Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Air Rifle?

Boolit Master

Which Air Rifle?

I have a birthday discount at Midway. Any recommendations?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Depends on what you want to spend. The best value for money spent is probably a Benjamin Marauder PCP airgun. It shoots as well, or nearly as well, as a high end target model Brit gun. You're going to spent five hundred to seven hundred for one of these. There's a reason they're the number one sold air rifles in the world. I have a Daystate I paid well over a grand for and my buddy just got a Marauder for half as much. His gun shoots 95% as accurate as mine does. It's not as nice looking, but it has a quality barrel and trigger. His gun will shoot .5" five shot groups at fifty yards. Mine does just a tad better. The Benjamin is American Made here in the state of New York. Right down the street from Turnbull.

Moderator Emeritus

HAPPY BIRTHDAY -- a privilege denied to many!!! I've been "in and out or air arms" for quite a few years, and I cannot but agree 101% with NSB! I have two Marauder pistols -- the plain Jane and the Woodsman -- both in .22 calibre, and each adorned with a Leopold 'scope. With every shot I became pleased with my purchase -- soooo pleased I bought the Marauder rifle (also in .22). For an extra ~$60 USD, I bought the PLASTIC stock for my rifle (from Pyramid) which affords me a bit more than a pound less weight to carry in the field; while a one-screw less than two minute task to switch back to the gorgeous wood stock which came on it. I have a Sig Sauer Whisky air-gun 'scope on it (I also have one on my Sig Sauer Nitro air rifle) -- and cannot give anything but a super-plus recommendation on this glass, too.
    Good luck, whichever you elect to get... and again, happy birthday!
    geo

Boolit Buddy

Not everyone has access to air tanks or compressors, which is needed for PCP (unless you want a work out with hand pump).
    If not, then a quality spring piston, or gas piston may suit you. I have an RWS 54 22 cal that hits hard and will shoot ragged one hole groups, but it may be over your budget. For the money, I hear the RWS 34 is hard to beat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oconeedan View Post
    Not everyone has access to air tanks or compressors, which is needed for PCP (unless you want a work out with hand pump).
    If not, then a quality spring piston, or gas piston may suit you. I have an RWS 54 22 cal that hits hard and will shoot ragged one hole groups, but it may be over your budget. For the money, I hear the RWS 34 is hard to beat.
    I'm in my seventies and have several cardiac stents. I can pump up the Daystate to 3525psi/250Bar in about five minutes without killing myself. Unless you're really in very bad condition it's not a big deal pumping one up. Once full, I get about 50 good shots out of the gun. The Marauder goes to 3000 psi and is easier to pump. It's easier to use a bottle on a PCP airgun, but it's not a show stopper not having a bottle.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I'm in my seventies and have several cardiac stents. I can pump up the Daystate to 3525psi/250Bar in about five minutes without killing myself. Unless you're really in very bad condition it's not a big deal pumping one up. Once full, I get about 50 good shots out of the gun. The Marauder goes to 3000 psi and is easier to pump. It's easier to use a bottle on a PCP airgun, but it's not a show stopper not having a bottle.
    Thank you for your reply! I have never had one, as there is no place to charge tanks near me and I have read the hand pumps are a cardiac work out. I stand corrected.
    And now, maybe I'll have to get a PCP!

Boolit Master
    I would opt for a quality spring gun or gas ram and you don't need anything else, the rws 34 or 48 are good guns for the money or the new SIG ASP. AA tx200 and the Pro sport as well as all the weihrauch line are all tops but prolly not sold at the big box stores.

I just bought a Gamo Whisper 22 cal. and two boxes of Red fire pellets. They notified me it is shipped. Under two hundred. Will let youall know how it does and pellet speed after I get it here. Supposed to be much quieter.

Boolit Master
    It all depends what your intended use is. I have a mid 80's .177 cal Beeman imported Webley Omega springer I figure it has somewhere around 30,000 pellets through it. Originally at 800fps it was the fastest gun on the market back then. It is also very accurate and has taken many critters. Beeman to this day contends accuracy drops off when you break the sound barrier with pellets. I have shot several of the new .177cal nitro piston rifles, they are all very loud. Some as loud as a 22LR. I have been looking into a 22cal or .25cal break barrel rifles as I don't want to deal with the PCP guns. If you go with a .177cal get one with the built in suppressor (Legal in all states) like a Gamo Whisper. Hatsan, Benjamin, has several break barrel .22 &.25cal rifles in prices ranging from $125-$300. These would make nice target as well as a nice small game gun.

https://www.midwayusa.com/air-rifles...ctedSort=False

Most air rifle velocities are based on the lightest pellet available which may not be the best choice for your application. Also if they sell a gun in several calibers the listing is going to show the smaller caliber velocity & you may have to search for the velocity for the larger calibers. I'm looking at 750fps in 25cal. Generally the .177 run in the 1,250fps & .22 run about 1,000fps with medium weight pellets.

If you just want to plink in the back yard you might want to stick to .177 or 22cal as the pellets are easier to find locally.

I wouldn't go bellow .22cal myself as the 1,000fps has decent knock down power for small game.

Don't forget a pellet trap at under $20 they not only make a good back stop & target holder but also will allow you to recycle your lead into bullets.

Boolit Master
    One of the most promoted things you can get for airgun shooting is a chronograph. A couple of reasons: first, the manufacturers lie about velocities most of the time. Second, you need to know your actual velocity shot to shot if you're going to develop any confidence in trajectory over distance. These things drop like a rock, not even close to a rimfire even with the higher end velocities. Just a note here on velocity....you rarely get anywhere near 1,000fps with a .22 air gun using any pellet that isn't a non-lead alloy. A 14-16g quality pellet should get you around 850-900fps in most cases. Once you go beyond the sound barrier on a pellet gun the pellet doesn't fly right. It's simply not designed to. Even a .22lr bullet will lose accuracy transitioning back into sub sonic velocities. Most shooters who don't take airgunning seriously don't bother with a chronograph. If you do want to use one, Caldwell makes a couple for around the hundred dollar mark that get very good reviews and can be used for both airguns and centerfire rifles. They're suggested range of operation is 20fps-9999fps with an accuracy error of +/- .25%.
    Here's what you can expect from a mid-priced Benjamin Marauder and/or something like a Daystate or such upper end.
    Attachment 261908

Boolit Master
    I love my RWS Model 48 .22 cal., accurate and hits HARD.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    One of the most promoted things you can get for airgun shooting is a chronograph.
    Once again, I cannot agree more with NSB re the value of a chronograph. My first, too many years back, was paper sheets with a metal/carbon trace you shot through to actuate "Nixie Tube" vaccum tubes; check a table; and record the velocity. Kits were sold to repair now-broken circuits by bullets, and I had some chrony-sheets that probably had more repair links on them than the original circuitry! I graduated up in years to now have both a PACT and a more-modern Oehler than the paper-required one: Their 35P.
    While these function great on the range -- I have Infra-red lights for the PACT -- for airgunning I "discovered" a real nifty (imho) chronograph made by the good folks at FX. It's "beauty" is I simply hang it from the barrel of any air gun (and, I've used it, too, on rimfire pistols) -- and shoot away. All data mysteriously appears on your cellular telephone. (I have both an iPhone 7, and an iPhone 7plus). Pyramid Air (among others) purveys it in the U S two hundred dollar range; with the technology afforded -- I do believe it is a bargain at this price. Pyramid's link is https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/FX_Ra...ronograph/9078
    There are also several YouTube and other videos illustrating it being used.
    As I typed, one needs but hang it from barrel and shoot -- NO setting up stands, shooting through "arms", chancing hitting sensors (I've done it!), et cetera. Hang it on the barrel; turn on cellular telephone (they have a free App); and shoot.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I have a hatsan pcp rifle in .22. has a little magazine to it. good trigger and VERY accurate with the right pellet. I am happy with it.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    Great Stuff Thanks! I have been reading and this fills in a lot of gaps.

I ran into a fellow from South America at the range who was shooting a 38 cal rifle that he had taken deer with. He was using a hand pump as he was on the road so I have seen it done.

22 cal sounds right for me, small game and targets. I could legally shoot my 44s right here but don't want to wind the neighbors up any tighter than they are right now.
    Mal

I have two Marauders, one in .22 and the other in .25. I’ve completely gutted and customized them. However, they were both really enjoyable as stock rifles, and I recommend them as a great starting PCP for folks I know. I’ve seen and shot everything from cheap Chinese garbage to high dollar models, and the Marauders are the best balance of features for the money. If you want to go crazy with them, you can. My custom .22 will shoot sub-MOA out to and beyond 100 yards (MM barrel), so they can be made to be very accurate. And they tend to be pretty darn accurate to start.

As an aside, I also have a .22 Gamo Urban with the BSA barrel, and it’s really great as well, and honestly amazing for $300’ish dollars. Mine needs big headed JSB pellets however (5.53mm+ on my pelletgage) for best accuracy, just FYI. Smaller heads that are common these days don’t shoot nearly as well.

Boolit Master

Which Air Rifle?

I think if I were to have one it would be a magnum break barrel in .22. I have a Hatsan 135. Only drawback is it’s a 10 lb. gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 05-14-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Which air rifle

Began sighting in today at 30 feet Right group is seven shots. Picture reversed. Need to move group to left next. Need to adjust trigger as well. learned to set the butt on the ground and push the barrel down to cock it. Using my bow stringing technique. ( It is 40 lbs ) Hits pretty hard. Handling the pellets turned my fingertips black with lead. Next thing is to put a pellet with it's little red plastic point in the oven to see if it will survive getting Hi Tek Gold treatment. Did my hunting knife quite a while back and it has not rusted. It is hand forged spring steel that will rust easily. The "Whisper" noise at the shot is more than what I would consider to be a whisper. Research the decibel numbers next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200514_123006.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Well I stretched the budget and ordered a RWS 48 today. Complete with a scope and ammo it was $500 delivered. PCP was my first choice but the guns available need sights as well as a power source. The 48 got great reviews for accuracy and quality. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!
    Mal

Boolit Master
    I was checking them out the other day, looks like a great rig. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little late to the party, but I bought one of these for a similar price and have enjoyed it. Cant go wrong with an RWS though.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spr...0l-combo-.177/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast