WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationADvertise hereRepackbox

Thread: first holster....357 BH

first holster....357 BH

Made my first holster....there were a few "learning moments"....but it works!

Not bad. I've never seen one with the smooth side in. Looks neat. When I make one like that I cut a notch for the rear sight to clear. A piece of canvas will burnish both the edges a little better and give a little burnish to the rough side if you want it. Pretty decent though.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice.......why is the rear sight so high?

Boolit Master
    That looks really nice for a first holster good job .
    I had to adjust the rear sight really high on my 45 flat top and I was able to find a taller rear blade to allow me to get it back down.
    Something to watch out for with the combination of high rear sight and a holster that can put pressure on the sight is the holster in certain situations can compress the the elevation spring and let the screw change adjustment or even fall out . Cant tell on your combination from the pics , but something to watch out for. If it does cause a problem it would be easy to remove a bit of leather at the sight to relive it.
    My first holster deserved it's own leather work article , how not to build a holster..
    Yours looks like a good field design that should last for years. Enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    Wow. Can't believe that's your first holster!! +1 on a little relief for the rear sight. You can proudly use that for years + years. Well done.

Boolit Master
    Really good workmanship for a first holster. I like the roughout leather. I also am interest in how that hammer strap will work out. Holsters were working tools back in the day, not showpieces. The main difference between my first holster and your was that I recessed the stitching by running a "V" grove wherever I was going to stitch. I hand stitched my holster and I really had a pair of sore hands by the time I finished. Saved some wear and tear on the stitching over the years. You did a great job. james

Thanks for all the comments....yeah, it's kinda ugly but very solid and functional. I hear you on the recessed stitching, TNsailorman. I'll do that on the next one. I've since gotten a set of decent leather tools. This one was done with nothing but grit and determination...Good to learn about the rear sight situation. I just adjusted it appropriately and didn't realize that having it stick up like that was a problem, and I didn't realize there was a taller rear blade. I haven't been too happy with the stock sights on this anyway. I put a Bowen on my .45 and I really like it. Might do the same with this one...

I might make an inside out holster or two myself to try. Personally , I like stitching that's proud like that. I've done both and prefer the look. If however long goes by and it needs to be restitched, so be it.

I've got 2-3 I need to do. Right now I'm working on a single six holster and a winchester 94 scabbard out of scraps.

It's amazing what you can do with a little practice and a pocket knife.

Here my first pancake style. I've made several cowboy holsters in slim Jim and Cheyenne style previous.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Holster-I-made

Very nice indeed!

I've made several rough out holsters including full flap butt to the rear, not cavalry style. If you are dragging thru the brush you don't have to worry about trash getting in or your gun getting scratched up. I also use a teardrop shaped plug in the bottom, it helps keep other stuff from getting in, and holds the shape of the tube away from the muzzle , which is where wear usually shows. I left mine completely plain and let the color come naturally. If you want to give it some decoration get out your wood burning kit and "brand" it, just don't over do it!
    Another benefit of the rough out leather is it wears less against the finish of the gun. If the outside of the holster starts looking drab, you can return it to nearly new in appearance by going over it with a plain old wire brush. A little neutral polish on the inside and some saddle soap, will keep the leather "live" for a long time. Totally drying out and getting brittle is what will kill the usefulness quicker than anything. The treatment I suggested, once every year or so is usually all that is needed.
    Always use full grain leather with both the "Hair side" smooth & the "Flesh side" or rough side.
    Never use the kind that has been split away from the hair side, like those crappy 2 or 3 dollar work gloves that fall apart after the first time they get wet or you try to do some serious work while wearing them. The leather companies make those splits so they can get 2 hides for one, and they are just junk. Also use Oak tan whenever able, it's top notch stuff. I also won't use Mexican tanned leather from south of the border the process makes the leather stiff and brittle, and it won't last.
    Some of the best companies will send their leather to Mexico to make boots and holsters & etc., but they make sure it is used in THEIR products, and they get the cheap labor!
    One last suggestion, you can make the belt loop on the back with a couple of the heavy "Dot" Snaps so you can put it on or take the holster off of your pants belt without having to take your belt off. Sew it if you didn't make a flap at the top and put the snaps on the bottom they will hold much better that way, if you made a flap type belt loop, you don't need to do any sewing! If you do skive round thin leather discs about the size of a quarter to glue with good contact cement over the metal part that may rub on the gun on the inside of the holster make the edges thin so they won't catch on the gun., "Barge Cement" is about the very best that you can get in small packages.
    I hope y'all enjoy my suggestions.
    Gabby
    Last edited by Gabby; 05-10-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Real nice, Bazoo...good reference for future attempts...

Thanks, 2A-Jay...

Gabby, really appreciate the info and tips...

Quote Originally Posted by sonoransixgun View Post
    Made my first holster....there were a few "learning moments"....but it works!

For a first ever holster That was DARN good, I like the straight even stitches. Next time get some leather driving gloves to keep from tearing up your hands when you are pulling them tight. Dampened leather will also allow the stitches to pull into the leather, which will allow the stitching to last a lot longer, and you don't have to cut grooves.
    Keep it up, if you can come across any instruction books by Al Stohlman, (SP?) you might want to grab them if you get serious about leather work. They used to be available thru Tandy Leather, but I haven't looked in years. There are tons of DIY how to videos available on the net, and it looks to me like you have been studying them Go for it, even some of the poorer ones can still give you some good info.
    Gabby