Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Mp 452. 155 swc mold

Boolit Master

Mp 452. 155 swc mold

Looking at the mp155swc,for 45acp.
    Anyone on here,shot this boolit?
    Accuracy,,feeding?

Boolit Master
    I just purchased my first 1911, Tisas ZigM45 / Commander, and quickly found it would not feed either a commercial cast (SNS) bullet or the LEE SWC. Discovered the barrel needed to be throated and should be back this week. I know neither of these are the mold in question but just something I discovered new to me. Had Doug on this forum do the work, Good quick turn around.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    I just purchased my first 1911, Tisas ZigM45 / Commander, and quickly found it would not feed either a commercial cast (SNS) bullet or the LEE SWC. Discovered the barrel needed to be throated and should be back this week. I know neither of these are the mold in question but just something I discovered new to me. Had Doug on this forum do the work, Good quick turn around.
    Try Lyman Mould # 452460 , 200 gr. SWC .
    This boolit has fed in the following guns with no modifications whatsoever :
    Star Model PS
    Colt Commander
    Colt 1911-A1 (GI Issue)
    Colt Gold Cup
    Star Firestar
    AMT Hardballer #1
    AMT Hardballer #2
    This design has worked like a charm in every one of the above pistols ...try it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I just got the NLG version of that mold week before last. I have a batch cast and hi-tek coated, but haven't started working up loads yet. With my alloy, which is mostly COWW and some range scrap they drop at right about 170gr. The Lyman's Cast book has loads for a 170 Saeco SWC, so that is what I am going to start with. The weatherman says Thursday might be my range day. I will report back on how they shoot and feed. So far, the dummy that I made plunks at about the same OAL as my 200gr SWCs so I don't foresee a feeding issue.

Boolit Master
    I don't know your bullet but here are two good ones close to that weight: Brazos Precision hitek coated 160, or it's father the H&G S242. 3.8 to 4.2 of Bullseye, clean 25 yard be targets and good 50 SF scores.

Boolit Master
    The old Lee 155 "Flying Pagoda " did not work well though...

Boolit Master

I have a NOE version of this boolit, as well as a Lee and a NEI.

IF your pistol will feed them they are fun to shoot. IF is the operative word.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I have the mold you are talking about from MiHec. It casts to 165 to 168 g. with my alloy. I size and lube at .4522." I have no trouble with the bullet feeding in my tuned bullseye pistols. I loaded them with 4.5 g of bullseye powder. I crimped the first batch at .470. There was a group buy for this mold a year ago.
    The first batch did not meet my satisfaction for the accuracy I need for 50 yard accuracy. I think my best group was 4" at 50 yards. Not bad but not good enough for Bullseye competition.
    I then bought the Accurate Mold which is a 160 g. bullet and similar to the 185 g. Saeco No. 130 mold but with a shorter body. This mold also casts about 165 to 168 g with my alloy. The H&G mold number for the 160 g. bullet is 242S. From what I understand this is the same as Brazo's 160g bullet. I know some pistol shooters that are using this bullet. They use 4.5 g. of bullseye powder. This bullet also feed well in my guns.
    I Ransom Rested this bullet also and did not get satifactory results. Again best was around 4" at 50 yards. After much research it seems this bullet needs more crimp to shoot well. I have loaded the 155 and 160 g. bullets up for testing but the rainy wearher has prevented my testing. The crimp is at .465". for these tests.
    So far I have not got the MH 155 or the Accurate 160 to shoot to my expectations. But others have used the 160 with satisfaction, I just have not got there yet.
    If you want me to PM you with my 155 and 160 g results I can do so.

Boolit Master

Thanks a bunch.

Boolit Master

Does the 155 have the same nose lenth as the 68,,more or less?
    Ive been shooting a pair of ruger americans lately,,and there amazingly accurate,with the 68.anything with a short nose,,doesnt feed well.thats what im wondering,,if they will run in the ruger Americans, accurately...

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170_200_swcs.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	262046
    The nose is skinnier but not significantly shorter. Here it is next to a Lee 200 SWC
    Still haven't been out to the range to run it yet, but the dummy round hand-cycles just fine in the PPQ-45 and the Sar K-2

Boolit Master

Nice long nose,,i bet it would feed in the rap,,,i may have to buy 1...

Boolit Master
    My Bullseye autos will feed empty brass, so can yours with the proper magazines and other gun related geometry. Things like ramps and timing due to links etc.

Boolit Master

My guess is that the 155 g. bullet will feed in your firearm. The 200 g. And 155 g. bullet noses are about the same length so their feeding should be close.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a lot of 155 gr SWC bullets from a Magma mold and did not get as good of accuracy as a 200 gr SWC in the same 1911, however the 155 gr SWC would shoot tighter groups off a bench than I could shoot off hand.

Boolit Buddy
    I did discover today that it will not reliably feed from the magazine for the wrong gun. I made up a small batch to run across the chrono, and in the rush to get to the range, picked up the wrong magazine. I only own 2 45s and both are double stack. Should have been obvious since they have different color followers, but doing too many things at once... I see no reason why they wouldn't feed in a RAP. @maniac, PM me your address and I'll mail you a handful to make up some dummy rounds and see if they cycle before you take the plunge

Boolit Master

My Springfield TRP will feed empty cases. But it has problems with my 155 SWC boolits. Same for my XD(M).
    NRA Benefactor.