Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have had it with Robocalls

I have had it with Robocalls

I just got my 15th call on 2 cell phones today. I have my personal cell and one dedicated to a large condo building that I manage.
    I have both numbers on the do not call list but that doesn't make any difference.
    What can be done (if anything)? I am getting to the point that I am not answering the phones and if they leave a message, fine. I'll return the call if I know them.
    Does anyone know of the ultimate insult to someone from India or Bangladesh you can give someone that calls?
    I have had it!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

I give the whole problem due to lazy, inept, cheap phone companies. They are doing squat to stop them inmho and have sent my complaints to the utilities commission and my state senator and to gov Sununu.

They let Fairpoint sell out to consolidated with no reassurances these problems would get corrected.

I agree with you there is no reason for these calls.

Boolit Master
    Google does have some stuff.....just look up how to offend ____________ and fill in the blank. Instant hit.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll keep my comments on insults to myself. The "do not call" lists seem to help very little. We just recently stopped our home phone service, nothing but robo calls and scam calls. I use the "do not disturd" feature on my cell phone.

Boolit Grand Master
    A true robocall will not be offended by your insults. If you wish to insulting a real person, just remember they hate being there making those calls, but need to feed themselves and/or families.

I either ignore calls from numbers I do not know or if I pick up ask to be removed from their list and thank them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I get about a dozen a day. With My Medical problems and Work Comp, I have to keep the "house #". If I don't recognize the area code or hear "bullpen" noise in the background I just hangup.

Although sometimes I have a little fun, like speaking German.
    It can be a riot, some off these people I can keep on the phone for up to 10 minutes.

And I just hang up a lot too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    If you really want to know what’s being done google shaken and stir protocol.

The problem isn’t the phone companies and it isn’t the utilities commissions, and it sure as hell isn’t because Consolidated bought Fairpoint. Nonetheless, the phone companies are working on it with pressure coming from Congress and the FCC.

I keep a couple Rush Limbaugh commentaries, and Mark Levin rants available for robocalls. I plug away until i get a person - then leave them to the audio track.

it actually cut down the calls.

Super Moderator

I have been getting numerous robocalls from MY OWN phone number. My name is on the screen when they call! I answered the first time, and it was Microsoft telling me that I have a problem with my computer. I generally never answer calls I don't recognize, but it was hard to ignore when it was from my own number. I agree, enough is enough.

I get them on my home phone and now what I do it pick up and then do not say anything and let the phone sit take about 2 mins. They hang up. I been doing that now and the calls had slow down some. If you llike put the phone next to the radio and then let it sit and see what happeneds.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Its a pain but I just don't answer them unless the number is attached to a name. If its important I figure they will leave a message. I've done the insult thing and I've done the "string them along" thing but ultimately they have more time than I do.

Boolit Master
    Lately, I have been getting robo calls more often than usual. I don't answer them, and let them ring until they hang up. Then, I tap on the number, and my phone will list all the times and dates they have called previously. Then, the number gets blocked.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Its a pain but I just don't answer them unless the number is attached to a name. If its important I figure they will leave a message. I've done the insult thing and I've done the "string them along" thing but ultimately they have more time than I do.
    Don't be a slave to your phone! Use call screening via LCD display on your phone and answering machine. No message, means I will ignore the call even if it's from a known person. I don't leave a message unless it is really important to communicate with whomever I am calling. And even when left, I often get no reply. It is a two way street. You are the commander of your comm lines!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Moderator Emeritus

I feel/hear and share your pain. To provide an interesting phenomena, the provider for my iPhone changed towers, so I no longer had more than sub-marginal coverage at camp. My Internet provider came up with a great offer -- $14.00/month with unlimited calling -- so I purchased a 2nd iPhone. I use both regularly to MAKE calls, but will ONLY answer calls on the 2nd cellular telephone from family and friends. Further, re any/all on-line vendors and services, I have NOT shared this 2nd cell's number. Here's the interesting part: Having the 2nd iPhone 7 for just one month short of a year, I have yet to receive one single robo call on it!
    My theory is that both when you make calls -- including 800, 888, and similar numbers -- as well as receive calls from vendors and services, somehow that you have a working number becomes available (whom do they pay or get paid?) to the Robo- people.
    I may not know the "real" reason -- but, until (I hope, never!!!) I start getting unsolicited calls on the 2nd cellular telephone -- I'm sticking to it! (As a btw, even on do-not-call lists, I get MANY robo calls to lower credit card interest, voter surveys, etc. on both the home land-line as well as my primary iPhone)
    At least in my case, the fourteen dollars monthly not only provides me a warm and fuzzy feeling that should I be, say, 1,000 feet from road at camp -- I can ring for help; and -- as stated -- NO robo-calls.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I feel/hear and share your pain. To provide an interesting phenomena, the provider for my iPhone changed towers, so I no longer had more than sub-marginal coverage at camp. My Internet provider came up with a great offer -- $14.00/month with unlimited calling -- so I purchased a 2nd iPhone. I use both regularly to MAKE calls, but will ONLY answer calls on the 2nd cellular telephone from family and friends. Further, re any/all on-line vendors and services, I have NOT shared this 2nd cell's number. Here's the interesting part: Having the 2nd iPhone 7 for just one month short of a year, I have yet to receive one single robo call on it!
    My theory is that both when you make calls -- including 800, 888, and similar numbers -- as well as receive calls from vendors and services, somehow that you have a working number becomes available (whom do they pay or get paid?) to the Robo- people.
    I may not know the "real" reason -- but, until (I hope, never!!!) I start getting unsolicited calls on the 2nd cellular telephone -- I'm sticking to it! (As a btw, even on do-not-call lists, I get MANY robo calls to lower credit card interest, voter surveys, etc. on both the home land-line as well as my primary iPhone)
    At least in my case, the fourteen dollars monthly not only provides me a warm and fuzzy feeling that should I be, say, 1,000 feet from road at camp -- I can ring for help; and -- as stated -- NO robo-calls.
    geo
    Give them a little time....they'll find you !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Mobile phone company can block any call that presents as being from a number it doesn't actually come from. They won't even though that simple act would block the vast majority of these calls. Best bet is to ask your elected official to insist the phone companies do exactly that.

I have this week gotten a couple in what sounded like some Asian language, one supposedly from the IRS, and one from the Social Security Administration. And one charity that was an actual person who asked for someone by an different name and then when I told them they had the wrong number went into their donate money spiel. Hang up on most, annoying but not hard work to hang up. I might have been a bit sharp in tone with the guy claiming to be from a charity since I am pretty sure he wasn't being honest with his opening request "is this William?" Don't like scam charities, don't like being fed Bull Spit as though having gray hair means will fall for anything.

Hmmmm wonder if any point to keeping track of them and emailing elected officials each and every time one came in. From one person it is annoying but from a few hundred times the several calls a week.... starts to sound like their inbox would be mighty full and maybe they would get the idea it is really annoying to their constituents so maybe they should lean on the phone companies a bit.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My AT&T mobile phone is programmed so that if I receive a call from a number which is not in my address book that I have the option to "Reject and Block Further Calls" at the push of a button.

I do not answer my home phone unless I recognize the caller ID. The call will then go to voice mail.

Most robo callers will not leave a message, so it is easy to go through the call log and block the spoofed numbers.

If they do leave a message I can also go back and block the number.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I just answer the phone and grunt! Then I speak in some made up language . You know pig-Latin, kiigon, or whatever. Or I repeat everything they say and wait for a response. I kept one idiot on the phone for almost a half an hour once. My wife get mad at me and say I should not even answer the phone. I guess it’s just my evil nature to mess with people
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    A lot of those gigs they arent allowed to hang up. We will answer the phone and set it down. I even went to work and they were there when i came home for lunch. Said "Hi, oh wait hang on." Made lunch and went back to work. Wife came home found the phone off the hook and kindly asked them lose and delete our number completly off the system. They agreed, she hung up. Its been a few months.

My 94 year old grandma says, "Im sorry she died last week". They dont call her house either.

Boolit Buddy
    12 years ago I got sick of paying local phone co/gov taxes $60 a month for a basic business land line, I put the old # on a cell with the family plan for $25 and started using it as my personal # also as I was winding down the company but needed to support old customers while changing job direction. Closed the old company completely 4 years ago but still use the same # for personal use as family and friends have used now for 12 years. I hate the Google listing calls that are a local area code and a canned recording that says press 2 to be removed. That request will never be honored as I don't think it is even a real Google call and if it was you would think that the know all Google could figure out to remove your #. Or the sales calls from 2000 miles away [investment etc.] that are asking for the owner by name like they spoke to them just yesterday and you inform them that that person has been dead for over 12 years [my father] and its like I just insulted them before they hangup.
    Shaune509

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast