified the engines be delivered in crates of certain size, bolted together with certain bolts, the bolt holes in certain places.

When the engines got to his factory, they unbolted the sides of the crates, and used those same bolts to drop the un-altered crate pieces into the floors of the Fords on the assembly line. Even the holes where in the correct places.

The folks making his engines also made his floorboards.

Boolit Grand Master

Charcoal briquettes sold for cooking food can include:[5][6]
    Wood charcoal (fuel)
    Lignite coal (fuel)
    Anthracite coal (fuel)
    Limestone (ash colourant)
    Starch (binder)
    Borax (release agent)
    Sodium nitrate (accelerant)
    Sawdust
    Wax (some brands: binder, accelerant, ignition facilitator).
    Chaff (rice chaff and peanut chaff)

Read the package for ingredients. I get real charcoal (made of wood only) and it works fine.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I make charcoal in an old ammo can. Take the rubber seal out, burn the can in a fire to remove the finish. Stuff it full of wood, close the top, put it in the firepit upside down. Start fire, remove can in a couple hours and let cool while closed and still upside down. Open and enjoy.

Boolit Bub
    I have been using my old walnut tumbling media for decades to flux with. I have even added oil to enhance it when it burns down it is basically just little pieces of charcoal. doesn't smoke and recycling is part of the fun.

Boolit Master

I use sawdust that has been used as handcleaner after oil changes; it scrubs your hands while soaking up the oil. Also use sawdust to clean up oil spills, then use as flux.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Wife and I just talk about the trip to Cass Railroad in WV. Kingsford Plant down around that way. Huge pile of wood chips, Where talking huge.

Boolit Master

Don't forget the safety factor, charcoal produces carbon monoxide which will kill you if used in an enclosed area.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast