Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Air Rifle?

Boolit Master
    That 430 looks like the ideal platform for .177
    Last edited by Boolseye; 05-15-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    The RWS 48 arrived today from Midway in 2 overpack boxes which was great as the outside box was thrashed. I mounted the scope and headed down to the quarry. I set up at 21 yards to sight in the scope. First shot was on paper but the thing that got my attention was the shot went right through the 3/4 plywood backer. The specs say 900 fps which is 100 below magnum but hotter than standard. Looks like plenty of power for small game. I got the scope sighted and tried a 5 shot group and got a 1 inch group, sitting on the ground with a log rest. Some of the drift was heavy breathing from getting my old self off the ground to cock the gun. LOL Gotta build a bench tomorrow and bring a chair.

I'm pleased, first day with an air rifle. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22target.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

You get better with it every time you shoot it. Quality German Air Rifles are fine pieces of machinery and built for lasting accuracy.

One thing you can pretty much count on is the fact that, your gun will be able to out shoot "you" forever.

Gives you something to shoot for.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Congrats, nice purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I bought an RWS model 34 and another RWS model 350 Magnum springers a long time ago. They are both .177 caliber and they shoot beautifully with the Crosmman Premier 7.9gr pellets. I did use the chrony to measure FPS and the model 34 was 970 PFS and the 350 Magnum was 1050 FPS.
    They really messed up my pellet trap. They left deep indentations and one indentation showed a visible crack. I think I need to get one of those .22 LR bullet trap for these rifles. I also shoot my .22 Discovery and now my new Fortitude PCP rifles on it too. I would say any of those rifles are very capable for squarill and rabbit hunting.

The only draw back on those springers is the break force. It may not be as strong as the Hatsan 135 but after a few 5-shot groups, it gives you a decent workout for an old fart as me with shoulder issues. I am enjoying the PCP's now but I have a pump and that is another workout too; except that you get multiple shots. I enjoy reading the stories above and learn a lot about air rifles.

Life is good.
    Camba
    Last edited by Camba; 07-30-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    My 48 is side lever and no problem for me to cock. I've never shot a break barrel so I've no comparison. This is my first experience with air rifles. Dad was an electronics engineer so we had radios not rifles.

I'd like to get into PCP, JAMOM and 44Mag covers the larger chores so it's going to take more justifying. LOL

The 48 is great and I just ordered oil as I'm getting close to 1,000 rounds through it.
    Mal

I did not know Midway did a Bday discount thanks

I think springers are good, gas guns are better and PCP's are the best. I bought a 22 cal Gamo Urban and absolutely love it. You can hand pump but I bought a compressor which is the only way to go for me. I think is any platform the best compromise is the 22 cal. This is my opinion and what has worked best for me. Main thing is to get out and shoot.

Steve..........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Bub
    A great rifle, can be tuned to do whatever you prefer as long as it's below 28ftlb. If maintaining full power, the spring will break eventually.

Boolit Master

I ran into a fellow who had a Ruger air rifle. It was grouping real nice at 30 yards. I was impressed. He said he hunts with it too. Also he said it's made in Germany. Think he said it was 300.00. Not sure if he was B/S'n or not. I was looking at then at walmart before i met him. And what they have are made in china.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Airguns are like 22 rimfires and accuracy can be very pellet dependent.

Try several different pellets before you decide how precisely the gun will shoot.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    I think springers are good, gas guns are better and PCP's are the best. I bought a 22 cal Gamo Urban and absolutely love it. You can hand pump but I bought a compressor which is the only way to go for me. I think is any platform the best compromise is the 22 cal. This is my opinion and what has worked best for me. Main thing is to get out and shoot.

Steve..........
    Steve: Buying a Gamo does not really qualify as a good spring gun or gas ram, they are kind of "entry level". You might not dismiss or rank springers low if you tried a HW97 or a TX200. I have gas rams, springers, a bunch of PCPs including a Wolverine, AirArms 510, Daystate Regal, Seneca 2500, however I still prefer my quality springers the most.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations on buying an excellent air rifle. I have a couple of '52s which are the same except for the stock. One of them is my favorite air gun.

Mine are in .22 and like JSB Express and JSB RS. They are light pellets but I'm restricted to 12ftlb (about 600fps) due to UK laws. The other JSBs don't work so well for me but might be better at full power.

Black Beard: Does anyone actually check the power level of your guns? Would they know if you were at,,, say 15 or more?

Seems like there should be some self important fool occupying that job?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    The RWS 48 arrived today from Midway in 2 overpack boxes which was great as the outside box was thrashed. I mounted the scope and headed down to the quarry. I set up at 21 yards to sight in the scope. First shot was on paper but the thing that got my attention was the shot went right through the 3/4 plywood backer. The specs say 900 fps which is 100 below magnum but hotter than standard. Looks like plenty of power for small game. I got the scope sighted and tried a 5 shot group and got a 1 inch group, sitting on the ground with a log rest. Some of the drift was heavy breathing from getting my old self off the ground to cock the gun. LOL Gotta build a bench tomorrow and bring a chair.

I'm pleased, first day with an air rifle. Thanks for the help!
    You have reason to be pleased. Some might have been surprised at your shot going thru the 3/4 plywood. I'm not. I was surprised when a shot from my Weirhrauch HW95 went thru 3/8 plywood and took a chunk out of the backside. Gives you a whole new respect for the power of these things.

I have sort of wished that I had bought a side lever. When I first got my Weirhrauch HW95, I didn't pay too much attention to the cocking. After an afternoon of shooting about 100 shots, the next day I had such a pain in my right elbow that I almost swore off air guns forever. I have since changed my cocking movement. If tennis elbow is anything like air gun elbow, I'm surprised that more tennis players don't give up the sport.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    I think the only issue that I have had with my Diana sidelevers is when a pellet falls out of the barrel when closing the lever. Solved by using better pellets and by pointing the muzzle towards the ground when loading.

Boolit Master
    I used 50 cents worth of gas to ride my quad to my range and shoot $1 worth of ammo last evening. The scope is well sighted now and groups are mostly one ragged hole but there are a few strays. Maybe 800 rounds shot so far. The mounting screws keep coming lose, one in the foregrip, 2 on the trigger. I tightened them again last night. Anyone use Loctite?
    Mal

I used blue locktite on my summit ranger gas ram and that stopped it. Surprisingly, my new Diana 350 mag. has yet to loosen a screw on the stock. Still don’t have 300 rounds through it yet, but I was expecting them to loosen before now.
    Still keeping a check on them though.

Boolit Master
    Thanks!

I removed the screws to Loctite them and there on the bottom of the action was the spring Oil Hole I was looking for so I did the 1,000 round oiling while it was open.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 11-01-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Mal

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have a Weihrauch break barrel and the accuracy went to pot. I checked the screws and 2 had started working loose. Blue loctite fixed that problem and the accuracy came back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast