Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: 700 Adl convert to Bdl?

Boolit Master

700 Adl convert to Bdl?

I picked up a beater 700 Adl 243 a few months back, the stock need refinishing, but I've always liked the look of the older style Adl stock versus the Bdl. But however I'm not to fond of blind mag rifles, so the question is can a Bdl trigger guard be inletted into a Adl stock. Just wondering if you guys have done this, cause I can find no info on this other than replacing the stock and all the parts.

Boolit Master

It can be done although I haven't done it myself. You will need a BDL magazine box as well as the bottom metal. The easier part will be opening up the bottom of the magazine area, a little more tedious the area between the magazine box and the front screw. You may have to fill a bit under the front tang of the bottom metal but not sure.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

I did just that in 1967 with, co-incidentally, my .243 Remington 700ADL (now-rare) 20" barreled carbine.

(I had bought the rifle, excellent/used for $95, a month or so after my (military) discharge, for deer hunting use.)

At that time, I was able to order the needed BDL parts directly from the Remington Parts Dept - a BDL TG/floorplate assembly.

IIRC, I was able to use the ADL magazine liner, spring & follower; then carefully inlet the wood wherever for the bottom metal; but since that was over 50 years ago, well...…..

I do, however, remember going slow on the inletting, trying the fit every few scrapes of the wood - so as to not go too deep, causing magazine fit problems.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    it's not hard to do and fiberglass is your friend if you remove too much wood. I would probably leave it like it is. I think all you would need is the bottom metal, should be the same box, Bottom metal would cost from 50.00 on up, probably. Last stock I did, was a model 70 featherweight I converted to a blind magazine, so I didn't have to buy the bottom metal.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    it's not hard to do and fiberglass is your friend if you remove too much wood. I would probably leave it like it is. I think all you would need is the bottom metal, should be the same box, Bottom metal would cost from 50.00 on up, probably. Last stock I did, was a model 70 featherweight I converted to a blind magazine, so I didn't have to buy the bottom metal.
    Add $100 to that price nowadays.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Yes, it can be done, as I did to my 700 adl. LA. I found a trigger guard with a floor plate off a 7mm mag, at a lgs.

Boolit Master
    I've priced everything from midway, just wasn't sure if it could be done or not. I know the inletting will take a lot of time, which it should if done right!

If you do that, plan on pillar bedding it. That way you can open the front hole from the inside and drive the escutcheon out that way. If you drive it out toward the bottom you have a good chance of breaking a chunk of wood off as it comes out.

Boolit Master
    I recommend the use of inletting guide screws when inletting the trigger guard.They are available fro Brownells and probably Midway.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I recommend the use of inletting guide screws when inletting the trigger guard.They are available fro Brownells and probably Midway.
    Absolutely!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I was planning on using guides to inlet the guard, I have beaded a few rifles, just never done a pillar bed! Does it require much alteration to the stock? Looks like the mag box is the same, but will require a different spring, and use the same follower.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    I was planning on using guides to inlet the guard, I have beaded a few rifles, just never done a pillar bed! Does it require much alteration to the stock? Looks like the mag box is the same, but will require a different spring, and use the same follower.
    ADL mag box is taller and has the little tab to attach it to the receiver. Follower and spring will interchange if you hammer the front of the spring flat so it'll go in the BDL floorplate.