Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to all the varget?

Boolit Bub

Angry What happened to all the varget?

I’m down to my last pound of varget and can’t find anywhere that has any. What’s going on? I was looking before coronavirus, so I don’t think it’s that. Any recommendations for a good substitute? IMR 4064 seems close, but I haven’t looked to see how available it is.

Boolit Grand Master
    We bought it all. I like WW-748 and use it in some of the same applications as Varget. However, there are several powders that have similar burn rates, E.G. BL C(2), CFE 223, H4895. Which will best serve your needs depends on what specific cartridges and bullet weights you are loading.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Probably covid shipping issues, I’ve noticed off the wall stuff I enjoy is much less available. Try finding a can of regular cafe bustelo coffee on the shelf (cheap but way better than Folgers). Doesn’t help Varget is made in Australia and I always hear of this powder being hard to find.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Master
    Yep, non-essential. Trucks are busy carrying toilet paper

Boolit Master
    I gave up on Varget during the Obama administration and started using IMR 4064 in my bolt gun & CFE 223 in my black gun both are 223s . I'm quite happy with both after a little load development .

Boolit Grand Master

Varget is usually the first powder to disappear. Even during normal times it’s spotty due to production runs. People tend to love it. Lots of other powders that work equally well.

Boolit Grand Master

I've read about it for years...never actually saw a container , only blurry photo's...like Big Foot !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

What happened? The 6.5 and long range shooting fads. Happens every time some new gun fad comes out. Certain powders have increased demand till it burns out. Happened during the short fat magnum craze too.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only have 24 lbs. Not enough, but I have other powders for plinking with. I do not use it in the AR’s but it is my go to powder for 5.56 and .308 bolt guns.

4064 is good alternative. But CFE 223 seems more available so that will be my AR powder.

BTW, things will likely get worse. Give serious consideration to putting up a good supply if you find something that works for you.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    In high power competition circles, BLC2 runs a close second to Varget as powders of choice. I heard a rumor about a plant burning down in Australia during their recent massive fires.

Reloader 15 for me has equaled or gave better accuracy than varget in the 223 and 308 especially in the 223 with heavier than 60 gr bullets
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

It's been gone for a long time.
    I'm hoarding the rest that I have for my .308.
    I've given up on the short term and started loading H335 in my 45-70 with very good results.
    WWG1WGA

There are other good powders besides Varget. I prefer Reloader 15. I know of server other HPR shooters that get good accuracy with IMR 8208 XBR and H-4895.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Found 8-1 pound cans Saturday!! Didn't buy any, as I was after IMR 4895. Maybe I should have bought it! Did get 4 pounds of IMR 4895, though. It's out there as I was informed in a post I put up.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Like others said previously, Varget seems to be shopped hard at all times, regardless of crisis. Add that, and it's a ghost. I shop Powder Valley almost exclusively, and they are cleaned out of everything. I've still got a 4 pounder. I don't shoot it much.

Boolit Grand Master

I was just in an LGS and they had a couple of kegs of Varget. They were will in excess of $200 so that is probably why they are still on the shelf
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I use IMR 4064 some times in place of Varget . You start with the Min load and work up on it to see what works, When the last thing that happened on powder , there was alot that is hard to find around here that IMR 4064 was always around here. That is why I stick with it easy to find it and see that I works with the data of Varget. I done it for a friend and there was only Varget data for what he want to load and he was worry I told him not to .We got the load up to where it need to with IMR and he was happy .Also you will see at times that for the data they will have both powders of Varget and IMR 4064 on the same bullet.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I have been using Varget since it came around has been my preferred powder for .308 and .338-06 AI.I would buy 8 pounders every time I would see it subsequently I have a lifetime supply(30#’s). Like others I have discovered IMR 4064 has been a good replacement in the .308 and the best powder for my 30-06 and 168 gr bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Check out Shooters World Precision powder. Almost a duplicate of Varget.

https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2019...rld-precision/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Hazmat fees cause people to add in stuff they might not need right away. Common powder disappeared with the primers - again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast