WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you ride?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Is that a ZX12R???
    Yes it is. My second one, the original 2000 with full power . Talking about ZX:s, I have had two ZX-9R:s (-98 and -03)and an old (-89) ZX-10,too.

Adjusting to a Road King after all the Ninjas is... interesting.

Boolit Master
    Goldwings for years,dirt bikes when i was younger,yesterday i bought a CanAM defender 1000 Lonestar easy to give grand kids rides in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yes it is. My second one, the original 2000 with full power . Talking about ZX:s, I have had two ZX-9R:s (-98 and -03)and an old (-89) ZX-10,too.

Adjusting to a Road King after all the Ninjas is... interesting.

The Road King has to be a little easier on the back for longer rides. Definitely two different styles of riding. I have a friend with 3 Ducati's and while its fun to go out on a shorter, spirited ride on one every now and then, I'll take my Roadglide if I'm going to do a 6 or 7 hundred mile day.

Boolit Master
    Ive had one Cruiser style bike and it was an adjustment. Good grunt down low but tapering off very quickly. Getting used to the front end wanting to flop side to side took time and muscle. Put 30k miles on that bike before going back to a sportier ride and have stuck with those. We will see what the future holds. Always wanted one of each style, cruiser and sport bikes, in the garage at the same time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Always wanted one of each style, cruiser and sport bikes, in the garage at the same time.
    I'm at three now. A RK, a Ninja and a -95 Africa Twin, low prices,low insurance costs. Lots of fun in the woods. Good sports!

I'm still not sure whether I NEED a cruiser at all but time will tell. I may not be old enough yet. (spell "grown up")

But any bike is better than no bike at all.

I ride trail scooters in the rocky Mountains off NM. With hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails in the state you can spend hours exploring the forest and desert lands.
    I have restored/upgraded several trail scooters from the late 50's to 2005 to ride. The rides are a good work out for me and the bikes as the Rocky Mountains are appropriately names.
    Here is one of the vids I did riding my 2005 Hawg-Ty that I have added electronics to for GPS,cell phone charging and lights.
    With the tires inflated to 5 PSI and a TAV added ( torque converter belt drive) the bike will climb just about any trail I have encountered so far.
    With the stay at home order in place, the library's are closed which have access to very high speed internet. I have several more vids that I cannot upload in a timely manner due to the slow internet at my place.

1960 Trail King. Two speed oil filled transmission-500 pound cargo capacity-used in its day for Uranium prospecting.
    [/url]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail King left side.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	262318

Heathkit Hilltopper 1971. Wide tires,low pressure great in sand and climbing boulders. Geared 10:1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreyhoundengineR.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	262319

Hawg-Ty in Coyote Canyon,NM
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BocznN5ZefM&t=44shttp://[url]https://www.youtube.com/...znN5ZefM&t=44s

Neat! I never knew trail scooters was a thing. Looks like fun. My ride this weekend...

Boolit Master

OK - just got back from the dealership. Just bought a Harley XL1200NS Sportster. My current ride is a Kawasaki VN1500. This is my first HD. Plenty of low end torque, just enough power and good mileage. It's pouring down rain, so I didn't ride it home - I'll pick it up tomorrow after work.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I'm at three now. A RK, a Ninja and a -95 Africa Twin, low prices,low insurance costs. Lots of fun in the woods. Good sports!

I'm still not sure whether I NEED a cruiser at all but time will tell. I may not be old enough yet. (spell "grown up")

But any bike is better than no bike at all.

Ooh! The Africa Twin is an amazing bike! I nearly pulled the trigger on a V-Strom but secretly lusted after the Africa Twin. I owned a Suzuki DR-650 for a couple of years but it was too dirt oriented for anything other than zipping around town or the woods.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    OK - just got back from the dealership. Just bought a Harley XL1200NS Sportster. My current ride is a Kawasaki VN1500. This is my first HD. Plenty of low end torque, just enough power and good mileage. It's pouring down rain, so I didn't ride it home - I'll pick it up tomorrow after work.
    Congratulations! I've only owned one Harley; a `97(?) Road King. I got it cheap and took it straight to the HD dealer for a total fluid change and changing of anything it needed to make it perfect. $1200 bill. Rode it for 2-3 years without any issues. It was a great bike.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    I ride trail scooters in the rocky Mountains off NM. With hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails in the state you can spend hours exploring the forest and desert lands.
    I have restored/upgraded several trail scooters from the late 50's to 2005 to ride. The rides are a good work out for me and the bikes as the Rocky Mountains are appropriately names.
    Here is one of the vids I did riding my 2005 Hawg-Ty that I have added electronics to for GPS,cell phone charging and lights.
    With the tires inflated to 5 PSI and a TAV added ( torque converter belt drive) the bike will climb just about any trail I have encountered so far.
    With the stay at home order in place, the library's are closed which have access to very high speed internet. I have several more vids that I cannot upload in a timely manner due to the slow internet at my place.

1960 Trail King. Two speed oil filled transmission-500 pound cargo capacity-used in its day for Uranium prospecting.
    [/url]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail King left side.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	262318

Heathkit Hilltopper 1971. Wide tires,low pressure great in sand and climbing boulders. Geared 10:1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreyhoundengineR.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	262319

Hawg-Ty in Coyote Canyon,NM
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BocznN5ZefM&t=44shttp://[url]https://www.youtube.com/...znN5ZefM&t=44s
    Very interesting , thanks for sharing!

World economy (and brand popularity) are so very strange things, where I live 20+ year old 60+ k miles touring Harleys run @ 10 k USD and up. But you can find 30 k miles Ninjas & Africa Twins for 1500.

I'm waiting for a better weather for my first ever Road King Twin Cam oil change,got all the tools,filters,gaskets and seven quarts of Amsoil ready. Compared to jap bikes,this is going to be different. Need to take a look at those tensioners,too.

Boolit Master

Petander, do yourself a favor and get the updated oil pump, cam plate and tensioners for the Road King. A relatively easy change if your a bit mechanical and will take the worry of the lousy spring tensioners out of the equation. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Boolit Buddy
    I have ridden the same 1965 FLH for well over 30 years, don't really remember exactly. several before that, still have a 63 model G servicar. not ridden much last 2 years due to people and their cell phones. things are not what they once were. still ride the atv's nearly every day here at the house, miles of trails.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Late to this party. Still got my 09 klr 650 probably run it until I quit or it quits. Don't ride as much as I used to due to work and pure laziness. Sold my Raider a couple years ago wishing I had that one back. Might buy mr a Harley or something some day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Petander, do yourself a favor and get the updated oil pump, cam plate and tensioners for the Road King. A relatively easy change if your a bit mechanical and will take the worry of the lousy spring tensioners out of the equation. Feel free to PM me if you would like.
    Thank you Finster,

I think I'll let professionals take a look inside and then decide between A) a new pump and a hydraulic tensioner system or B) get rid of chains altogether and go with sprockets and new cams etc...

Peace of mind

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Ooh! The Africa Twin is an amazing bike! I nearly pulled the trigger on a V-Strom but secretly lusted after the Africa Twin. I owned a Suzuki DR-650 for a couple of years but it was too dirt oriented for anything other than zipping around town or the woods.
    How come I never heard of the Africa Twin ?
    Looks awesome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    How come I never heard of the Africa Twin ?
    Looks awesome.
    Yeah, they are sexy and capable bikes, but a bit spendy at $15k to $20k for new ones...

Attachment 262430

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yeah, they are sexy and capable bikes, but a bit spendy at $15k to $20k for new ones...

Attachment 262430
    I did a bit a research last night after posting. Seems they weren't imported to USA until '16 or '17.
    I'm not sure what to think of these new 1000 and/or 1100cc engines in that style of bike.
    But the 650 and 750 that were made 10 to 20 years ago sound interesting...but none in USA

There are 3 of the 1000cc bikes listed for sale near me. one is advertised as NEW 2017 model (60 miles on ODO) for $9k
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I did a bit a research last night after posting. Seems they weren't imported to USA until '16 or '17.
    I'm not sure what to think of these new 1000 and/or 1100cc engines in that style of bike.
    But the 650 and 750 that were made 10 to 20 years ago sound interesting...but none in USA

There are 3 of the 1000cc bikes listed for sale near me. one is advertised as NEW 2017 model (60 miles on ODO) for $9k

I have a good friend with one of the newer ones. I can't say I know that much about them but he loves it and has had it for a couple of years now. He bought it in Mich. flew up and rode it back.

Boolit Master

Used to ride. Hit a deer doing about 80. Wasn't pretty for me, the bike, or the deer, but I walked away. Deer ended up in my freezer. Fixed the bike and sold it. Figured that was my cue to bow out. Careful riding can eliminate a lot but not all accidents and you just don't have much protection on a bike.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast